The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine Heat question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
Wow, this engine gets hot!! I know the vents on the 13 must help quite a bit, but I had a question. Has anyone removed the weatherstrip on the bottom of your hood towards the back? It looks like it seals off the back of the engine compartment. I think if you removed it, it would allow air to flow out the back and might help reduced lift of the hood at higher speeds. Thoughts?

Brian

drano38

Wayne
I removed mine. Makes sense that it might help.
Don't know if it made a difference.
Best test would be doing it at the track--a before/after test.

jeepinocala said:
Mike5876 said:
Mine gets hot...especially with 2 turbos...I trimmed the hood blanket around the vents..helped a bit

Post a picture of your engine?

Hi jeepinocala...I lived in Ocala once long time ago.....if I email a pic...can you post it here? Can't do from iPad My email is [email protected]. If yousend me a note I'll reply with a pic. Thanks. Mike

I just got your pictures. That is a stomping Boss I could imagine it ownes the area it is driving in. Damn I have been looking at Kennebell mamouth they have a good price and really is my max amount to blow on the boss. I bet that would piss off every gt500 owner pretty quick.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
jeepinocala said:
I just got your pictures. That is a stomping Boss I could imagine it ownes the area it is driving in. Damn I have been looking at Kennebell mamouth they have a good price and really is my max amount to blow on the boss. I bet that would piss off every gt500 owner pretty quick.
post them pics

Justin

man thats crowded. I want that kit so bad. just waiting for a detailed install on it with some real track times. dont need a dyno queen I want a performer at the track (heard bad things with there single kit)

hows the drive ability?

Drive ability is like stock plus 350hp. Lol....car is being featured in Muscle Mustangs And Fast Fords magazine....should have everything install info .....driving impressions....I just would rather open the hood and see 2 turbos than the typical blower.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
ArizonaGT said:
I doubt that removing that weatherstrip would help, it would actually suck air INTO the engine bay (cowl induction style).

Interesting. I hadn't thought about that. I thought there would be more air coming from the front.

Brian

Its true, this engine gets HOT... I let mine sit for 2 hours after a short drive around town (maybe 10 miles total), and it was still pretty warm after 2 hours of sitting... don't even try to raise the hood after a long drive, you will burn your fingers... its seems weird that the engine bay gets that hot, but for some reason it does... I assume its normal since others are experiencing the same thing...

I thought my garage was hot enough just living in the 110 texas heat, but after a drive in the boss its really heats up the garage I can't stand to be in there if ive just driven it! :mad:

I've had mine for a month now but the seriousness of the heat issues really just hit me. I went in the garage a couple of days ago 2 hours after I had gotten home. The hood was still warm! I couldn't believe it was like that 2 hours later. I think that my first significant mods are all going to be heat management related. The handling, braking, looks, etc type stuff is cool but long term heat management has the potential to affect engine longevity, especially here in Florida. I'm thinking the 302S grill and hood are probably gonna be first up with an upgraded radiator and air/oil cooler shortly to follow.

Shawn

Justin

TMO Supporting Vendors