The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Enter the Boss...new member...possible convert seeks advice.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
161
0
So, for the last 20 or so years I've been a car fanatic just like pretty much everyone on this forum. 90% of the cars I've owned over the years have been small displacement (sometimes turbocharged) engines in lightweight japanese cars. I stepped into the realm of the German arena with a pair of Audis (A4 and S4) so I'm no stranger to having heavier cars on the track.

My most recent cars have been all Lancer Evolutions, an Evo VIII, X and IX...so I've covered the whole range. All of them either tracked or autox'ed at some point, and all three making north of 350whp. Great handling cars, said I'd drive them to my grave, etc. For some strange reason I CANNOT stop drooling over the Boss 302. To be honest I never saw myself driving an American car. Up until the most recent generation of Mustang, I always thought of the car as great for drag racing...but sloppy for the road course. Yes the aftermarket can help any car I know...but out of the box the Boss has been the only Mustang to come close to grabbing my attention.

Now, keep in mind I fully intend to take all of my "play" cars to the track or autocross so performance and handling are paramount in my car decisions. I guess what I'm really looking for is some honest feedback from anyone with experience tracking Evos (or anything similar) and the Boss. I'm no track star by any means...I'm just hoping I won't be completely let down by everything I've read about the Boss up to this point. The Boss would be replacing the Evo IX I have currently...so it would be a big commitment.

BTW, seems like a great forum with a lot of technical info, excited to have been introduced to it!
 
IX = toss it into corners and sling shot around them

Boss = steer it into corners and launch out of them


You are still welcome to come try my car, you won't get a good feel of the massive grip coming out of turns on the street but you will get a feel for the general differences. It is the ultimate evolution of the live axle GT car. I kind of wish I still had the IX to keep the Boss company, but I rather have just the Boss than just a IX.
 

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
161
0
CaliMR said:
IX = toss it into corners and sling shot around them

Boss = steer it into corners and launch out of them


You are still welcome to come try my car, you won't get a good feel of the massive grip coming out of turns on the street but you will get a feel for the general differences. It is the ultimate evolution of the live axle GT car. I kind of wish I still had the IX to keep the Boss company, but I rather have just the Boss than just a IX.

Absolutely, I will be taking you up on that (and buying the beers!). I really wish I could keep the Evo and pick up a Boss, but space constraints and my wife's patience are limiting my hooligan car count in the garage.

Completely understand that they are two completely different cars...but some change might do me some good.
 
Boostd4,

I kinda had the same issues. Loved my Porsches, my BMWs, even my Fiat (when it wasn't broken!). My first car was a Mustang but really had a big issue wrapping my brain around a "race" Mustang. Then I started adding up the $$ vs performance, along with a warranty and the lack of electronic doo-dads to break after the warranty, ie. electronic adj suspension, dual clutch auto, etc.). So I took the plunge. No test drive or nothing. Haven't even began to consider regretting it. This car is an absolute blast! You know those looks you see on the faces of all the video reviewers? I look like that everyday! It's different, fast via American brute force vs European finesse, but a lot of fun. Do it, you won't regret it.
 

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
161
0
CPTMac689 said:
Boostd4,

I kinda had the same issues. Loved my Porsches, my BMWs, even my Fiat (when it wasn't broken!). My first car was a Mustang but really had a big issue wrapping my brain around a "race" Mustang. Then I started adding up the $$ vs performance, along with a warranty and the lack of electronic doo-dads to break after the warranty, ie. electronic adj suspension, dual clutch auto, etc.). So I took the plunge. No test drive or nothing. Haven't even began to consider regretting it. This car is an absolute blast! You know those looks you see on the faces of all the video reviewers? I look like that everyday! It's different, fast via American brute force vs European finesse, but a lot of fun. Do it, you won't regret it.

Funny, I started my search for a new car with a "grown up" mindset. Balancing power and handling with a sleek package on the exterior. The M3 and the newer S4s were top of my list, then I started to realize how much maintenance was involved (especially from my prior experience with the S4) and decided to stick with my Evo. Then after seeing more and more positive press on the Boss as well as guys like CaliMR, I put the Boss on top the list for it's bang for the buck ratio.

Seems like no one is regretting their purchase...my wallet is going to start screaming soon.
 
EXACTLY! I started 3 months ago looking at 07' 911 GT3's ($75K), '11 Boxster Spyders ($70K), 08'-10' M6's ($45-60K) or possibly an 05'-08' Masarati Spyder Cambiocorsa. Just like you I kept running across all of these Boss 302 reviews and the wheels started turning. Like I said, I am a diehard Europhile, but I got tired of paying Han's kids college tuition!
 
i had an Evo ix se, it put down 376whp with bolt ons. moved to a 50trim later on, 420+ to all wheels on pump gas. i loved that car. handling and steering wise there is no comparison, evo wins hands down. after that i had a M3 and a 370z... but non of those cars had the overall driving experience like the Boss. i'd be lying if i told you i don't miss them. i do, but i wouldn't trade my boss for any of them, with the exception of a brand new E92 m3.
 
I've owned a couple of Porsche 911's and Z cars but always wanted a Mustang. This is a great place to start with a Mustang. ;D While there are more refined and faster cars the sensory experience with the Boss is top notch. No regrets here. Oh and it's pretty fast on a track too. ;)
 

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
My previous car was an E46 330Ci ZHP. It was a BEAUTIFUL car, and exceptionally poised. But it was getting to be time for a change. I had been looking at the Boss since it first started hitting the press a year and a half or so ago. I also had a chance to buy my friend's 2011 M3..... Wow what a car! After driving both, though, the visceral nature of the Boss won me over. The overall driving experience is pure and exhilarating, and it's a car that demands your respect, and rewards you accordingly.

On another note, being in a position to even consider a Boss 302 and an M3.... Well, definitely one of those moments when I pause and think wow, is this really my life?? Awesome and humbling.

So now, I finally have a Mustang in my driveway, after admiring them for a couple decades-- loved the 85 Mustang GT when I was in high school, though way out of reach for me.

I love this car.
 

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
161
0
ihatepotholess said:
i had an Evo ix se, it put down 376whp with bolt ons. moved to a 50trim later on, 420+ to all wheels on pump gas. i loved that car. handling and steering wise there is no comparison, evo wins hands down. after that i had a M3 and a 370z... but non of those cars had the overall driving experience like the Boss. i'd be lying if i told you i don't miss them. i do, but i wouldn't trade my boss for any of them, with the exception of a brand new E92 m3.

That is the part that I'm struggling with right now. It's not that I doubt that the Boss is a great car, but I fear that the mysterious combination of magic that made the Evo will haunt me. But I guess I'll need to get some hands on experience to make the final call.
 

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
161
0
Thanks for all of the input guys, this is really helping me build my case for making the change. It's refreshing to see the still positive attitude toward the Boss after coming from and considering other high end performance cars. Although the Evos have definitely been the best cars out of the 20 or so I've owned over the years, I think it's time to expand my horizons a little...and not regret it!
 

zzyzx

Steve
299
0
Your background and mine are about as close as they can be.

And let's face it, the Evo IX is a hard act to follow. The Boss is no Evo.

That's neither good nor bad, as it's an apples to oranges comparison.

Being a suspension guy, though, I still have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming (having nightmares?) that I have a "sports car" sitting in my garage with a live axle rear end.

I've autox'd and/or tracked/raced all the cars you mention (with the exception of the A4).

Also, the Boss is not a refined sports sedan like the M3. It's much more raw and "crude" and that's OK, as it's not pretending to be anything else. On this note, it lies in stark contrast to my wifes 335d (w/Sports Pkg) which is pure Bavarian composure at it's best.

For me, it came down to:

1. The glorious high-tech V8 and it's seemingly endless potential.
2. The price
3. The price to do mods and maintain it (this is where the M3 lost out).
4. The "experience" of the V8 and how it goes about doing what it does, so well.
5. The exclusivity of the Boss 302 (which far exceeds that of an M3 or pretty much anything else...).

And this article I read, which I only found after I bought the Boss, but you might find as all the remaining information you need to make your decision (if you haven't already read it):

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1108_2011_ford_mustang_302/viewall.html
 
One thing that I really like, and should not be lost on any current or future Boss owner, is the fact that Ford makes a turn key race car that uses the EXACT same engine that's in our cars. The only difference is the tune optimized for race gas, no emissions equipment and a few higher RPM's. What's really cool about that is we have access to the race teams and Ford Racing to answer questions for us. They were very helpful for many of us early owners and a lot of what you read on this forum is a direct result of what we learned from them.

The article just posted is a fantastic read.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
One thing that I really like, and should not be lost on any current or future Boss owner, is the fact that Ford makes a turn key race car that uses the EXACT same engine that's in our cars. The only difference is the tune optimized for race gas, no emissions equipment and a few higher RPM's. What's really cool about that is we have access to the race teams and Ford Racing to answer questions for us. They were very helpful for many of us early owners and a lot of what you read on this forum is a direct result of what we learned from them.

The article just posted is a fantastic read.
the oil pan didnt make the cut lol cause it would fit on the production line jig
 

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
Boostd4 said:
CaliMR said:
IX = toss it into corners and sling shot around them

Boss = steer it into corners and launch out of them


You are still welcome to come try my car, you won't get a good feel of the massive grip coming out of turns on the street but you will get a feel for the general differences. It is the ultimate evolution of the live axle GT car. I kind of wish I still had the IX to keep the Boss company, but I rather have just the Boss than just a IX.

Absolutely, I will be taking you up on that (and buying the beers!). I really wish I could keep the Evo and pick up a Boss, but space constraints and my wife's patience are limiting my hooligan car count in the garage.

Completely understand that they are two completely different cars...but some change might do me some good.

Post your thoughts after you drive his car. I would be interested in your feedback.

Brian
 

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
161
0
zzyzx said:
Your background and mine are about as close as they can be.

And let's face it, the Evo IX is a hard act to follow. The Boss is no Evo.

That's neither good nor bad, as it's an apples to oranges comparison.

Being a suspension guy, though, I still have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming (having nightmares?) that I have a "sports car" sitting in my garage with a live axle rear end.

I've autox'd and/or tracked/raced all the cars you mention (with the exception of the A4).

Also, the Boss is not a refined sports sedan like the M3. It's much more raw and "crude" and that's OK, as it's not pretending to be anything else. On this note, it lies in stark contrast to my wifes 335d (w/Sports Pkg) which is pure Bavarian composure at it's best.

For me, it came down to:

1. The glorious high-tech V8 and it's seemingly endless potential.
2. The price
3. The price to do mods and maintain it (this is where the M3 lost out).
4. The "experience" of the V8 and how it goes about doing what it does, so well.
5. The exclusivity of the Boss 302 (which far exceeds that of an M3 or pretty much anything else...).

And this article I read, which I only found after I bought the Boss, but you might find as all the remaining information you need to make your decision (if you haven't already read it):

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1108_2011_ford_mustang_302/viewall.html

Perfect...definitely what I was hoping for in the thread (not to detract from everyone else though ;D).

Like you, I'm a suspension junkie and brake fanatic. There is so much documentation about how far Ford has come with the live rear axle that my doubts diminished about it's capability as a track car.

Your list of requirements mirrors mine exactly when evaluating a car. I looked into M3 mods and couldn't stomach paying upwards of $5K for an exhaust that netted very little power. The M3 was great...very refined and well engineered. But I prefer my cars very very raw (thus why I sold my Evo X to get back into an Evo IX) and as free of electronic nannies as possible. My 2001 S2000 was probably the most raw that it got, but the Evo is a better all around car.

Number 5 on your list is probably just as important as anything else though. I had a 2006 350Z for awhile and cringed when I would pull up next to another being piloted by a 80 year old woman (true story).
 

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
161
0
batman48195 said:
Boostd4 said:
CaliMR said:
IX = toss it into corners and sling shot around them

Boss = steer it into corners and launch out of them


You are still welcome to come try my car, you won't get a good feel of the massive grip coming out of turns on the street but you will get a feel for the general differences. It is the ultimate evolution of the live axle GT car. I kind of wish I still had the IX to keep the Boss company, but I rather have just the Boss than just a IX.

Absolutely, I will be taking you up on that (and buying the beers!). I really wish I could keep the Evo and pick up a Boss, but space constraints and my wife's patience are limiting my hooligan car count in the garage.

Completely understand that they are two completely different cars...but some change might do me some good.

Post your thoughts after you drive his car. I would be interested in your feedback.

Brian

Absolutely, definitely appreciate Cali even offering. Great community here :D.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
I came out of a high-boost 4 cyl AWD somewhat similar to your EVO. All I will say is you will fall in love with this car. It takes more skill to drive at it's limits than your EVO does, but it can do some amazing things once you learn how to take advantage of all of it's capabilities.
 

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
161
0
PeteInCT said:
I came out of a high-boost 4 cyl AWD somewhat similar to your EVO. All I will say is you will fall in love with this car. It takes more skill to drive at it's limits than your EVO does, but it can do some amazing things once you learn how to take advantage of all of it's capabilities.

This is true...the Evo lets you get away with murder on the roadcourse ;D
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top