The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Enter the Boss...new member...possible convert seeks advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boostd4 said:
Like you, I'm a suspension junkie and brake fanatic. There is so much documentation about how far Ford has come with the live rear axle that my doubts diminished about it's capability as a track car.
Some think the live axle is better for the track. You'll notice it hitting bumps while in fast corners or accelerating hard but on a track it puts the power down very well.

Boostd4 said:
ihatepotholess said:
i had an Evo ix se, it put down 376whp with bolt ons. moved to a 50trim later on, 420+ to all wheels on pump gas. i loved that car. handling and steering wise there is no comparison, evo wins hands down. after that i had a M3 and a 370z... but non of those cars had the overall driving experience like the Boss. i'd be lying if i told you i don't miss them. i do, but i wouldn't trade my boss for any of them, with the exception of a brand new E92 m3.

That is the part that I'm struggling with right now. It's not that I doubt that the Boss is a great car, but I fear that the mysterious combination of magic that made the Evo will haunt me. But I guess I'll need to get some hands on experience to make the final call.

there is no other cars steer or handle like Evo on the road, STi doesn't even come close. Evo ix is the best of them all. one thing i miss particularly about the Evo is the engine. you can throw 25psi at that bulletproof cast iron motor all day long and it just won't miss a beat. that instant surge of power can't be found on a NA car.

however, there is something magical about the Boss. it is the total driving experience. this car has so many characteristics, am looking forward to grow old with it. i feel like Speed from Speed Racer when i drive an Evo. My Boss makes me feel like Steve McQueen in Bullitt 8)

Boostd4 said:
Absolutely, definitely appreciate Cali even offering. Great community here :D.

I agree, but we met on the Evo boards... and that place was half the reason I wanted out of the import scene ;D

The first time you go over some corner bumps, you will think the car is trying to buck you into a ditch. Eventually you will learn to trust it, and once it sets it has tremendous grip and feels like the tires are digging into the pavement. It is a different feel from any IRS car I have driven, it really feels like it is digging trenches. Pretty addictive.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
This is a great read if you want to learn what was going on inside of Ford when they took on Ferarri and won at Lemans. I am not a big book reader, but this was a page turner. You hear about Carroll Shelby, Lee Iaccoca, Mario Andretti and others and how the big American V8 was hitting unimaginable speeds. Hearing Enzo complain that the Americans are running engines with cylinders the size of wine bottles is pretty funny.

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Like-Hell-Ferrari-Battle/dp/0547336055/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344424765&sr=1-1&keywords=go+like+hell

Brian

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
So I was up until 1am reading...and reading...and reading (I get into the office at 6am btw). Seems like the trick now is finding a Boss at MSRP, and not some insane $10K markup price.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Boostd4 said:
So I was up until 1am reading...and reading...and reading (I get into the office at 6am btw). Seems like the trick now is finding a Boss at MSRP, and not some insane $10K markup price.
Just cause they are asking for a markup doesnt mean they get it. keep that in mind. when I bought mine they wanted 10k markup. got it down to 750 bucks. I could live with that as I traded in a ticking time bomb muwhahahahaha

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
Justin said:
Boostd4 said:
Just cause they are asking for a markup doesnt mean they get it. keep that in mind. when I bought mine they wanted 10k markup. got it down to 750 bucks. I could live with that as I traded in a ticking time bomb muwhahahahaha

Well, the one locally is a very low volume dealer (Livermore, CA) so they are sticking to their guns. I'm typically pretty darn good at negotiating at the invoice level, so it will probably just take a little elbow grease.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Boostd4 said:
Justin said:
Boostd4 said:

Well, the one locally is a very low volume dealer (Livermore, CA) so they are sticking to their guns. I'm typically pretty darn good at negotiating at the invoice level, so it will probably just take a little elbow grease.

Are you looking for an LS or regular Boss 302 ?

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
PeteInCT said:
Boostd4 said:
Justin said:
Boostd4 said:

Are you looking for an LS or regular Boss 302 ?

Looking at the Base 302 with Recaros and the Torsen diff, which seems to be the standard configs that most dealers get.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
CPTMac689 said:
Yeah, they wanted $9K over for mine but I got them down to sticker in about 2 minutes. Took another 3 hours to raise my trade-in by $3K! ;D

So there is a SBY LC locally going for $60K...which the internet manager says is 1 of 7 in the country. So they apparently aren't budging on that car. He also stated that $5K over MSRP was the "standard" markup on the base Boss, but they are willing to work with me.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
It's all about the timing. Want a Boss 'right now' in prime time summer cruising season? Markup. Buy in December? 1K or more under MSRP. I was very lucky to find my Boss here in New England where the 5k ADM is the norm, and you feel 'lucky' if you can talk them down to 'just' 3-4k over.

SCREW 'EM!

Stick to your guns. Your Boss is waiting somewhere else out of state, keep looking, it will show up. I heard Race Red is the fastest... ;)

zzyzx

Steve

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
Thanks for the offers guys, I'll definitely start branching out if it becomes a circus here locally. It's beginning to sound like I'll be able to at least get MSRP on the base Boss. Of course the LS is going to carry a premium...just because :-\.

But I think I'm at the 99% point now boys, thanks for all the help!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Boostd4 said:
That is the part that I'm struggling with right now. It's not that I doubt that the Boss is a great car, but I fear that the mysterious combination of magic that made the Evo will haunt me. But I guess I'll need to get some hands on experience to make the final call.

The BOSS has some mysterious magic of its own--you'll be under its spell the first time you get the car out for a romp and the sidepipe restrictor plates are removed :)

MA
Welcome to the forum OP!

This is a great community here, lots of diverse car experience to share from. The Boss draws all kinds of car guys from drag racers, road racers, and just cruisers. I was a die hard drag racer before I bought mine, now all I can think about is carving corners. Heck, my daily driver is a 2010 F250 diesel, and even today I caught myself cutting apexes on off ramps because I was day dreaming about driving my Boss!

Personally I love engineering and fit and finish, and Ford did an awesome job engineering the capabilities of the Boss at it's price point. Fit and finish-wise, they left a lot on the table, but the car really does have a lot of character that would be tough to find in most other cars today. I've had tons of Mustangs, and right before I bought my Boss I was set to close on a 2007 CPO Carrera (base, not S) for slightly more than the Boss was. Trouble was I went and test drove a Boss ( long story unto itself) and after that became convinced it was the car for me. Just hit all the right buttons on my car enthusiast scale.

I live in New England and was able to find mine at MSRP. The one I test drove had a 12k!!! Markup which they didn't reveal until I was in the finance office right before I walked out the door.

Good luck with your search!

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Where in New England and which dealer? I called and visited several dealers in southern NH and MA and it was all the same story. Just say NO to ADM, someday, the public will prevail.

MA
ace72ace said:
Where in New England and which dealer? I called and visited several dealers in southern NH and MA and it was all the same story. Just say NO to ADM, someday, the public will prevail.

It was Rodman Ford in Foxboro MA. The car was a 2012 Boss and it was right before Christmas! Pretty wild they were asking 12k markup!

I should have known something was up when the salesman said of the 2011 GT500 they still had in the showroom that it was a "rare Shelby" lol.

At least I got to beat on it though, enough to convince me that a Boss was a great car, and enough to delay my dream of one day owning a 911 for a little while longer.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
ace72ace said:

If you don't want an LS then Sarat Ford in Agawam Ma may do sticker on a Boss. Not on an LS though.

Hey fellas, Just happened to stop in and see whats up. I don't get on here much since I got my boss, but I keep seeing people waiting so long for their cars. I mentioned the last time I was on here about an available red new 13 at a local dealer at or below msrp. It was number 0917. I think it is still there, but now I'm seeing at least 3 dealers within 5 miles of me here in Louisville that are showing 2013 bosses at msrp. a red, green, and white. No body seems interested. If any one is just do a zip code search of 40219 and 40229 under "new ford vehicles".

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel