Engine Wiring Harness Replacements

Discussion in 'Drivetrain, Exhaust and Electrical' started by cloud9, Dec 2, 2013.

1. cloud9

cloud9 Gary

Steve did you just decide to send PRS brand new sensors and wiring harness versus pulling the existing?

2. steveespo

steveespo Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child Moderator

Gary' yes I bought all of the parts and a replacement harness in December anticipating doing the PRS work at some time in the future, just not this soon. Figured if it would be safer just in case there were faults developing in other connectors they don't modify and in case I broke a connector or wiring removing the original. I spent $467 for everything including a new knock sensor jumper harness. Plan on changing the valve springs when I have the valve covers off too.
    Steve

3. cloud9

cloud9 Gary

Makes sense and I had similar concerns. I did talk to PRS about their process and for peace of mind they did assure me that every completed setup is fully electrical tested before shipping back to the customer. You should have confidence this issue will be behind you after this. I still occasionally throw a P0300 but never a cam sensor code. The P0300 seems to be a catch all but it's not causing limp mode and doesn't happen often. I also have the CPR for what it's worth.

4. Swiss Boss

Swiss Boss TMO Addict

I guess it's my turn to send my harness to PRS :'(

I had my first event for the year today and the car ran great the first 2 session in the morning then after lunch, Bam, CEL pull the code and P0020 and P0022.
    I can reset them but P0022 would appear at every startup. Once cleared the car seemed running fine. No limp mode.

Is it bad to run the car with that problem? And how long till it get worst? I don't really have the time to mess with it right now.

Car is #1194 built 6/24/11

Good new is I beat my personal best with street tire 8)

5. cloud9

cloud9 Gary

It's fine to keep running. You won't go into limp mode but you may lise the TiVCT which will cost you a good 100 hp until you get it fixed. The cams will just remain in the zero/neutral position.

6. Swiss Boss

Swiss Boss TMO Addict

Thanks for the info. That's why it felt a little slow coming out of turns but my top speed was similar so I thought it was fine

7. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

You should also consider updating the sensors and splicing in new harness connectors like Drew did. Here are photos of the old and new style from a 2012 and 2013 motor.

@ArizonaBOSS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. cloud9

cloud9 Gary

I am not sute you were actually losing the variable cam timing yet if that's the case. Mine hust threw codes the first time, but then when it worsened there was a significant dropoff. Felt like I went from driving the Boss to a Honda Civic. You may just have an intermittent issue at this point but either way will want to do the upgrade.

9. Black Boss

Black Boss TMO Addict

+1

Mine started with throwing codes with no performance impact, at every start-up Absolutely no issues with the PRS, and have 6 track days now....

10. Swiss Boss

Swiss Boss TMO Addict

Thanks for the info. I'll still go with the PRS rebuilt instead switching to 2013 connector.

11. steveespo

Just finished the PRS harness swap. Still have to put the manifold on and some small items then will fire it up. Have a China IDS coming to do Neutral Profile relearn too. Was getting cam position codes in February at VIR, just like Gary said felt like I dropped 100 HP.
    Steve

12. Black Boss

Black Boss TMO Addict

Much to my surprise, I didn't have to perform the re-learn. Confirmed with PRS and Rehagen that it's not normally required.....

13. wwilde001

wwilde001 TMO Addict

Mine only required the relearn because I changed out flywheels. You might be OK Steve.

14. steveespo

Good to hear, but you have to disturb the crank sensor, that doesn't cause it to lose position but changing a clutch does? Crazy. We will see hope I can save the step but will have the tool in case it pops up especially at the track.
    Steve

15. Black Boss

Black Boss TMO Addict

The location tolerances on the Crank Position sensor are pretty tight. It's likely that there's way more tolerance stack up on the Clutch/Flywheel/Pulse ring assembly.....

16. 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car

This is interesting as I have a 2012, but my cam phaser plugs look like the second picture shown with the wiring harness in place, but not plugged in.. Am I reading this right? The improved 2013 connectors are more square and use a pinch type release connector? If so, this might explain why I have not had any limp mode issues with my 2012.

Here is a pic of my connectors, let me know your opinion as to which connectors are on my 2012.

Thank you,
    Dave
    2HP

[​IMG]

17. VoodooBoss

Interesting. Is your car a late build? They could have changed them at anytime or maybe your engine was replaced. ;)

18. 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car

No, no engine replacement, but it was a late 2012 Boss production date. Last week of November 2011 and is Boss number 2800, although I don't think Boss 302's rolled off the line in numerical order. I did special order the car during the last week of October 2011.

So this is interesting, a 2012 with 2013 cam connectors and plugs. Thanks for the confirmation.

Dave
    302 Hi Pro

19. VoodooBoss

It would be interesting to know when they made that change. Ford was having plenty of issues with this including the 5.0's like Steve's so I'm not surprised. There have been very few complaints about the codes on 2013's.

20. Swiss Boss

Swiss Boss TMO Addict

Another question, when you get the harness back from PRS, how do you know which cable to plug to which sensor?

Are they marked?