The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine Rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
I ran Trick Flow springs in my 3v after I did the cam/phaser mods. They are made by PAC but to their own specs, very good setup that's pretty competitively priced.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
Made a little progress before I drop the car off for the motor rebuild.

- Uninstalled Mishimoto oil cooler. The cooler worked well and kept oil temps below 265* but I was always suspect on the build quality/reliability and did not want to take any chances with the new motor which will push more RPM and power
- Reinstalled factory oil cooler (heater), Improved Racing remote filter adapter/mount/race hoses & fittings, as well as a Setrab 948 oil cooler
- Fabbed up a simple mount for the Setrab using 1" square aluminum tied into the factory radiator support bars with rivnuts.

IMG_0593.jpgIMG_0596.jpgIMG_0618.jpg

Last edited:
Call Ford Performance and verify that you should or can use the GT350 pump. The pan lists different pickup tubes based if you have a 5.0L or 5.2L engine.

I also suggest you get a pump with billet gears or buy a set of TSS gears.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
Call Ford Performance and verify that you should or can use the GT350 pump. The pan lists different pickup tubes based if you have a 5.0L or 5.2L engine.

I also suggest you get a pump with billet gears or buy a set of TSS gears.

The plan was to use the GT350 oil pump and 5.2L specific oil pickup tube (due to larger outlet and lower aeration) but will confirm with FP to ensure the application ad clearances are correct. Also, already have TSS oil pump gears and crank sprocket so all set there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the V6L
You might want to check with FP on the cylinder heads as well - the pre-assembled Voodoo heads they sell come with instructions for changing an oil flow restrictor inside the oilway. You use a smaller one (stock) with a Voodoo oil pump and a larger one with a GT oil pump. Presumably this keeps the pressure somewhere in the head from getting too high, so the GT heads may have it as well. Since you're going to be talking to them, you might as well ask.

You might want to check with FP on the cylinder heads as well - the pre-assembled Voodoo heads they sell come with instructions for changing an oil flow restrictor inside the oilway. You use a smaller one (stock) with a Voodoo oil pump and a larger one with a GT oil pump. Presumably this keeps the pressure somewhere in the head from getting too high, so the GT heads may have it as well. Since you're going to be talking to them, you might as well ask.

Good thing to ask about. But, I suspect not changing the restrictor would be ok. Ford Performance sells a GT350 oil pan and pump kit for the 5.0L that does not require a change in the restrictor. I also suspect the restrictor is more to redirect the additional oil flow to the rods and mains vs. over oiling the valve train.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
Update from JPC/RGR: block and heads are in great shape. RGR will install new valve guides and seals with a deck clean up on the heads. Not doing any porting work. Custom horizontal gas ported pistons are still in process but that is the only item holding up the final short block assembly.

The 5.2L pickup tube for the FP road race oil pan (M-6622-M52RR) have a mid-late April availability, possibly sooner.

On a side note, I discussed the setup with a FP engineer and also confirmed with Setrab - they advised to mount the oil cooler with the feed ports on the side (vertically) vs. bottom (as I currently have mounted) as this could cause an incomplete fill of the oil cooler, reducing efficiency. I'll plan to reorient the cooler 90* to fix this potential issue.

Last edited:
TX
This wait for the pickup tube is killing me! Supposed to get my motor back end of the month. So close, yet so far.

TX
Right there with you on the pickup tube. I’m still hearing 6 weeks. Anything different there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a PM on another platform that said Watson and FP were still trying to negotiate pricing and that end of April was the earliest we might see it. Boo

5-0l-coyote-435-hp-mustang-crate-engine-m-6007-m50a

Excuse my ignorance, but why spend $13k for a rebuild when you can get a brand new one for $6,600?

Its about trying to get a more reliable engine for track use.

Gtorpedo runs a 7,500 RPM plus rev limit with more power. The new build has much better rods, rod bolts, pistons, and rings than OEM. It also should have a lot better quality control on clearances and be properly balanced.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel