The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Electric water pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Yes, that second one is what I got. Summit has them for a lot less.
The other one looks interesting but I don't know how they manage the plumbing.
I have not had a chance to try this out on a coyote, it worked perfectly on my 3 valve making a ton of hp so I expect it will be similar since heat is heat regardless of the motor producing it but we wont know for sure until somebody tries it.
Also, I run e85 which helps a bunch with heat so I have that going for me.
I guess we are gonna see as soon as somebody hits the track with one. (provided its a true back to back test)
I saw a thread on one of the mustang forums where the whole debate was going on with the nay sayers drowning out the guys who were successfully using them. My name was brought up but these days I rarely respond because there is always somebody who just wants to argue and personally, I don't need that. Those are the guys that kill forums and unfortunately we're seeing them more and more.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well Shaun recomends it so thats a good start, plus all the thermodynamics sounds reasonable... In general Shaun is quite cautious, for example, he nixed my NO2 idea for the track o_O

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well Shaun recomends it so thats a good start, plus all the thermodynamics sounds reasonable... In general Shaun is quite cautious, for example, he nixed my NO2 idea for the track o_O
NO2 is probably not the best fit but I'm sure somebody has gotten away with it somewhere. Yes, Shaun is a damn good source of reliable information.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NO2 is the hot setup for some of the N/A S550 guys in Optima to save the added weight/cooling to go F/I.
I'm surprised it's legal....or is it?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NO2 is the hot setup for some of the N/A S550 guys in Optima to save the added weight/cooling to go F/I.
Biggest problem with it in oval track racing was the potential for fire in a crash...and oval track cars do a fair bit of that.

boardkat

CAMtard
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Lake Oswego, OR
I'm surprised it's legal....or is it?
http://driveusca.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/USCA-2019-Rules_v19.5_final.pdf

"Gasoline, E-85, diesel fuel, bio-diesel, and electricity are the only fuel/power sources to be used in vehicles entered in OSUSC events. Nitrous oxide and octane boosters are allowed; however, alcohol and nitro methane are strictly prohibited. USCA officials must approve any alternative fuel source before entry"

I'd personally never run that setup on my car, but I get why some do.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
http://driveusca.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/USCA-2019-Rules_v19.5_final.pdf

"Gasoline, E-85, diesel fuel, bio-diesel, and electricity are the only fuel/power sources to be used in vehicles entered in OSUSC events. Nitrous oxide and octane boosters are allowed; however, alcohol and nitro methane are strictly prohibited. USCA officials must approve any alternative fuel source before entry"

I'd personally never run that setup on my car, but I get why some do.
Interesting that No2 is allowed but nirtomethane is not....hmmmm.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
What's the latest? Anyone add one in the off season and run it this year?
Me, but that shouldn't surprise anyone, I've been a long time user and proponent of these pumps.
Although I've been successfully running one on my S/C'd 3 valve for years and years this Coyote is a new build, so....stay tuned.

EDIT:
I missed the "and run it" portion of your reply...I haven't run mine yet but I will and expect it to work no differently than before.

120926722_10158841327553535_2077777438970536178_n.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Additionally, @captdistraction ran one this last year and did back to back tests with only a few degrees of difference between the electric and mechanical pumps. This debate is over. Yes, they work.

TX
Additionally, @captdistraction ran one this last year and did back to back tests with only a few degrees of difference between the electric and mechanical pumps. This debate is over. Yes, they work.

I'm a tiny bit gun shy due to the temps down here in TX and the cooling woes I had end of last year (that appear to have contributed to some hurt on the engine--more than later). @Fabman - when you ran yours on the 700/700 3v, did you ever run in 100* weather? What kind of head temps were you seeing?

Edit. I am thinking that the electric pump and a Nascar radiator/oil cooler might be the way to go.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'm a tiny bit gun shy due to the temps down here in TX and the cooling woes I had end of last year (that appear to have contributed to some hurt on the engine--more than later). @Fabman - when you ran yours on the 700/700 3v, did you ever run in 100* weather? What kind of head temps were you seeing?

Edit. I am thinking that the electric pump and a Nascar radiator/oil cooler might be the way to go.
Apparently you haven't been to thunder hill in August....well into the 100 and teens....

TX
Apparently you haven't been to thunder hill in August....well into the 100 and teens....

Oh i've been there. But I also know most Californians are like Texans - they bail at the first sight of rain or hot summer temps :)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Oh i've been there. But I also know most Californians are like Texans - they bail at the first sight of rain or hot summer temps :)
Hahaha....I know what you mean. I've run in 100+ temps and ran water temps around 220/230* at most.

TMO Supporting Vendors