The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine not reving past 2K rpm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
Had a problem this weekend. After idling for a minute or more at a stop light,atempting to rev the engine and give it gas, it wouldn't go past 2k rpm or so. Almost like it was getting no gas at all. Had to feather it for several seconds and it would then catch and rev up so I could go. It happened 3 times and again this morning.Had the Trak key in for all of them. Today, I caught a red light and it did it again, switched keys as quick as I could and it fired right up, no problem. Called ford yesterday and today,told me don't use the trak key and drive it for a couple more days and he would in the meantime contact Ford Racing and see what he could find out. So, silver key works fine and red key has problems.I thought maybe gas related, bad tank of gas? But, Its been on two fill ups with different gas. Had one tank of ethanol free last week (93) octane and ran fine. Premium gas all the time ,also 93 octane. So, I'm thinking a glitch of some kind in the download?Any one else have a similar problem?

zzyzx

Steve
It almost sounds as if the launch control is getting activated that's a feature of the TracKey. Odd.

It sounds like the launch control, which kind of messed me up too. until I remembered that It's preset at 2k something. Try putting it in neutral, foot off the clutch and then see if it'll rev beyond that. I raised mine to 3400k, although I might need to lower it.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
I've never used the launch control. I just use the red key and go.Was good for a week and a half since the download before having this problem.How do you use the launch control?

fbbob96 said:
I've never used the launch control. I just use the red key and go.Was good for a week and a half since the download before having this problem.How do you use the launch control?

It's "active" every time you put the Red Key (assuming you have the TracKey software installed) into the ignition...

Try raising the Launch Control RPMs to around 3,000 and see if the "problem" goes away...

If you aren't moving and the clutch pedal is engaged, the car "thinks" you are sitting at the Christmas Tree waiting for the Green Light...

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
Call me stupid! How do you raise the launch rpm's? I looked up the trackey site and read about how to do it. I'll take it out tomorrow morning and try to figure this thing out

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
yeah I am willing to bet its the launch control default is 2k. you can test it by holding the clutch down and smashing the gas. it wont engage while the car is moving or the clutch is released. just raise it to 3500 or higher.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
Talked to Ford Performance and they said the same thing as you. I may have somehow set the launch control and didn't even realize it!? If I did, how do you cancel it all together? Nothing on the web site on how to do it and even FP wasn't sure.

fbbob96 said:
Talked to Ford Performance and they said the same thing as you. I may have somehow set the launch control and didn't even realize it!? If I did, how do you cancel it all together? Nothing on the web site on how to do it and even FP wasn't sure.

You can't disable it... It is there by default when you use the TK...

All you can do is raise the RPM enough where you aren't hitting the pre-set limit...

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
07SGT0547 said:
fbbob96 said:

All you can do is raise the RPM enough where you aren't hitting the pre-set limit...
Guess thats what I'll do then. I'll try about 3500 or so

If driving on the highway, why use the track key? Really not much benefit to it all I can detect running it on a track, but more importantly states to only use the key on the track.

Use the black key on the highway, problem solved.

07SGT0547 said:
fbbob96 said:

I think the Laguna does not have this.
I may be wrong any back up.

frosty said:
If driving on the highway, why use the track key? Really not much benefit to it all I can detect running it on a track, but more importantly states to only use the key on the track.

Why would you do that? I run the red key all the time and will run it everyday of it's life.
I have mine set at 3400 and with TC on it doesn't bog like it will set lower. It does spin just a little tho.

Justin

KK1826 said:
07SGT0547 said:
fbbob96 said:

I think the Laguna does not have this.
I may be wrong any back up.
the LS does have it if you have the trackey for the that LS

Justin

frosty said:

All I drove with was the trackey. Now I have a steeda CAI and tune and I dont miss the trackey at all.

07SGT0547 said:
fbbob96 said:

Seems like I read where you can disable it.

Justin

jeepinocala said:
07SGT0547 said:
fbbob96 said:

Seems like I read where you can disable it.
Maybe I am missing something? But I dont see where you would do that anywhere in the instructions.

LAUNCH CONTROL:
The launch control feature of TracKey comes from the Ford Racing Cobra Jet and Boss
302S race cars. It is designed such that when the clutch pedal is depressed, the
maximum engine speed is limited to a driver selectable value. When the clutch pedal is
released, the engine is allowed to accelerate to the normal maximum engine speed
limit. This allows for more consistent launches at the drag strip or at the starting line of
a road course.
To use launch control, the vehicle must be stationary and the clutch pedal fully
depressed. After making sure there are no obstructions in front of the vehicle, select
first gear and press the accelerator pedal to the floor while keeping the clutch pedal fully
depressed. Engine speed will be held to the driver selected value until either the clutch
pedal is released or the vehicle starts to roll, whichever comes first. When you are
ready to launch the vehicle, release the clutch pedal very rapidly while holding the
accelerator pedal to floor. For optimal results, it is highly recommended that you disable
traction control prior to using launch control. A launch control speed set-point of
approximately 2600 rpm is a good starting point with the production tires on dry asphalt.
The launch control engine speed set-point is driver adjustable via the speed control
switches on the left side of the steering wheel:
To adjust the speed set-point, the engine must be running, the vehicle must be
stationary, and the brake pedal must be depressed. Hold down the "+ SET" speed
control button for 2 seconds to enter set mode. The tachometer will sweep to 9000 rpm
and return to the current set-point to indicate the set mode has been entered. Use the
"+ SET" and "- SET" buttons to select the desired launch speed, from 1500 rpm to 5000
rpm in increments of 100 rpm. Once the desired launch speed is shown on the
tachometer, press the "ON" button to store the new value. The tachometer will sweep
to 9000 rpm, then pause briefly at the speed set-point, before returning to normal
V1.2 3 IS-1850-0237-2
operation. Launch control will now be enabled whenever the vehicle is stationary and
the clutch pedal is depressed. The speed set-point is maintained after vehicle shutdown
so it does not need to be set every key cycle unless a new speed set-point is
desired.

[pdf]http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Customer_Instructions_V1.2.pdf[/pdf]

TMO Supporting Vendors