The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Enclosed trailer options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
I'm looking at a couple of enclosed trailers to haul my GT350 to the track with a 2019 Raptor. I've been looking at the CargoPro Stealth and Featherlite 4926. What else should I look into and what options are a must have? I thought that there was a thread about this but couldn't find it.

Bugs

Jim. Avocation: Avoiding Blunt-Force Trauma.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
Hi Matt, I spent 2 years looking for an enclosed trailer to replace my homemade flatbed trailer. I initially looked at all price/quality ranges and was disappointed in all but the higher-end aluminum trailers. I narrowed my selection to Featherlite, ATC and a newer company called InTech. I liked all of them, but wound up with an ATC 24' Quest CH405. All three were comparable in quality, but I have a local ATC dealer and I got the best deal from them. As Bill P. mentioned, although they are pricey up front, these trailers don't lose their resale value as fast as the others. Here's the ones I looked at:

Best:
  • ATC
  • Featherlite
  • Intech
Others that I liked, but were a notch down in my book (for a variety of reasons):
  • Trailex
  • Haulmark
  • Wells Cargo
  • Exiss
  • Sooner
  • Bravo
  • TPD Trailers
  • Continental Cargo
  • US Cargo
  • CargoMate
  • Pace American
  • Look
  • Interstate Trailers
I've had the ATC for 2 years with no problems. I have the integral trailer-ramp extenders and still needed Race Ramps to get my 2019 GT350 loaded.

Good Luck!
Jim

Here's some photos:
20190822_203341.jpg20190822_203524.jpg20190822_203553.jpg20190825_072917.jpg

Last edited:

Bugs

Jim. Avocation: Avoiding Blunt-Force Trauma.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
Hi Matt, Here's a bit more info. The escape door was a priority for me cause I can't do the "Duke Boys" thing well anymore. Just make sure your door will clear the fender well or that the fender well is removable and your door will clear the tires.

I had over-the-top airline track installed for tie downs after I bought the trailer. Having the rails built in and recessed by the factory is cool, but I wanted better control over the track width as I'm trying to load both a 2019 GT350 and a '65 Mustang. The wheel-track on these two vehicles is quite different and I needed to split the difference. I've used the airline track tie downs for lots of hauling other than cars.

The over-the-wheel type ratchet tie downs work great on the airline track, but it is a bit of a squeeze getting in between the car and the right-side trailer wall.

I knew I wanted interior lighting, but I've found I like the exterior lighting more than I thought I would - especially over the ramp.

I installed a winch in the front of the trailer. The GT350 is very wide and a bit scary to load under its own power because there's only a couple inches of room on either side. The winch makes this much less stressful. Highly recommended.

Jim
20190823_102747.jpg20190927_110150.jpg .

20190822_205612.jpg

drano38

Wayne
SVTMatt, I have a flatbed trailer, but have seen quite a few enclosed trailers at various events. Sounds like you're down to a short list of quality brands.
For accessories, agree with Bugs, lots of lighting is nice.
Winch is a necessity in my opinion.
Side door, that allows the car door to swing open easily is very handy.
Air compressor and generator.
Macs has great tiedown systems, and will make straps to your length for very reasonable prices.
And of course, get the biggest trailer you can -- they always fill up fast.
I'm sure you'll put together a great system.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Thanks for the suggestions for trailer brands and accessories. I'm currently using a Sloan Qwik load rollback trailer, with the new splitter on front it's a challenge to get on and off and I've pretty much used up the whole trailer.
I've been using the Ford tie down hooks with Mac's straps to secure the GT350 and for an enclosed trailer looking into the etrack systems.
Winch is for sure on the list of options.

@Bugs - I'm in WA, if you're heading to the Ridge for track time good chance you'll see me there.

20200521_123357.jpg

I too started out with a Sloan Qwik Load just like yours. I sold it and acquired a 28 foot TPD (https://tpdtrailers.com/). The reason I did this was for structural strength to carry everything I wanted on board. The built in cabinets in the front were adequate for all of my heavy tools, the winch, a large air compressor, and a side slide out for a high-powered generator. In the TPD website pictures you will notice the vertical steel frame members on the right side wall which we attached a wheel rack from front to rear that carries two complete sets of spare race wheel/tires as well as 2 spares for the trailer (mounted high enough to slip right side of car underneath). The built in exterior lights as well as an atached roll out canopy came in very handy. Sorry I do not have digital photos of my rig, no such thing as smart phones back then :) My trailer was 10,000 pounds fully loaded and I hauled it with a diesel Ram.

Enclosed trailers are fantastic in every way over an open trailers except for purchase cost and decreased fuel mileage. Mine has a mini living quarters in it with AC and heater...nothing better than getting done with a track session on a hot day and stepping into a cool trailer to change and relax.

I highly recommend whatever you get to include a winch with a wireless remote controller.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Houston, TX
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead...

I am in the market for an enclosed trailer and have my eyes on a 24ft ATC trailer equipped and finished just like the one posted earlier in this thread. I've identified a few of these trailers where the dealers are asking between $38-$42K (new). Based on the experience of you folks, does this seem like a reasonable price for a trailer like this? If not, what do you guys think is a fair haggle price?

I am trying to determine how badly these prices are covid-inflated, if at all, since I was not involved in the track world until Covid became a thing. If we are only talking a few grand difference - great, but if we are talking $10K or more, I may consider holding off for a while to see if the market cools down a bit. I've heard that some open trailers (new) are now fetching double the price of what they would have been pre-covid but wasn't sure how that translates to enclosed units.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Unfortunately just listing a price is hard to ascertain, because ATC trailers can often have an elaborate interior with cabinets, racks and more. I have seen some trailers approaching that prior to Covid , but with the shortage of various components there is no doubt prices are up. My son has a 20 ft ATC ordered and it is not anywhere near that price, but it also is their basic trailer with no cabinets, racks or other accessories. Right now quality trailers are in short supply , they seem to be selling quite rapidly, but I am not sure this is all Covid related. I tried to find a 24 foot trailer to replace my 26 foot one pre-Covid and was having the same luck you are having. Waiting lists were apparent even then and I was told by a close friend this was caused by tariffs and steel had gotten harder to get and was higher price. Considering the fact that he owns a successful open trailer manufacturing company I am pretty sure you can count this as a valid statement. Trailers were high when I looked back then, but the price varies based on what you do for accessories , so consider that in your equation, as I am betting the ones you found are loaded inside and out.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Houston, TX
Unfortunately just listing a price is hard to ascertain, because ATC trailers can often have an elaborate interior with cabinets, racks and more. I have seen some trailers approaching that prior to Covid , but with the shortage of various components there is no doubt prices are up. My son has a 20 ft ATC ordered and it is not anywhere near that price, but it also is their basic trailer with no cabinets, racks or other accessories. Right now quality trailers are in short supply , they seem to be selling quite rapidly, but I am not sure this is all Covid related. I tried to find a 24 foot trailer to replace my 26 foot one pre-Covid and was having the same luck you are having. Waiting lists were apparent even then and I was told by a close friend this was caused by tariffs and steel had gotten harder to get and was higher price. Considering the fact that he owns a successful open trailer manufacturing company I am pretty sure you can count this as a valid statement. Trailers were high when I looked back then, but the price varies based on what you do for accessories , so consider that in your equation, as I am betting the ones you found are loaded inside and out.
Thanks, Bill. This is helpful. And yes, the $38-$42K is for what appears to be a loaded trailer like the one pictured earlier in the thread. Comparatively, they are asking near $27K for a bare bones 24ft ATC trailer (unfinished wood interior).

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I think you might want to do what I did with my past few trailers and that was to look outside the big city to some smaller Dealers, lower overhead can often reduce the profit margin needed. The other option would be to get a decently made steel trailer, with 5200 lb axles and a few more goodies in the meantime, and then waiting as you suggested to get an ATC or similar in a year of two. I have a steel 26 ft. trailer and I can probably sell it now for what I paid. It does a good job for me, is not overly lavish, but it is a solid build and has been to the East Coast twice, New Orleans, couple times to Colorado, Illinois and Kansas so many times I can not count, so I can't really complain. I have three folks who want to buy it, and as soon as I decide to get a better one down the road she goes. I am just waiting, because over the years the market has flush at times or low on inventory as it is now. Good luck, my friend.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I bought a 28" ATC finished with cabinets and interior a year ago for $10k Less than you see today, for a 24' trailer. YES, Covid has touched the market. Its a great trailer, glad I bought it but wow, the prices are painful to see. All aluminum and it tows much nicer than the steel 24' I had previously.

Hi Matt, Here's a bit more info. The escape door was a priority for me cause I can't do the "Duke Boys" thing well anymore. Just make sure your door will clear the fender well or that the fender well is removable and your door will clear the tires.

I had over-the-top airline track installed for tie downs after I bought the trailer. Having the rails built in and recessed by the factory is cool, but I wanted better control over the track width as I'm trying to load both a 2019 GT350 and a '65 Mustang. The wheel-track on these two vehicles is quite different and I needed to split the difference. I've used the airline track tie downs for lots of hauling other than cars.

The over-the-wheel type ratchet tie downs work great on the airline track, but it is a bit of a squeeze getting in between the car and the right-side trailer wall.

I knew I wanted interior lighting, but I've found I like the exterior lighting more than I thought I would - especially over the ramp.

I installed a winch in the front of the trailer. The GT350 is very wide and a bit scary to load under its own power because there's only a couple inches of room on either side. The winch makes this much less stressful. Highly recommended.

Jim
View attachment 16016View attachment 16017 .

View attachment 16014
That is a very well thought out trailer, the only thing I might add would be a flip out awning on one of the sides, it's easier than wrestling 2 or 3 pop ups, and easy to take down. that's a very nice rig. Sometimes I wish we had one of those instead of the circus we bring to town which takes about 3 hours to unload, setup and get everything ready to use. PITA.

$40K or more is what a ATC Quest CH405 sells for now. You are not going to find it cheaper. ATC prices were going up almost 10% per year prior to COVID. I bought my CH405 in 2018 and prices have gone up approximately 30% since then. ATC cannot make trailers fast enough and will no longer take custom orders for most of their trailer lines to speed production. As a result, inventory is extremely limited on dealer lots and they are not willing to deal a whole lot.

I was in the market for a enclosed trailer a year ago for the reasons listed above. Saw a price increase of around 30-40 % for "COVID" reasons and said *&%K it. These trailers are even made in the PHX,AZ area that I live in. If people keep paying the inflated prices they will keep selling them at that.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I have a old (2018) Atlas enclosed car trailer I paid 10K for new. It was bare bones and through the years I've added whatever I needed. It's not glorious by any stretch of the imagination but it works great for me and I can continue to make it fancier should I choose to do so. As it sits right now, I've got about 15K total into it (Including the trailer) and a ran into a guy at the place I store it who offered 18K as it sits. I only mention this so that you might consider buying a basic and building it out yourself. I promised the cost will be less but it will eat up some valuable sweat tyme. I'll be retiring July 1st of this year and really hope to purdy her up. Good luck in your search.

TMO Supporting Vendors