The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine running rich?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
Every time I start my Boss,its seems to run really,really rich. Very strong smell of gas while its warming up. I usually let it idle for a minute or so before I drive it. It idles at about 1000 rpm for a few seconds,then comes down to about 750-800. I always use the red key. So, after the short warmup, the gas smell goes away. Anyone else have the same thing happen? Do you think its normal and ok? I should be taking it in for my oil change in a couple of weeks (5000k), and was going to ask them about their thoughts, but I'm not real confident about the dealers here. Thoughts? Thanks. Bob

I have no idea what it could be but what I'd do is disconnect your battey for 10+ minutes which will reset the learned mapping of the car. If it still does it after that take it to the dealer. Mine was having rough throttle mapping with both the silver and red keys and when I did this it smoothed out.

Sesshomurai

Don't forget the computer is sniffing the exhaust before it gets to your nose. If the mixture isn't what it expects, you should get a CEL.
My guess is that added fuel is burned off in the ignition rev stage of startup and after the computer detects that the extra fuel is burned off (hence the smell), it brings the idle down to simmer (no more smell).

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
I don't get a CEL light. I'm going to try disconnecting the battery and see if that helps.Will check the AFR gauge too and see what it shows.Thanks for the input.

I have always had the smell as well. At first thought the car was still breaking in. I guess I've just gotten use to it now.

TMO Supporting Vendors