The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Electric water pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was chatting with Shaun at AED about my planned cam, intake and tune upgrade and he suggested an electric water pump. He said it was worth 12HP. I did this mod way back in 1994 with my LT1 Camaro but sold the car before I was ever able to put it on the track. The buyer sent me video of the car running at Texas so I know it worked. I haven't heard anyone on this site mention doing this.

From what I remember, it was the drag crowd that was doing this mod but if the pump flows as well or better than stock I'll take 12HP. I believe it was a Meziere pump as well but not at that price.

That’s typically for drag racing. Look at the factory race cars for how to proceed on this.

I run one on my drag car and it just quit last month with no warning. When they quit you are done for the day unless you have a spare on hand. I replaced a Moroso electric pump with a Meziere electric pump which cost about twice as much so I hope it lasts twice as long as the last two pumps which only lasted about two years each......1/8 mile at a time. A temperature idiot light is highly recommend as I made a one full pass before I realized it was not working and the temperature gauge was pegged out. Its only advantage is to cool the car down between rounds as the alternator pull will still zap some horsepower.

Tim

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I ran the same Meziere pump in mine as a daily driver, drag car and track car for 8 or 9 years. All of it supercharged and most of it at 700 rwhp with Zero issues.
Besides the extra hp bonus, it doesn't vary flow with engine rpm or cavitate at higher rpm or under flow at lower rpm. Just a constant 55 GPM all the time.
Additionally, this is FREE horsepower. You removing parasitic drag on the motor, not developing 12 more horsepower so it's also easier on the engine.
When you consider what some other mods cost to develop 12 hp its really not what I would call expensive. I have already purchased a new pump for my Coyote swap.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I ran the same Meziere pump in mine as a daily driver, drag car and track car for 8 or 9 years. All of it supercharged and most of it at 700 rwhp with Zero issues.
Besides the extra hp bonus, it doesn't vary flow with engine rpm or cavitate at higher rpm or under flow at lower rpm. Just a constant 55 GPM all the time.
Additionally, this is FREE horsepower. You removing parasitic drag on the motor, not developing 12 more horsepower so it's also easier on the engine.
When you consider what some other mods cost to develop 12 hp its really not what I would call expensive. I have already purchased a new pump for my Coyote swap.

Welp, adding that to the list. I'll take what I can reliably get.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

Adding a Cobrajet setup with TB and all, is about 1800 bucks... and you get about 12 hp over what I have now..... puts things into context!!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Adding a Cobrajet setup with TB and all, is about 1800 bucks... and you get about 12 hp over what I have now..... puts things into context!!!
And it doesn't require a tune. ;-)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
With that pump and a switch for the fan we should be able to dump, a bunch of heat between runs. Adding to my list.
Yes, nice to be able to shut the motor down and it continues to circulate water and cool off.
I have the pump on a switch, so I can warm the motor with the pump/fans off and click the pump on when it warms up. No thermostat needed.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The FRPP one. It was 38amps max so that is probably startup only. I'm guessing steady state is significantly lower than that.

I can't even take the extra 12hp anyways lol.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
I've been talking with Meziere about this pump:

https://www.meziere.com/Products/Co...te-Model-5-0-street-factory-style-pulley.aspx

It's claimed to provide an 8-10 HP gain and they tell me these results were on chassis dyno so it would take into account the added draw on the alternator. Pump draws around 10 Amps.

It's rated for 55GPM free flow, I asked about flow rate under load and they sent me this flow chart:

55gpm pump flow chart.jpg
It's a constant flow pump and they told me it will flow the same as a stock pump when the stock pump is spinning around 2500rpm. Below that RPM the electric pump will flow more, above that the belt driven pump will flow more.

TMO Supporting Vendors