The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine check light at the track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have not found anything to that in the forum with by searching for it, therefore here my question. I had for a short time the engine check light while being on the track while driving the car at high RPM. As soon as I saw it I drove a couple of cool down laps and the light was gone. Even with the light I have not fealt any difference while driving, the water temp (OEM only) seemed to be normal, oil I have changed just recently and I check it on a regular basis.

Afterwards I checked the DTC but there was not a single error code which surprised me. Any idea what this could have been? Does anyone has experienced the same?

I will order now fuel pressure and fuel temperator sensors and gauges to have a better view of what is going on with the car while being driven hard.

Orange said:
Thanks, I have neglected this post because I do not see any DTC codes, even after seeing the engine light. What I just learned after reading this post, depending on the code you need a better analyzing tool to get them. I will check it with the dealer in two days if he can read out any DTC error codes, which I do not get.
Yea unfortunately these self clearing codes are like chasing ghosts. In any event it is likely you are experiencing the same random misfire codes so many others have experienced on track and remain unresolved by Ford at this point.

Welcome to the club. Many of us experience these codes on track and you'll get use to them. When the light comes on scan your gauges for problem areas and if you don't find any and your car is running normal put your throttle to the floor knowing your covered under a very good warranty.

I have a 2013 and CEL flashing at high RPM. I found it to be oil temp related. So I started monitoring the oil temp gauge on track and once the oil temp hit the yellow zone on the factory gauge the CEL would flash. After a cool down lap and once the oil temp was back in the normal range the would go out. To prevent this condition, I just lowered my shift points and tried to limit hanging RPMs above 7k.

HackBoss302 said:
I have a 2013 and CEL flashing at high RPM. I found it to be oil temp related. So I started monitoring the oil temp gauge on track and once the oil temp hit the yellow zone on the factory gauge the CEL would flash. After a cool down lap and once the oil temp was back in the normal range the would go out. To prevent this condition, I just lowered my shift points and tried to limit hanging RPMs above 7k.
This is the first time Ive heard of this one. Did you pull the CEL code?

NFSBOSS said:
This is the first time Ive heard of this one. Did you pull the CEL code?

Remember how I said "a friend told me it was oil temps?" ;)

Persuing this hypothesis is why my gauge project is taking priority over suspension upgrades. Of course, I don't think we are all suffering the same thing. I think there are a couple of problems going on.

Jimmy Pribble said:
Remember how I said "a friend told me it was oil temps?" ;)

Persuing this hypothesis is why my gauge project is taking priority over suspension upgrades. Of course, I don't think we are all suffering the same thing. I think there are a couple of problems going on.
I'm getting CELs with oil in the 235* range so I would hope that's not the threshold.

I've seen one temporary cel - surprised when I got back to the its and the light was off.

I had a p0300 - random misfire that was in direct response to hitting the rev limiter.

FYI, I was at the dealer today and he checked the error codes, there none to be concerned about as per his interpretation (but he found some which were not visible via SCT). I asked for a print out which I will receive later and post here.

So I had the engine light for short time and no remaining error codes related to it, which matches the experience of others that the codes are just temporary ones in some cases.

Just in case someone is interested, this is what came out of reading the DTC:
i5ub61.jpg

The code P0803 I have because I have disabled skip-shift.

NFSBOSS said:
I disabled skip shift the first week I owned my car and have never thrown a code.

How have you disabled skip shift? I have done it the old school way and disconnected the two plugs closed to the transmission...

TMO Supporting Vendors