The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine Rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Its about trying to get a more reliable engine for track use.

Gtorpedo runs a 7,500 RPM plus rev limit with more power. The new build has much better rods, rod bolts, pistons, and rings than OEM. It also should have a lot better quality control on clearances and be properly balanced.

This still doesn’t make sense to me. Yes, a built one is better. But what are the chances of the stock engine failing again? Probably low. Statistically speaking, it’s unlikely. For what the built engine costs, you could replace it with a stock factory engine twice..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
This still doesn’t make sense to me. Yes, a built one is better. But what are the chances of the stock engine failing again? Probably low. Statistically speaking, it’s unlikely. For what the built engine costs, you could replace it with a stock factory engine twice..

Just to be clear, this is by no stretch a "budget build". The key emphasis and objective here is reliability for a car that is used primarily for track days. There are also many performance upgrades being done while the motor is apart which are "free" labor...don't forget if you don't do this all yourself (which I can't) you're looking at at least $3k of labor costs to remove, disassemble and replace. Take out the $3k of labor costs and $3k+ for headers/cam/tune and there's not a world of difference in the price of the crate motor you're comparing to...but a very large margin of improved reliability and performance.

Last edited:
Gtorpedo brought up some points I did not cover. Most people either don't have the knowledge or the equipment needed to do an entire motor swap themselves. So, you are going to eat some labor costs just to do a swap. He is also adding new cams, headers, etcetera which will require custom dyno tuning.

I know I was quoted nearly $4k in labor last year to do cams, timing components, valve springs, and oil pump. Steve Esposito and I did the job ourselves. The money saved paid for the full two-post lift I installed in my garage. The lift allowed me to drop the entire k-member with the engine and trans from the car which made the job a lot easier.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
I've been in touch with the program manager at FP and the pickup tubes are finally in production - worst case scenario they will be ready by month-end.

Some encouraging feedback regarding the new oil pan that reinforces my plan to wait on this option:
"You should have solace in knowing that, that particular oil pan, is by far the most highly engineered part on our FP350S race car. The car has EXTREMELY good brakes, which made it a challenge to get oiling ironed out. This pan helped immensely."

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I've been in touch with the program manager at FP and the pickup tubes are finally in production - worst case scenario they will be ready by month-end.

Some encouraging feedback regarding the new oil pan that reinforces my plan to wait on this option:
"You should have solace in knowing that, that particular oil pan, is by far the most highly engineered part on our FP350S race car. The car has EXTREMELY good brakes, which made it a challenge to get oiling ironed out. This pan helped immensely."

This pleases the captdistraction.

Now I just have to figure out what’s up with the crossover tubes on the back of the heads. I should be starting my build soon

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Oil pickup tube is still pending but progress being made. Custom pistons are at RGR and the short block and heads should be assembled and back to JPC shortly.

9854122affc191ff35abd38fc4103ecb.jpg

I hear we are just a few days away on the pickup tubes. Some are being sent to ford early, probably because we are pestering them so much.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
Well, after a long long wait the car was strapped to the dyno this week. Needless to say I am impressed with the initial dyno results but the true test will be back out on track finally!
Nice! That's going to feel good on track. 93 tune?

Yes, this is the 93 "street" tune.. Later this week they'll program a road race tune that is dialed back some and also tuned on 93, but I'll be running race gas only on track for detonation resistance. Will post up the road race tune graphs when available.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
On a side note, I discussed the setup with a FP engineer and also confirmed with Setrab - they advised to mount the oil cooler with the feed ports on the side (vertically) vs. bottom (as I currently have mounted) as this could cause an incomplete fill of the oil cooler, reducing efficiency. I'll plan to reorient the cooler 90* to fix this potential issue.

I did the same thing but for different reasons, you get more fin area exposed in the upper grille airflow if you turn the cooler sideways as-suggested. Also you don't have to worry about knocking the fittings off of the cooler from a random underbody impact.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
Wow those are some IMPRESSIVE numbers. This is "just" a 5.0? What am I missing here?

It exceeded my expectations for sure. For the RGR 5.0 short block they used lightweight i-beam rods and custom gas ported pistons (still 11:1 compression with factory block and crank). Other than that, 5.0 heads with Ferrea intake/exhaust valves and Trickflow valve springs (no head porting work whatsoever), L&M intake only cams, ARH catted headers, GT350 IM/TB... It all added up nicely, both on the dyno and from my wallet!

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Well, congratulations, it certainly looks like a screamer. I would be interested in seeing Dynojet numbers if you have the opportunity at some point in the future.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
Well, congratulations, it certainly looks like a screamer. I would be interested in seeing Dynojet numbers if you have the opportunity at some point in the future.

The true test will be out on track with reliability and longevity in mind (extra power is a huge plus). The dyno results are a promising barometer though (JPC stated their dyno reads 400-420 whp on stock S550 GTs and GT350s are 460-470).

TMO Supporting Vendors