The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
TMSBOSS said:
Not to argue........ too much but.

Its a casting. All parts are inspectable and replaceable.

If the casting is not damaged, why not reuse??

Because of the reasons I listed above, plus the hassle and UNCERTAINTY for a build being done overseas. *If* using the stock tune, I would rather have an exact matching part. I wouldn't reuse that head. The cost of a full replacement is worth it for the relative cost of the build, when you sell the old casting. We're cluttering the thread at this point....if you want to argue, you are welcome to PM.

big red one said:
I am in the UK but a wreck may be doable as the import duty is low, does anyone have a link to one?

ian
Finding one takes time. I wouldn't bother with that either...unless you have the time to wait.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
big red one said:
I am in the UK but a wreck may be doable as the import duty is low, does anyone have a link to one?

ian

There were a few on Ebay. All over $15k if I remember correctly. You would have to part out everything else to make your money back.

Here is one possibility:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2014-Mustang-5-0-Boss-Drivetrain-Motor-engine-Transmission-MT-82-Coyote-/151414897827?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item234107fca3&vxp=mtr

I don't know what they are going for engines/ cars wrecked in the us. As for shipping to the UK, my brother has a Porsche business in Spain, he ships cars and cars as parts vehicles. Shipping container is like $2000 from Texas to Rotterdam. Since they come in as parts, I'm sure it's not that much, but UK could be different. I'm sure you know what your doing and looking for, it's just another idea I thought of

TMSBOSS said:
There were a few on Ebay. All over $15k if I remember correctly. You would have to part out everything else to make your money back.

Here is one possibility:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2014-Mustang-5-0-Boss-Drivetrain-Motor-engine-Transmission-MT-82-Coyote-/151414897827?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item234107fca3&vxp=mtr

Looks like they are selling the engine and gearbox so it makes it a bit high on price.

Regards the time, i wont be using the car till next spring!

raptor said:
I don't know what they are going for engines/ cars wrecked in the us. As for shipping to the UK, my brother has a Porsche business in Spain, he ships cars and cars as parts vehicles. Shipping container is like $2000 from Texas to Rotterdam. Since they come in as parts, I'm sure it's not that much, but UK could be different. I'm sure you know what your doing and looking for, it's just another idea I thought of

I buy lots of goods from the USA an import the cars myself so i can handle all that side but thanks

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Ian,
i have been down the road you are going down now and i believe your best all around performer is going to be the Aluminator XS. You can either choose to piece it together or buy the crate, but its an excellent powerplant for dual duty.

highlights:
-REAL forged internals (better than the sinter-forged rods your just broke)
-boss heads (superb velocity with great flow compared to aftermarket ported gt heads that flow copious amounts of air, but no velocity...much better street manners)
-billet steel oil pump gears (hold up to high rpm like a champ)
-CJ cams (best exhaust flow of anything on the market and reasonable intake flow for a mix of good low end torque and high rpm power)
-CJ intake (better low end torque than the boss intake and better high rpm power too)
-CJ pulse ring
-12QT road racing oil pan
-100% ALL NEW PARTS!

parts to add:
-aftermarket clutch and aluminum flywheel
-1.88" primary longtube headers with 3" X pipe, 2.75" Over Axle Pipes and a muffler to your liking
-REV Auto 5" CAI/MAF
-Blowfish Shifter Support Kit;)
-AED Remote Tune
-better radiator (i really prefer the mishimoto)

no reason you can't get near the 500 rear wheel horsepower mark without killing off your low end torque like the comp cams bumpsticks would and run 8k all day long! for reference, with what you have now (or had until the "boom") was around 390-400 rear wheel horsepower. a 100hp increase is compelling, no?

if you were going to piece one together, there are a few items i would recommend swapping. valvesprings are the big one for sustained rpm over the long term. next would be ARP head studs. if you wanted to reuse your boss heads, i would have them sent to the states for a livernois rebuild with some bowl work. i had mine done and got before and after flow bench done and found a solid 10-15cfm increase with no low lift loss. you may even want to opt for the bigger valves since some already need to be replaced, which would net a claimed 30cfm. that would be an impressive flow increase to make it past the 500rwhp mark with the accompanying XS treatment and still keep your street-friendly low end torque.

So, three options becoming clear

1. Swap a crate Boss or buy the parts to piece it together maybe $ 12K plus $ 2k fitting by the time i paid the shop to swap

2. Buy and XS $15k and $ 2k swap costs

3. Build a new engine starting with MMS block, costs unknown, can you guys help build this option 3 on paper with me so we can look at the costs as obviously the labour is going to be high

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
first, you could piece together a boss long block for around $6k in parts and reuse your original external parts (timing cover, intake, etc, etc). labor to assemble wouldn't be too terrible, as everything comes pre-blueprinted. the issue is that bearing selection can't be done until you have the parts in hand to see the sizing codes put on the crank and block. that last part is going to be the trick with any UK build.

you can also find a better deal than $15k on an aluminator XS, i'm certain of it. probably $14k is more realistic and FRPP freight is free anywhere in the US, so theres some cost savings to your container.

as for build option 3, the sky is the limit on possibilities. the big bore 5.2L would be super awesome for big power, but it sounds like a new or special item because there's no online pricing for it. probably a $6k short block.

you probably need a cost and power expectation for anyone to realistically help selecting parts.

Guys after much deabte ive decied to go with the Alluminator X/S

reasons being that if i went down the build or even rebuild route i would always have a nagging doubt about the cars engine while on track and i dont want that

So..........

Im going to pull the trigger on the X/S

Now, what other parts will i need do you guys reakon?

ian

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Ian:

IMHO, you made a great decision. Not sure of the other mods you have performed or have planned, but things that come to my mind are drive line and suspension upgrades. A one piece DS, and a new clutch assembly are necessary. I like the MGW shifter and BF shifter support bracket. A small item that really helps with the control of the live axle is the upper diff housing bushing.

Once you have the drive line buttoned up, the sky is the limit on Mustang Mods!

Most of all, good luck with your build and keep us posted on your progress,
302 Hi Pro

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
big red one said:

reasons being that if i went down the build or even rebuild route i would always have a nagging doubt about the cars engine while on track and i dont want that

So..........

ian

Improved clutch like McLeod RST (mostly street & some track) or RXT (mostly track use) to support the increased power.
Replace the clutch slave cylinder with another OEM unit (not much in the way of upgrades out there).

No better time to do these than when the engine is out.

big red one said:

So..........

ian

BOSS

Sucks that the original engine went, but you've made an awesome choice.

Plan on additional money for LT headers, CAI, and a tune. You could use the OEM tune with the Aluminator XS if you swapped out the cams, intake, TB, and injectors, but not sure why you would do that except to keep the stock Tune and stock exhaust. Good Luck and keep us posted!

So best price seems to be $ 13850

From what i can read up here Its comes complete with everything except a tune right?

I have a one piece DS now already so lets discuss the things i should do while the engines out, other mods can wait till i rebuild funds.

So its clutch, Blowfish bracket and Long tube headers right?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You're going to need the CAI that goes with the CJ manifold setup as well. http://fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22940

Tasca and Tousley have it for a bit lower than FRPP's list price.

The engine will come with the TB so no worries there; although if you are going AED tune I hear Shaun will only tune the Mono-blade TB. If you're tuning locally there shouldn't be any problem.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel