The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gen1 Engine Oil Temperature

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Concord CA
I recently purchased a 65 Fastback track car. The engine is a 351 Dart block. It has a 3 7/8" Stroke and a 4.125" Bore. The heads are AFR 185 cfm. I took it to the track for the 1st time and found the engine oil temp was about 300 degrees at speed. I'm thinking this is high? The water temp stays at 180 degrees. It has a large remotely mounted oil filter but no cooler. Is there an oil cooler in my future? and if so, what is recommended?

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
By 300° conventional oil is already starting to break down, synthetic isn't much more. Yes, you absolutely need to get those temps under control. In my opinion ~250° is about the highest I'd be comfortable with on track.

I'm using one of these coolers for oil and another one for power steering and it works great. Since you already have a remote mounted filter it should be pretty easy to plumb one in.

You're water temp is actually surprisingly low so you're in great shape there.

TMO Supporting Vendors