The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine replacement under warrenty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS said:
A broken piston is often a timing and or fuel issue.

It could have been any number of things, I am not sure if the car was ever knocking to indicate something was wrong prior to the failure.

Great news. Mine never knocked and ran perfectly right up to the moment it went boom! #8 is the usual suspect.

four-walling said:
Auto dealers typically make most of their money in the Parts and Service departments. Once a dealer gets factory approval to do an engine replacement, they would love to have that big ticket job.

I thought the same but seems not true. I have been getting the run around for sometime now trying to get something done about my oil comsuption. Every time I go it's one excuse or another. Don't know what to do anymore. Think I should just go out and let the motor pop! Pfft. Then they will have to do something but have a feeling they will still try to screw me. Last time I went I was told if I needed an engine replacement it "would kill my warranty index". What ever that means.....

I just dont understand why some Boss cars use oil to the point that it a big problem and others dont use any oil.
my car is a late first quater build and it uses no oil. But yet your car is a late second quater build and you say it uses oil.

I guess what i'm wondering is....what happened to some of these roadrunner engines to be using oil that it becomes a problem.

superhero said:
I just dont understand why some Boss cars use oil to the point that it a big problem and others dont use any oil.
my car is a late first quater build and it uses no oil. But yet your car is a late second quater build and you say it uses oil.

I guess what i'm wondering is....what happened to some of these roadrunner engines to be using oil that it becomes a problem.

mine consumes zero oil. car # 725 2012.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
My personal opinion is it has to do with "engine break-in". I My Boss is #2348 and I have never had to add oil but I followed a break-in procedure and then changed the oil at about 1000 miles and have been beating on it ever since :)

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Cobra700 said:
Last time I went I was told if I needed an engine replacement it "would kill my warranty index". What ever that means.....

All Manufacturers watch warranty cost by Dealer, Zone District very closely.

Many indices are compared to PNVR, or Per New Vehicle Retailed.

If a Dealer climbs above average for Warranty Cost PNVR, they are watched. For those Dealers that come to the top of this index, they are subject to warranty audits.

A Factory warranty audit can get very expensive for a Dealer as Charge Backs are accumulated for any and every infraction, i.e. Technician forgot to time punch hard copy, WRO missing signature, etc.

Sounds like your Dealer is at or near the top of his Cost per Unit report.

If you go to a different Dealer, you might have a better chance. Key word here is might. Remember, District/Zone Service Reps sometimes send problem vehicles to a different Dealer for repair. Contact Ford Service Customer Care and let them know of your problem, and what they told you about fixing your car would do to their "Warranty Index". I suspect you'll get quick action.

Good Luck,
Dave
302 HP

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Consumer Reports discussed the engine oil consumption issue in some modern automobiles at length in the August, 2015 issue:

consumption%20article%20Aug%2020150001_zpsb24k8e4v.jpg

CR%20oil%20page%2020001_zpsztoy585t.jpg

CR%20oil%20page%2030001_zpsacjmqmzm.jpg

...and they also reviewed the 2015 Mustang in that issue:

CR%202015%20Mustang%20review0002_zpsddrehwhw.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel