The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine timing refresh and oil pump change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My Boss has been on the track almost every month since got it in 2012. It must have well over 60 hours of track time and was wondering if it was time do do some preventative care. The car only has about 36000 miles on it. Sounds like the tensioners are a making a lttle noise as well.

Would this kit be a little overkill if you were not swapping out cams??
m6004a504_2998.jpg

Its the Ford Performance camshaft drive kit..... (M-6004-A504?)

m660050cj_6258.jpg

Also thinking about the Cobrajet oil pump as well (M-660050-CJ)

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Cam drive kit looks like the way to go for preventative maint. Not sure on oil pump though as Boss VVT might be set up for specific pressure. Do you know the data on the Cobra Jet pump?

I ran the CJ pump. It works fine with boss timing and valvetrain.

The kit is convenient as it comes with everything needed included.

The pump is great as a complete assembly. I never had problems with it where I have had difficulties with other “assemble it yourself” systems despite the simplicity

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I just reread the previous post form 2016 and reviewed the video of @captdistraction.... from https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/oil-pump-upgrade.11893/ Seems like @Arizonaboss runs one too...

Looks like the oil pump will be on the list. For the timing chain kit.... If I don't do cams, then wouldn't just new tensioners and chain be enough??? Are the sprockets a wear Item?? https://trackmustangsonline.com/members/captdistraction.1087/

On Steve’s motor i am just replacing the tensioners and chains. It’s worth inspecting all of it but typically chains, guides and tensioners are your typical wear items.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
We posted at the same time! I saw your video, am looking for a bright idiot light just for me! to go along with my new gauges. (Yes Grant, you told me already!! I Know!)

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Like Cris said... if you open up the thing, then why not change out the existing (“consumables”) with the kit?

One fewer thing on the worry list......

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
If you had to prioritize the items for cost concerns, I would do them in this order:

Guides - almost mandatory with any tear-down
Primary chains - IIRC there was a spec for how much stretch was acceptable to leave in service.
Secondary chains
Tensioners
Sprockets
Fasteners
Phasers and everything else pictured in the kit.

Just based on the wear I've seen from older mod motors.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
thanks.... Waiting to hear from Shaun about his L&M intake cam.... To see far down the rabbit hole I tumble.

But before doing anything else I will install the gauge pod and oil pressure light!

looks like those apex 18x11 wheels will be a little further down the road.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have the CJ pump on my engine. No complaints--if you are still on the factory pump, get that thing out of there before it grenades.

Also--this would be a good time to replace the valvesprings with a fresh set of OEM BOSS 302 springs. If you were taking the cams out it would make more sense, but you will be done with most of the work if you are doing the timing chain and oil pump anyways.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Shaun, replied and said you can expect 17 to 20 hp for the L&M intake only cam with a updated tune..... Now have to see how I schedule all this!! next race is in three weeks. Off to the dyno tomorrow will see how the car is doing meantime....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I was a little worried about changing the valve springs.... since the more you get into the motor down here the more I get worried.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
I talked with Micheal from L&M. Serious dude.

I am installing his intake cams in my car.

Thanks Drew for the solid find.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
It can be difficult without the right tools. You will want the Coyote valve spring compressor from Freedom Racing Tool and Die.
When you are in there, make sure to block the oil return ports on the exhaust side of the head with shop rags or paper towels so you don't drop any of the keepers or anything down into the oil pan.
Patience is key.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel