The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine Oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
M1 5w50 last round, tested with good results after 3 track days & 4500 street miles
Motorcraft 5w50 right now (one of my free changes at the dealer). 3 track days & 1000 street miles so far
Castrol Syntec 5w50 in the garage for my next change

5w50 is required. Brand may vary. I had my factory fill tested at 5k miles and a couple days on track and it tested well. Refilled with Motorcraft (dealer freebie). Planning to use Castrol on the next change. Always a M1 guy too, so you can't go wrong there.

I couldn't find Mobil 1 5w-50 on any auto stores so I got it online. Gonna try Castrol next since it seems like its the only one local stores carry around in 5w-50.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
El_Jefe_302 said:
I couldn't find Mobil 1 5w-50 on any auto stores so I got it online. Gonna try Castrol next since it seems like its the only one local stores carry around in 5w-50.
napa has it just have to request it takes a day to get but when they have it on sale for 5.97 a qt it's worth waiting a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run Castrol Syntec 5w50 in my car. That write up on SVTP was written by an Amsoil retailer. Of course he is going to say Amsoil is better. That article just sounded like a sales pitch to me.

WinterSucks said:
After reading the svt forums about the MC 5w50 and the shearing it undergoes I baught some Amsoil 10w40.
And that's exactly what he wanted you to do. :p

What's wrong with Amsoil? The arguments he made seemed valid so I chose the oil with close weights. I doubt you need as low as 5 weight cold in the summer. Remember that they made the the fog light areas solid only because of snow? I could see the argument that the 40 is too thin but if the shearing to a 40 is true then what the heck. I do wonder though since 40 happens to be their heaviest.

WinterSucks said:
What's wrong with Amsoil? The arguments he made seemed valid so I chose the oil with close weights. I doubt you need as low as 5 weight cold in the summer. Remember that they made the the fog light areas solid only because of snow? I could see the argument that the 40 is too thin but if the shearing to a 40 is true then what the heck. I do wonder though since 40 happens to be their heaviest.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with Amsoil in fact I like their products. Use what you like that meets the specs because in the end it probably isn't going to matter. Most of us change our oil way more frequently than necessary.

NFSBOSS said:
I didn't say there was anything wrong with Amsoil in fact I like their products. Use what you like that meets the specs because in the end it probably isn't going to matter. Most of us change our oil way more frequently than necessary.

You had me worried lol. Still consider myself pretty new to this stuff. Well, new to caring so much about the little details. This forum is my curriculum.

I use Mobil 1 5W-50 with the Ford Racing filter, but I've been taking the car to the dealer in between for their changes so there is no question if a warranty issue comes up. I am done with that. They are morons.

I think I posted this before, but I'll post it again: Do NOT assume your Ford dealer grease monkey on the lube rack knows their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to the Boss. This is the third time I have taken my '13 in for an oil change, and the THIRD TIME they had no idea that the Boss takes 8.5 quarts of 5W-50 synthetic. I told the guy right up front that it took 8.5 quarts, and looked at me with a deer in the headlights look and said "no it doesn't". Grrrr...

Get out the Boss supplement. Again. I have no idea why they can't look this up on their magic system. Then he says "You want synthetic, right?" I had to explain to him I wanted 5W50 synthetic, not the 5W20 they usually use. Deer in the headlights again. For God's sakes, IT IS ON THE OIL CAP.

Again, DO NOT TRUST even a Ford dealer to know that you need 8.5 quarts of 5W50. And check it before you roll out of the parking lot after they are done.

I use the same Mobile 1 5w-50 and won't let my local dealership touch my Boss. For the last change oil/filter change, I took it to my guys at a place called Arctic Import Repair. They knew all about the Boss, what type of oil, how many quarts and a lot of other stuff I didn't even know about the car. It's sad to know that many dealerships don't have a clue, but gratifying to find some dudes that know and respect the Boss 302.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Cobra700 said:

Haha awesome - I have seriously thought about doing the same when it goes on sale at Napa. Great deal at <$6/qt... I only have 10 quarts in my garage right now, also have 2 more free changes at the dealer.

Got the "deer in headlights" look when I brought my GT Track Pack into the dealer - I had to find the page in the manual that specified 5w50 synthetic. Fortunately, I had previously talked with the lead mechanic there who owns a 2004 Cobra and he was working on my car that particular day. I could hear them revving it (GT500 mufflers...) from the waiting room. So it got good attention that day. Plus I'm going to test the oil in typical fashion when I change it next time and if it comes back as something other than Motorcraft 5w50 (5w20 for instance) then I'll happily raise a big stink :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I use MC 5w50 in the Boss, which only sees occasional track duty. For the GT which is my primary track car and DD, I use between 5w50 and 15w50 M1 or Castrol syntec.

I've been following the SVTP oil thread, and there's a lot of good info in it, but there is some data in it that is a bit misleading. For daily driven cars, the viscosity of oil at 100C/212F is very relevant. For a track car, it might only be useful for your startup through warm up lap. As we've seen in the oil cooler threads, several cars are running pan temps in the 240-260F+ range. Any Xw40 oil will be below the 'good protection/lubrication' zone of 10 centistokes up to 242F or so. The Xw50 oils are 'good' to about 260 or so. This also doesn't account for the absolute highest temps that the oil sees in the misc. bearing surfaces. In higher temp ranges, the Xw50 oils can provide better performance, say up to 30F difference at 8 cSt viscosity level and well over 30F difference at higher temps and bearing failure viscosity.

I would strongly caution anybody who tracks their cars against running anything less than a Xw50.

Regarding the 5w50 MC shearing to a 40 level...
The 'sheared' MC 5w50 should still provide better protection above 212F than an 'un-sheared' (if that's a real word) 10w40. For a street car, I don't think it really matters at all and the higher quality/better additive package should have less operating temp wear for the long run. I would warm up any 10wX oil up longer than any 5wX oil, and even longer for any 15wX and that would probably affect engine longevity most for a street car.

Just my semi-educated opinion...but I'm not trying to sell you anything. :) ;)

And I would never have any dealer change my oil on any car I own. There are just too many horror stories out there. I barely trust them to change the oil on a leased car...but hey, I don't own it.

TMO Supporting Vendors