The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone used Seafoam or another sort of engine cleaner on the new 5.0? I thought I read Ford advised against this for some reason but not sure why. Reason for asking is I have had about 30k miles so far of moderate to hard driving with the stock PCV system, soon to be gone. I would like to clean out the motor of the excess oil that has been slowly being burnt before doing away with the PCV.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Brandon302 said:
Has anyone used Seafoam or another sort of engine cleaner on the new 5.0? I thought I read Ford advised against this for some reason but not sure why. Reason for asking is I have had about 30k miles so far of moderate to hard driving with the stock PCV system, soon to be gone. I would like to clean out the motor of the excess oil that has been slowly being burnt before doing away with the PCV.

I highly suggest this product: http://www.autogeek.net/p2125.html. I have no affinity to the company other than I use their products. This stuff is absolutely amazing. Spray it on a warm engine, let it sit for a bit and hose off. It cuts through any grease, shines up aluminium and stainless steel also. It's biodegradable and made form Orange oil. My buddy Dennis turned me on to this stuff and sprayed in on my trucks engine - I could not believe how well it worked. They also make a wheel cleaner that is the best I've ever used http://www.autogeek.net/5litercanister.html.

-Pete

Ahhh, good info to have, however I was looking for cleaning the inside of the engine, with something like/Seafoam.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
My dad runs this through his cars monthly he swears by it. He will occasionally foul out a plug doing it. Best advice is to run air/oil separator so it doesn't get built up in the first place. Make sure to pull it in in front of the throttle body if you do. It's going to require a buddy to rev it while it sucks it in.

I am grabbing a breather from YellowBoss but since I have 30k or so without a can I assume I have pulled maybe .5 a quart or so through. I will have to find a spot on the motor that pulls vacuum and feeds each intake runner equally. Also I think I will be using 90% isopropyl to degrease the intake.

Brandon302 said:
I am grabbing a breather from YellowBoss but since I have 30k or so without a can I assume I have pulled maybe .5 a quart or so through. I will have to find a spot on the motor that pulls vacuum and feeds each intake runner equally. Also I think I will be using 90% isopropyl to degrease the intake.

I had plenty of buildup for only running the car about 1500-2000 miles before adding the canister. There was also a lot of carbon build up on the top of the valves, where the stem is and top of the pistons. I have used seafoam on several Ford engines and don't know the reason why they would recommend against it besides the fact you can hydro-lock the motor if not done correctly. I always used the vacuum line to the brake booster before but have not looked at the Boss to see where a good line is.

The intake come off very easy so you may consider pulling it off to clean. You can even use the same gaskets but for the cost getting new ones is a good idea, they are simple to install. In my case I had more build up of the oil in the heads and the intake was cleaner.

Picture of the head here:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4357.msg86842#msg86842

Justin said:
so did you do the seafoam? the passenger side PVC line should work well for doing the treatment.

Once I get the catch can I will either use the Seafoam or see if I can find something else that will break down the carbon and the oil.

Justin said:
nitrious cleans out an engine really well lol
Plumbing and tank and all that, and then whether I do a wet or dry shot, just seems like its way more work then a 10 dollar can, but I like where your heads at.

TMO Supporting Vendors