The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine Heat question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
Mine gets so hot, the hood prop rod burns my hand when I open the hood. I usually prop my hood open after I come back home from a long drive. The engine is still hot to the touch 3 hours later.

Brian

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
My garage is attached to the house as I am sure many of yours are.... I have to open the hood and leave the garage open with a fan blowing out or else the heat actually comes into the house and makes the central a/c in the house run longer than necessary. Guess the trade off will be in the colder months ahead this car will heat up the garage so I a can detail her in warm comfort.

After taking my Boss out for its daily ride I park it in the driveway with the hood up to get rid of some of that heat. After an hour or so I put it in the garage & the garage doesn't feel like an oven. In the colder months I'll just drive it right in the garage & save on my heating bill.

it's not just the BOSS's that run hot. The GT's do as well. The issue is the cooling system to be honest. The way the heads are set up and the cooling jackets, its limited towards the front of the motor. Your back side will tend to run a little hotter. We will be coming out with a cooling head mod here shortly that will run the coolant on the back sides of the heads from one side to another. An issue that was around for the Mach 1 and Terminator's. Another way of helping this is having your tuner set your fans to kick on sooner. This will help a lot actually. Your thermostat is another issue because Ford commands these cars to run at over 200 degree's. I'm sorry but thats just stupid. You can easily add a 160degree thermostat or drill 2 small holes in your stock one. Another thing to help keep it cool underneath and is a cheap easy mod is the LS transmission cooler scoop. not expensive at all either.

STEVE@BBR said:
it's not just the BOSS's that run hot. The GT's do as well. The issue is the cooling system to be honest. The way the heads are set up and the cooling jackets, its limited towards the front of the motor. Your back side will tend to run a little hotter. We will be coming out with a cooling head mod here shortly that will run the coolant on the back sides of the heads from one side to another. An issue that was around for the Mach 1 and Terminator's. Another way of helping this is having your tuner set your fans to kick on sooner. This will help a lot actually. Your thermostat is another issue because Ford commands these cars to run at over 200 degree's. I'm sorry but thats just stupid. You can easily add a 160degree thermostat or drill 2 small holes in your stock one. Another thing to help keep it cool underneath and is a cheap easy mod is the LS transmission cooler scoop. not expensive at all either.

How does the LS tranny scoop help with engine temps?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
STEVE@BBR said:

I assume that a 160 degree thermostat cannot be used with the custom tune since the stock tune assumes certain engine temps. Is this the case? Also, why would Ford force a 200 degree implementation if a lower temp is better overall? Is there a reason for what they did in the original design?

Emmisions. Hotter temps burn off hydro carbons
The tuning i used to do at my shop on late
Model chryslers did the same thing

In fact those cars picked up power. I recored
1 hp increase for every 2-3 degrees in coolant
Temp drop also

fduboss302 said:
STEVE@BBR said:

How does the LS tranny scoop help with engine temps?

I was stating that as another cheap cooling mod for the car in general. The transmissions run hot as well

i too trimmed my hood mat around where the 2013 vents are. this works as i could not really feel anything going on before. now while the car is running you can see the heat rise and the vents themselves are much hotter than what they where before. so in my opinion its working.

not that what im saying is very scientific..

gremlinsteve said:
i too trimmed my hood mat around where the 2013 vents are. this works as i could not really feel anything going on before. now while the car is running you can see the heat rise and the vents themselves are much hotter than what they where before. so in my opinion its working.

not that what im saying is very scientific..

When I first looked at a 2013 I said that very thing---You have to trim the bottom cover or they are useless. Glad to hear it works.

TMO Supporting Vendors