The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Electric F-150

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here's what I know, I saw AJ ring out the Porsche Super zoomy hybrid whatever supercar at Sebring. For about 3 laps, then it dumped and became a Miata... a very heavy Miata.. a very heavy, expensive Miata.
If that's a harbinger of what we can expect, I'm not impressed.
The new electric has the ability to dump and become a very heavy, expensive, paper weight in the middle of Resume Speed Montana, because , unlike the Porsche.. there's no way home.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
A generator on wheels! What a concept!

"F-150 Lightning can power your home during an outage; it’s even quicker than the original F-150 Lightning performance truck; and it will constantly improve through over-the-air updates.”

you can run your house off the hybrid, (well some of it) they did that in Texas when the green energy went hooters up, but I don't see the electric doing it for very long. Right now, driving a pure electric is hanging on to a very short rope without a net.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I would agree this is the biggest smoke & mirror of the entire idea.
Dunno. Might be the batteries and the current means of constructing them.

My whole point is that people take pretty firm stances on these issues without getting into all the facts or understanding of most of the actual impacts.

My main concern is the potential fallacy of carbon emissions being used as the sole scale to measure by. And even if that’s agreed upon, accounting for the entire life cycle carbon output has been modeled pretty poorly.

Grant 302

A generator on wheels! What a concept!

"F-150 Lightning can power your home during an outage; it’s even quicker than the original F-150 Lightning performance truck; and it will constantly improve through over-the-air updates.”

That’s just the ‘we can do what Tesla does’ marketing and salesman crap. In reality, that’s little more than a UPS backup for your computer. BFD.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
That’s just the ‘we can do what Tesla does’ marketing and salesman crap. In reality, that’s little more than a UPS backup for your computer. BFD.
*looks at all the computers and phones that receive "over-the-air updates," shudders at dealing with that with my vehicle*

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Not to fear. All of the infrastructure to accommodate those OTA vehicle software updates will be in next years $6T Green New Deal for the People Budget. Baby steps. We can’t have it all for free at once.

It is all free right? That’s what I’ve been hearing.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
blacksheep-1 said:
I can completely see the hybrid, but as for electrics, I only can picture them as commuter cars of less than about 300 miles, in an urban environment.

And that is the problem with today's public opinion of the electric cars. An electric car carries a lot of weight due to the batteries, and you need a lot of batteries to have a lot of range, which adds more weight as range goes up...
On the other hand, large vehicles that are anyway heavy because of towing requirements (brakes, suspensions, tires and wheels, plus big torquey diesel engines) don't suffer as much from the extra weight a battery brings into the equation, and those vehicles are the ones that benefit from all that torque all the time... So fitting a battery under the [pickup truck] does not reduce the ground clearance much, nor does it raise the driving position, two massive problems you encounter on a normal passenger electric vehicle with the batteries in the floor.
Yes, a 1/2- or 3/4-ton pickup can carry more battery weight than a small car if you're looking at percentage of vehicle weight, and that helps range. But I think the sweet spot is a PHEV that uses an engine as a generator to add range. By using it as a generator instead of driving vehicle motion directly, it can be run in a tight rpm range where it's most efficient. The battery is still needed as storage for regenerative braking. And why not make it a turbine instead of a piston engine, while we're at it? FedEx is giving it a try.

Grant 302

Yes, a 1/2- or 3/4-ton pickup can carry more battery weight than a small car if you're looking at percentage of vehicle weight, and that helps range. But I think the sweet spot is a PHEV that uses an engine as a generator to add range. By using it as a generator instead of driving vehicle motion directly, it can be run in a tight rpm range where it's most efficient. The battery is still needed as storage for regenerative braking. And why not make it a turbine instead of a piston engine, while we're at it? FedEx is giving it a try.

“...nearly 700 aircraft...”

I think they should look there if they really want to affect their carbon footprint more.

That’s interesting news on their hybrid diesel testing. But I’m sure they’re more focused on the cost savings and optics. Not that that’s bad thing.

But for the F-150, I’m wondering if it could use NiMH for some of its strengths over Li-ion.

TMO Supporting Vendors