The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine replacement under warrenty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My car is at the local dealer to hopefully have the motor replaced under warranty, the problem is that I haven't kept receipts for when I have bought oil. Has anyone else had motor work done with a similar "lack" of information, even if not what would you provide Ford with?

What are the symptoms? I had all service work including the oil changes performed at a dealer so no issues when mine blew. Plus my engine was stock.

VooDooBOSS said:
What are the symptoms? I had all service work including the oil changes performed at a dealer so no issues when mine blew. Plus my engine was stock.

The motor was stock as well. The symptoms are 3 holes in the block.

VooDooBOSS said:
You beat me by one. :p #8?

Looked like it, I could see a rod missing a bolt on the passenger side and a hole in the top valley and a hole in the drivers side, along with two scores on either side in the oil pan.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Wooo, a catastrophic failure. In thinking about this, if Ford denies warranty coverage they should have to state a reason for denial. If improper maintenance is stated a the reason, and your claim is that proper maintenance was completed, then Ford should state why this failure occurred due to improper maintenance.

This will require engine disassembly for a failure analysis. I would think.

What is the mileage on your Boss/Mustang?

I keep all receipts and a log book that documents dates, mileage etc., of all of my Boss maintenance and modifications. Keep it all in a 3-ring binder.

Keep us posted,
Dave
2HP

302 Hi Pro said:
Wooo, a catastrophic failure. In thinking about this, if Ford denies warranty coverage they should have to state a reason for denial. If improper maintenance is stated a the reason, and your claim is that proper maintenance was completed, then Ford should state why this failure occurred due to improper maintenance.

This will require engine disassembly for a failure analysis. I would think.

What is the mileage on your Boss/Mustang?

I keep all receipts and a log book that documents dates, mileage etc., of all of my Boss maintenance and modifications. Keep it all in a 3-ring binder.

Keep us posted,
Dave
2HP
This is my thinking, if I buy oil Ford still has no proof of when I replaced it. I am sitting right around 52k.

My father had a engine replacement on his 13 Boss LS. He blew the engine at COTA. It took 6 weeks or so for the claim to be validated. They did the following:
Upon arrival do the car to the Boss certified dealer the took a fuel and oil sample
Quarantined the ECU
Quarantined the whole car
The samples and computer were sent to Ford Racing

Oil and fuel samples came back writhing Ford Spec
Computer was confirmed as OEM Calibration
The catestrophic event was found on the historian of the computer and all parameters were verified

The above was 6 weeks or so. After that he received a brand new long block, installed in a week, wash and then his keys back.

No issues since. He was upfront with Ford telling them it happened at a untimed event at COTA. They never gave him any grief.

Along with the engine replacement he has had 2 transmissions. All at the same dealer.

CC7B44C8-FE7C-4890-8A68-49761F35A08E_zpsskyryoft.jpg

I think he had only 1 hole in the block.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Brandon302 said:
My car is at the local dealer to hopefully have the motor replaced under warranty, the problem is that I haven't kept receipts for when I have bought oil.

It might be a little time consuming but you can find your oil and filter credit card purchase receipts online.

four-walling said:
It might be a little time consuming but you can find your oil and filter credit card purchase receipts online.

I went searching, the best I can get are purchase amounts along with what I am assuming are reference numbers. Oddly I bought most of my oil from NAPA and cannot find but one purchase from them on my statements.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Brandon302 said:
I went searching, the best I can get are purchase amounts along with what I am assuming are reference numbers. Oddly I bought most of my oil from NAPA and cannot find but one purchase from them on my statements.

You're halfway there. Your first oil change was free and you found a receipt for a second oil purchase...

four-walling said:
You're halfway there. Your first oil change was free and you found a receipt for a second oil purchase...

Sadly my first wasn't free, 2 times I purchased from Ford, then NAPA after that

Ended up hearing from my dealer that they ordered a motor and intake. Not sure if that means it is a long or short block but I am glad to know the car will be back together under warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel