The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Elon Musk statement of owning anything other than a Tesla in 3 years??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I
No, it doesn't. But starting the most successful American car company in a hundred years does. So does simultaneously launching the most successful private space company ever.

I guess if you define "successful" as "lost $1 billion in 2018" and propped up by government subsidies then sure.

Tucker never made any money either. Hopefully Musk is like Henry Ford and does eventually make money.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
I have no respect for Musk. He is a very smart man but his ego and unethical (IMO) business practices are dragging his company down and A LOT of people investing in it. And it sucks because it would have been great to see another domestic company become big and succeed. We have only seen domestics close down the last couple of decades. He wanted to jump in too quickly and too big without having the know how and he often resorts to those outlandish claims which are nothing more than propaganda and scare tactics IMO.

I admire Christian von Koenigsegg. He is also a very smart man and have come up with a lot of innovative car technology to extend the life of ICE's (and started with a Ford modular block!!), but he is more down to earth. It's a very different industry in the hyper car world, for sure, but ultimately, it's the same uphill battle. He challenged established brands but did it methodically and took his time.

Elon Musk is the closest thing to Tony Stark we will probably ever see. He just needs to have people around him who know what it takes to guide him without hindering his ambition.

I don’t think he has that, and until he does, this is where we’re at.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
I definitely agree with that, Rick. He is far from a saint, he's just much more moderate than Musk but he still possesses a lot of Musk's good quality like vision, entrepreneurship, and intelligence. I only used him as an example because sometimes people defend Musk by saying that's what you have to put up with for someone with those qualities but it's possible to have them and be more moderate. With that said, I don't think Musk is a reason not to buy a Tesla. Tesla does make an impressive EV and I would hate to see it fail (as much as I want the ICE to live as long as possible...)

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
He works on the FOMO principal of development. Fear Of Missing Out.
Interesting thought.

To dig into it a little deeper, that suggests that most people are willing to let somebody else tell them what they're supposed to want, and let that run roughshod over what they're currently happy with.

Sorry, Elon, if anything, that tune plays in this house with lyrics from the Fear Of Losing Something I Already Have verse.

Norm

I don’t think it’s so much him telling someone what they want, as it is him creating a need in the customers mind.

When I sold cars years ago, I didn’t really have much success until I realized that people already wanted what I had; I merely had to help them 1) overcome their own objections, or 2)see the necessity over the desire.

Elon is very good at that. He gives us what he considers the best product at a fair price with zero compromises. That is what separated him from the other manufacturers. His ability to start with a clean slate and a fresh approach.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Nobody told me I wanted my Boss...I did that on my on accord( no offense Honda) If you want an EV, you'll get one.Tesla just happens to be the king of that market right now..................
Exactly . . . and Elon's pitch is coming across as him trying to define what "on my own accord" is supposed to mean to me.

Norm

I

I guess if you define "successful" as "lost $1 billion in 2018" and propped up by government subsidies then sure.

Amazon ran huge losses for many years and is now one of the most valuable companies in the world. But no, I define successful as selling a ton of cars and having a pretty happy customer base over a fairly large period of years. It's kind of a loaded question as there really haven't been any successful car companies started in the past 100 years.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I really don't care one way or another. If people want Teslas, go right ahead. What I do care about is the beatification of Musk by the Church of Climate Change and the worship of electric vehicles as some kind of atonement for sins against Gaia. If electric cars are the way trends are moving, that's fine, but I'm not much for hero worship, especially when it feels like it's being forced on me by using my tax dollars to keep them propped up (yes, I know there's a lot to unpack there too).

Obviously I have strong feelings about it, so I will bow out of this one.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel