The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine Tapping/Clatter - Please Listen and advise....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Car has 700 miles on it. Oil level right at top dot. A while back I posted an observation about tapping/clatter on startup lasting for about 10-15 minutes. It does substantially subside. However, I can still discern a big difference in ticking and tapping sounds between the right bank versus the left bank(standing in front of the car and even once warmed up and when run hot). The right bank is quiet sounding. The left bank is not.

Some had said this might be noisy injectors. Some said this was normal. I don't like it at all and am going to have it checked out. However, I wanted to ask others to please listen to their left and right banks and tell me their observations.....on cold startup and when warm. Is it possibly this below?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgaOGNdQeGY&feature=youtu.be

3219 - BOSS 302 ENGINE RATTLE OR RAPPING TYPE SOUND.
SOME 2012 BOSS 302 MUSTANGS MIGHT EXHIBIT A RATTLE OR RAPPING TYPE SOUND DURING COLD ENGINE TEMPERATURE OPERATION AT LIGHT LOADS AND SPEEDS FROM 1000 - 3500 RPM. THIS SOUND IS CAUSED BY THE PISTON MOVING FROM ONE SIDE OF THE BORE TO THE OTHER AT TDC. THIS IS AN INHERENT CHARACTERISTIC OF THE FORGED ALUMINUM PISTONS AND THE COMBUSTION DYNAMICS CAUSED BY THE HIGH FLOW CNC INTAKE PORTS. ONCE THE ENGINE REACHES OPERATING TEMPERATURE THE SOUND WILL NO LONGER BE AUDIBLE. THERE ARE NO DURABILITY CONCERNS WITH THIS SOUND.

That doesn't sound good to me. Mine has no noises at all like that. Bring it in and have it looked at by the dealer. Tell them you think the one side is making the noise. Definitely not what I'd call normal.

I'm having trouble hearing it, but it might be the recording. Find a dealer that has some experience with Bosses (so they know what noise it should make) and bring it in if you are concerned. You have a warranty for a reason.

But, if they tell you it is normal, it might be. Forged pistons are known for clanking and blowby when cold, especially the first couple thousand miles. I don't know if that is still true, but it is a possibility.

hotrodnut said:
Maybe it's the video or my hearing, but that sounds more like an exhaust leak to me.
I just developed one where the exhaust manifold connects to the H-pipe. The dealer replaced the gasket at that joint and fixed it under warranty. The sound was coming from the bottom left side of the engine bay (driver) just behind the front wheel.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I want to clarify that the sound is coming from the passenger side bank. I had used left and right but that was my left and my right when I stood in front of the car.

Also, if anyone was wondering, I am not using Trackey(although I have Trackey and have enabled it before). This is with silver key.

I will check for any exhaust leaks, however, I would think that would continue even when warm --- unless there is some expansion.

I have not run this car hard at all. I will be taking it in soon for first oil change and will have a full review done on it.

BossTXB said:
I will check for any exhaust leaks, however, I would think that would continue even when warm --- unless there is some expansion.
Negative. Mine would go away within 30 seconds to a couple minutes once the exhaust heated up and expanded. It's hard to tell anything from your video, but that is very likely your problem since it stops after it warms up. Make sure you let the dealer know it stops doing it when warm or they won't be able to replicate it when you drive it in warmed up.

Cloud9, thank you. Great advice. My plan was to provide them a written diagnosis of what I have observed. Then, advise them to let car sit(hopefully on a cold day but am losing those fast in Texas). Then have them do as cold of a start as possible. Also, have them try to observe within a confined space too to help isolate.

BossTXB said:
Cloud9, thank you. Great advice. My plan was to provide them a written diagnosis of what I have observed. Then, advise them to let car sit(hopefully on a cold day but am losing those fast in Texas). Then have them do as cold of a start as possible. Also, have them try to observe within a confined space too to help isolate.
If it's an exhaust leak, they should be able to visually inspect it and see soot around the joint as well.

cloud9 said:
hotrodnut said:
Maybe it's the video or my hearing, but that sounds more like an exhaust leak to me.
I just developed one where the exhaust manifold connects to the H-pipe. The dealer replaced the gasket at that joint and fixed it under warranty. The sound was coming from the bottom left side of the engine bay (driver) just behind the front wheel.
I have a slight sound coming from exactly the same place. I was going to check the header bolts but this seems just as likely. Probably a good time to get everything tightened to spec anyway. Great info.

My CO 2012 Boss just developed the same tapping/clatter. What was finally identified as the source of your tapping and what was the final fix. Mine is currently in the shop and the technician is running numerous tests per Ford. Anything I can do to help him identify and speed up the process would be greatly appreciated.

All,

I was hoping others would have a problem like mine and would find the cause. Unfortunately, I have been out of town since February. I plan to take my Boss into the local Ford dealer here in Dallas and have them go through EVERYTHING ---- including

Taking the belt off and running the engine ---- see below.

Exhaust in full.

The TSB that came out in January for the Stretchy Belt on the A/C Compressor. (There is a part number for the Boss...make them test this by taking off the serpentine belt and running the engine to see if it taps/clatters).

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/anyone-have-this-tsb-done-12-1-10-5-0l-with-manual-transmission-and-ac-compres/

Make sure they test your tapping/clatter from a Cold start ----- it happens about 8 minutes into the start. I have more recordings too......videos as well. I can reproduce this easily......

It is definitely emanating from the passenger side and appears to be lower in the engine.

Make them check injectors too.

The local technicians have performed all the requested test for Ford and I was advised today that they will changing the lifters on the Right Bank. Lifters are on their way and should be in tomorrow. I am very nervous about this. Seems to be a an attempt at a shotgun fix. I will keep you advised of the final outcome.

I have seen her on the other forums and there is contact info there. This is sounding like it might need to be another "let's try it and see if it fixes it". What was the reasoning behind the lifters? I am very interested in this as the passenger bank on my Boss sounds remarkably different than the driver's side.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/328844-deysha-i-have-favor-ask.html

I did not read what was sent directly from Ford to the technicians, from what I gather Ford was saying it was very dificult to check the valve lash to determine if that was the cause of the valve train noise. Like I said, seems to be a shorgun fix...and let's see if that fixes it. Will keep you advised of what they find after the lifter replacement. I must give my local Ford Techs. their due, they are working very hard to try and fix it.

TMO Supporting Vendors