The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Electric Vehicles are Here: EV Owners Check-In

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
All this talk of electrics got me wondering what a "gallon of electricity" costs. The last couple of rental cars I've had ran about 30 MPG, which is about $3.50 or so in the Pacific Northwest. If your EV goes 30 miles, how much does the charge cost from your home electric bill?

BTW, there used to be a meme about "what if Microsoft made cars?" where there was along list of problems that would be considered "normal" and easily fixed with a CTRL-ALT-DELETE combination.

I sold my Fusion Energi to my brother and bought a Focus Electric this past weekend. The Focus is obviously on the lower end of the spectrum but should do what I want it to quite well. The range is rated at 115 miles but my impression is I'll get about 95 initially since I drive fast on the freeway. Cost for my 30 mile commute will be about $1.75 based on my 14 cents per KWH cost.

It's surprisingly fast. Faster accelerating than the Fusion was. It's small of course and that's my main beef. When I pull up to a stop and look left all I see is the B pillar.

Out the door with all taxes, licensing, etc. with the Federal Tax Credit and State Rebate- the cost was just over $19k. All I'm asking of it is to hold me over until Ford pull their heads out and starts selling a decent one.

That was quick. I didn't realize they have 115 miles of range.

Speaking of range anxiety we took ours out for the first "long" drive on Sunday. It was about 160 miles round trip and still had 112 miles of range when we returned. We lost about 10 miles of range because someone has to drive 80 mph everywhere he goes. :rolleyes: I drove home about 65 of the 80 miles on the fwy and using the traffic aware cruise control, TACC, I never touched the brake or gas. The GPS knew I was on an interchange and dropped my speed from 77 mph to 65 automatically. As soon as I merged back onto the fwy it took me back up to 77. I was very impressed.

Yep. When I get an idea to get a new car it usually doesn't take long. I hadn't heard about that feature you describe, but it seems like just another useful step in the right direction.

It's part of the enhanced auto pilot or EAP. There are two parts, the TACC and lane steering. Once you turn on the EAP and turn the wheel the lane steering turns off. While we've tested full EAP I'm not ready to use it. I can see how you can quickly get bored and stop paying attention. I'm not in a hurry to be a beta tester.

BTW our 2013 Ford Fusion has the adaptive cruise control but it's nothing like the one in the Tesla.

My only two beefs with the Ford ACC were the tendency to hit the brakes on a sweeping turn on the freeway when it detects cars in the other lane going a lot slower, and the herky jerk if the guy in front of you is pulsing his gas pedal.

I have a 2.65 kWh solar system and I make MONEY even charging our Model 3. I'm on a plan called "Time Of Use." Basically all electricity between 2PM and 8PM is 4X more than the electricity I use between 10pm and 8am or the "off peak" times. So I charge my car during the off peak times and all my solar energy generated goes back to the grid at 4X the cost that I draw from. It's amazing.

Admittedly, I don't do a ton of driving a week but a zero cost for fuel is great. Today, we just ended up leasing a Chevy Volt on the cheaps (replaced a dead 2006 Prius) so the household is all American and all EV currently! :) Would've gotten a Ford if they had any decent offerings on the Plug In EV or EV in general...

Rick, all kinds of stuff broke on it, for a while the screen that showed you your speed, fuel left, etc broke. My girlfriend drove like that for at least 20K miles which was no bueno, but I finally found a local shop that would hack the circuitry instead of replacing the part (part was $1800). Interesting thing about the screen, the odometer did not increase in any mileage in that time. On top of the black screen, we were getting a code that the cat might be broken. But the straw that broken the camel's back was that we got an error code that the hybrid motor and the gas motor ECUs were having connection issues and the car stalled out one morning on her way to work. Despite all that, the battery was running strong the entire 200K+ miles with no sign of degradation, it was just a ticking time bomb of unreliability to me. (So much for Toyota reliability???)

I really do like the Bolt but I missed all the awesome lease deals...the Volt lease was a little over $8K for 3 years without any rebates applied ($6K with the 2K in rebates applied). We put the entire lease under my girlfriend's name so we were eligible for all the rebates. ;) And honestly it gave us a buffer to figure out if we ever need to take longer trips with a "gas" car even though I'm sure the Model 3 will do just fine.

I forgot to attach an obligatory photo

murrica_ev.jpg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors