The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine Wiring Harness Replacements

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know when they did mine (replaced the flywheel and pulse ring as well), they had to get a ProCal tool from Ford to perform a relearn. It was throwing codes until they did it. I hope this helps.

ArizonaBOSS said:
OK FINAL QUESTION (MAYBE):

Did you have to get a Neutral Profile relearn done on the car, since the crank sensor is being removed?
We "assume" so. A friend is coming over tomorrow night with his laptop to do the relearn. I have to let the car warm up to operating temperature before we can do the relearn. It's actually going to hit 50 degrees for a high here tomorrow so it won't take all night 8)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Ah, you have a service tech friend...that is convenient. Looks like I'll have to trailer it to a dealer after the harness is replaced, then. In touch with PRS now...

ArizonaBOSS said:
Ah, you have a service tech friend...that is convenient. Looks like I'll have to trailer it to a dealer after the harness is replaced, then. In touch with PRS now...
Well that was easy. You just hook the laptop up to OBDII, let the car warm up to 176*, run a short program and rev once to 4k rpm. Outside of the time to warm the car up it's probably a 5 minute exercise.

Pulled the Engine harness today. Not difficult, but tedious, especially if you have big hands. On Gary's advice, I pulled the Strut tower brace, CAI, Intake foam, Coil covers and Injector foam. Also pulled the Oil Breather, Vacuum boost hose and purge valve.

Dropping the harness and sensors off at PRS this week. Current turnaround time is 2-3 weeks.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Black Boss said:
Pulled the Engine harness today. Not difficult, but tedious, especially if you have big hands. On Gary's advice, I pulled the Strut tower brace, CAI, Intake foam, Coil covers and Injector foam. Also pulled the Oil Breather, Vacuum boost hose and purge valve.

Dropping the harness and sensors off at PRS this week. Current turnaround time is 2-3 weeks.
how much Nick?

Black Boss said:

It did eliminate all the cam phaser issues for me. Were you getting P001x and P002x codes last season?

cloud9 said:
It did eliminate all the cam phaser issues for me. Were you getting P001x and P002x codes last season?

Yes, for the last 3 track events, I would get both sets of codes at every key on. Weird thing, if I cleared them, I could run hot laps and not get repeat codes until next key on. Last event at VIR I got lots of miss fire codes and limp mode. Cleared and car ran OK for last session.

Just figured that it was time -- mine's a very early build, and the cost is less than a lost day or two of track time.....

Isn't it easier, and a lot less expensive, to upgrade to the 2013 connectors like Drew did?

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I'm going to buy new engine harness, solenoids and sensors. Cost is $435, then will send to PRS for conversion. Just in case I break or damage wiring when removing.
The harness has all the engine connections correct? Cam sensors, coils, injectors, pig tail for knock sensors etc right?
Thanks guys, more money spent on a problem I don't have ;D

steveespo said:
I'm going to buy new engine harness, solenoids and sensors. Cost is $435, then will send to PRS for conversion. Just in case I break or damage wiring when removing.
The harness has all the engine connections correct? Cam sensors, coils, injectors, pig tail for knock sensors etc right?
Thanks guys, more money spent on a problem I don't have ;D
Are you converting to the 12 or 13 harness and sensors? Just doing as precaution? I hadn't heard the Coyotes were having issues but they probably have all the same sensors and harness. ....

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Buying the parts listed for my year/car, sometimes they change pin outs on the main harness connections over model years. Anyway with the PRS conversion the important connectors get changed. Just changing becauseracecar, haven't had any misfire or cam codes yet.
Steve

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I know Nick, have 4 cam actuators, 2 Intake cam sensors, 2 exhaust sensors, 1 Crankshaft position sensor, 1 main engine harness and 1 knock sensor pigtail harness in my Fordparts.com shoping cart. All for my specific VIN #. Next step is to send all of this to PRS for $1065 conversion right?
Steve

Yes: Here's a copy of the e-mail I got from Dave Decker @ PRS:

PRS developed this upgraded version harnesses package for the 302R working in conjunction with Ford Racing to address and eliminate the vibration issues and terminal / connector breakage problems with these sensors.

We add military-spec grade wiring pigtails to the following sensors; (4) cam actuators, (4) cam positions, (1) crank position, and epoxy pot them at the sensor wire exit. The wiring is covered in high temp Raychem DR-25 shrink cover and terminated with Deutsch DTM series connectors. We also change out the factory connectors for these sensors on the engine harness with the Deutsch connector. All connectors receive military-spec gold plated terminals. We would need:

- (4) Cam actuators

- (4) Cam position sensors (2 gray / 2 black)

- Crank position sensor

- Engine Harness

On the Stage 2 Race versions we eliminate several connections that are not required, for example: purge canister, radio noise capacitor, oil pan sensor leads, etc. Stage 1 Street car versions retain all the connections.

Components are priced as follows:

- Sensors are $85 each (x9) - $765

- Harness modification is:

o Stage 1 - $300

o Stage 2 - $375

Total Stage 1 = $1065
Total Stage 2 = $1140
Our current turnaround time is 2 to 3 weeks.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel