The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine Wiring Harness Replacements

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cloud9 said:
Steve did you just decide to send PRS brand new sensors and wiring harness versus pulling the existing?

Gary' yes I bought all of the parts and a replacement harness in December anticipating doing the PRS work at some time in the future, just not this soon. Figured if it would be safer just in case there were faults developing in other connectors they don't modify and in case I broke a connector or wiring removing the original. I spent $467 for everything including a new knock sensor jumper harness. Plan on changing the valve springs when I have the valve covers off too.
Steve

steveespo said:
Gary' yes I bought all of the parts and a replacement harness in December anticipating doing the PRS work at some time in the future, just not this soon. Figured if it would be safer just in case there were faults developing in other connectors they don't modify and in case I broke a connector or wiring removing the original. I spent $467 for everything including a new knock sensor jumper harness. Plan on changing the valve springs when I have the valve covers off too.
Steve
Makes sense and I had similar concerns. I did talk to PRS about their process and for peace of mind they did assure me that every completed setup is fully electrical tested before shipping back to the customer. You should have confidence this issue will be behind you after this. I still occasionally throw a P0300 but never a cam sensor code. The P0300 seems to be a catch all but it's not causing limp mode and doesn't happen often. I also have the CPR for what it's worth.

I guess it's my turn to send my harness to PRS :'(

I had my first event for the year today and the car ran great the first 2 session in the morning then after lunch, Bam, CEL pull the code and P0020 and P0022.
I can reset them but P0022 would appear at every startup. Once cleared the car seemed running fine. No limp mode.

Is it bad to run the car with that problem? And how long till it get worst? I don't really have the time to mess with it right now.

Car is #1194 built 6/24/11

Good new is I beat my personal best with street tire 8)

Swiss Boss said:

I had my first event for the year today and the car ran great the first 2 session in the morning then after lunch, Bam, CEL pull the code and P0020 and P0022.
I can reset them but P0022 would appear at every startup. Once cleared the car seemed running fine. No limp mode.

Is it bad to run the car with that problem? And how long till it get worst? I don't really have the time to mess with it right now.

Car is #1194 built 6/24/11

Good new is I beat my personal best with street tire 8)
It's fine to keep running. You won't go into limp mode but you may lise the TiVCT which will cost you a good 100 hp until you get it fixed. The cams will just remain in the zero/neutral position.

cloud9 said:
It's fine to keep running. You won't go into limp mode but you may lise the TiVCT which will cost you a good 100 hp until you get it fixed. The cams will just remain in the zero/neutral position.

Thanks for the info. That's why it felt a little slow coming out of turns but my top speed was similar so I thought it was fine

Swiss Boss said:
You should also consider updating the sensors and splicing in new harness connectors like Drew did. Here are photos of the old and new style from a 2012 and 2013 motor.

@ArizonaBOSS

IMG_5556_zpswehtpl12.jpg
IMG_5558_zpsu1ewymn5.jpg

Swiss Boss said:
Thanks for the info. That's why it felt a little slow coming out of turns but my top speed was similar so I thought it was fine
I am not sute you were actually losing the variable cam timing yet if that's the case. Mine hust threw codes the first time, but then when it worsened there was a significant dropoff. Felt like I went from driving the Boss to a Honda Civic. You may just have an intermittent issue at this point but either way will want to do the upgrade.

cloud9 said:
I am not sute you were actually losing the variable cam timing yet if that's the case. Mine hust threw codes the first time, but then when it worsened there was a significant dropoff. Felt like I went from driving the Boss to a Honda Civic. You may just have an intermittent issue at this point but either way will want to do the upgrade.

+1

Mine started with throwing codes with no performance impact, at every start-up Absolutely no issues with the PRS, and have 6 track days now....

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Just finished the PRS harness swap. Still have to put the manifold on and some small items then will fire it up. Have a China IDS coming to do Neutral Profile relearn too. Was getting cam position codes in February at VIR, just like Gary said felt like I dropped 100 HP.
Steve

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
NFSBOSS said:
You should also consider updating the sensors and splicing in new harness connectors like Drew did. Here are photos of the old and new style from a 2012 and 2013 motor.

@ArizonaBOSS

IMG_5556_zpswehtpl12.jpg
IMG_5558_zpsu1ewymn5.jpg

This is interesting as I have a 2012, but my cam phaser plugs look like the second picture shown with the wiring harness in place, but not plugged in.. Am I reading this right? The improved 2013 connectors are more square and use a pinch type release connector? If so, this might explain why I have not had any limp mode issues with my 2012.

Here is a pic of my connectors, let me know your opinion as to which connectors are on my 2012.

Thank you,
Dave
2HP

20150407_155126_zpsowjj7xyg.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
NFSBOSS said:
Interesting. Is your car a late build? They could have changed them at anytime or maybe your engine was replaced. ;)

No, no engine replacement, but it was a late 2012 Boss production date. Last week of November 2011 and is Boss number 2800, although I don't think Boss 302's rolled off the line in numerical order. I did special order the car during the last week of October 2011.

So this is interesting, a 2012 with 2013 cam connectors and plugs. Thanks for the confirmation.

Dave
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors