The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine timing refresh and oil pump change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just making making my orders and have a few silly questions....

The valve spring kits I see on LMR etc, say exhaust valve spring kit...... are they not the same on the intake side?? Don't I just need two sets of the same springs.??.. (16 springs a kit).

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just going over the last details before dropping the engine...... Should I get new keepers and spring retainers as well??

I assume thats 64 keepers and 32 retainers and they are sold individually from what I see at Tasca...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I reused mine, but it can't hurt you. Probably a good idea to order some keepers in case you lose one somewhere in the process (so long as it doesn't get lost IN the engine)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I reused mine, but it can't hurt you. Probably a good idea to order some keepers in case you lose one somewhere in the process (so long as it doesn't get lost IN the engine)

Did you use the OEM or ARP bolts for the following... I just noticed that they are one use only bolts... :confused:

And if you use the ARP bolts,,,,hex or 12 pts...???

1)N806183-S437 – Camshaft main cap bolts, 40 needed (10 for each camshaft being installed)
or ARP 156-1004

2)BR3Z-6279-A – Camshaft bolts, 12 needed (3 for each camshaft)
or ARP 256-1003

3)BR3Z-6A340-A – Crankshaft pulley bolt

Did not find the ARP bolt yet.

Maybe I should get a Cam shaft degree kit as well....
https://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/4943/10002/-1

Dam, was going to take the engine out before vacations in Canada in two weeks, but looks like will be waiting a while...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Crap... if the engine is coming out..... might as well check out the bearings and rings etc.... Should I just use the Boss 302R head bolts or get the ARP ones... (long wait for those, and double the price)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Do you guys think its a over doing things to change the main bearings and rings since I will have the engine out?? Calculated that I have about 70 to 80 hours on track and 50,000km overall. Part of me says yes and the other says leave i t alone!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I guess thats the way to go.... But to be ready to pop the heads off... will need $$$, things like rings, ARP head bolts etc.... My wallet is getting scared already!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Hear ya.

Compression test along with a scope in the plug holes could possibly show an issue. Not too invasive for the engine or wallet.
This.
If the engine has been well maintained (and I'm sure it has) a fresh oil gear and valve springs should put you in good shape.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just getting the final planning to fit between the monthly races..... My mechanic wants new Roller Finger Followersetc..... I said not needed.... but then I saw @ArizonaBOSS pic

9uH65AS.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@Mad Hatter all of that stuff is what came out of the engine, aka stock hardware. I reused everything, except for the valvesprings and the intake cams. I just laid it out like that so I could remember where everything came from.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel