The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine Oil Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello everyone,

I just got my 2014 Mustang GT with the Track package. After reading through the owners manual I see that it says the 5.0 with Track Pack calls for 5w50 ( seems reasonable with how hot these guys seem to get) yet my car has an oil cap that states 5w20 (not what I want to put in there). I purchased the maintenance plan with the vehicle which as you know includes oil changes. A few things bother me about this...the car probably has 5w20 in it (not a fan of that) and the maintenance interval is 7500 miles (ridiculous if you ask me). I am worried when i take it to the dealer they will put 5w20 in it no matter what I ask for since the oil cap says 5w20. I also would like to know if they will change the oil sooner upon request (I'd like every 5k with 5w50) I didn;t get this car to drive it like an old woman...I want to have fun and know the motor will last. In my 03 Lancer Evolution I changed it every 3k miles and I put 10w40 in it (factory called for 10w30) I did my own since the car wasn't under warranty and I didn't pay for a maint. plan. I beat on the Evo but I also took care of it and never missed or extended an oil change. I got the car with ~35k miles on it and when i sold it for the Mustang it had ~140k on it and had great compression across all four cylinders (155 to be exact).

Thanks for your time :D

Welcome to BMO and congratulations on your new Mustang. Just make sure you tell the service manager that you want 5W50 and be prepared to pay between $80-120 per oil change. I'd also go buy a Boss 302 oil cap as it states 5W50 right on it. ;)

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking about picking up a Boss cap. The maint plan includes cost of oil in addition to other stuff (including clutch change).

BLAZN BOSS

Why would the oil differ in a GT with Track Pak?.........The track pack doesnt change anything in the engine other than maybe its suspected use. The boss uses the different oild because the engine is different.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Welcome!

My 0.02$: Just change the oil yourself unless you're physically unable. No chance of a dealer's tech bungling the change by underfilling it, overfilling it, filling with the wrong grade, or not filling at all.

BLAZN BOSS said:
Why would the oil differ in a GT with Track Pak?.........The track pack doesnt change anything in the engine other than maybe its suspected use. The boss uses the different oild because the engine is different.
I had read there was speculation that they may have changed some things internally as well as adding the Boss cooler and what not.

Tulsa, OK
Welcome NBrock! Good to see another GT on here :D

BLAZN BOSS said:

My understanding is that oil recommendation is different in the track pack due to Ford thinking the car will be used more frequently in a track setting. Yes it's not a Boss but the thought is it will be used more like a Boss than other GTs. Just my $0.2...

jec246

roadhouse said:
Welcome NBrock! Good to see another GT on here :D

My understanding is that oil recommendation is different in the track pack due to Ford thinking the car will be used more frequently in a track setting. Yes it's not a Boss but the thought is it will be used more like a Boss than other GTs. Just my $0.2...

According to ford.com the only modification for the Track Pack are below:

TORSEN helical differential with 3.73:1 axle ratio
Boss 302 Radiator
High-performance Brembo friction material upgrade (unique corner modules)
Upgraded front and rear brakes (with unique caliper finish) and booster
Unique front corner modules
19x9.0 premium painted (dark stainless) aluminum wheels and 255/40R19 Z-rated summer-only tires
Tire mobility kit
Unique ESC module tuning

Seeing that, I would agree with roadhouse that it is only that they assume that it will be tracked more often than a regular GT. So if you do not plan to track or drive it very hard often then IMO I wouldn't worry about it.

TMO Supporting Vendors