The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Enter the Boss...new member...possible convert seeks advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
So...change of plans.

Cancelled the Boss I ordered. I found one down in LA (At $500 under MSRP no less) so I'm flying down this Saturday to pick her up.

CANNOT WAIT!

See you guys at the track! ;D

Oh dang! Congrats, that is a good deal. Take the scenic route on the way back so you break it in good instead of taking the highway. Also check the oil when you pick it up and make sure it is full. Check it again each pit stop or every 200 miles. Mine burned 5 quarts in the first 2500ish miles but has not burned a drop since I changed the oil at that point, as far as I can tell. Some other people have had similar experience. Also the oil idiot light doesn't seem to do anything when it is low so need to do it manually.

There was a 12 and a 13 at the track yesterday, I was there in my mouse car since my gf was going to be driving too.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
CaliMR said:
Oh dang! Congrats, that is a good deal. Take the scenic route on the way back so you break it in good instead of taking the highway. Also check the oil when you pick it up and make sure it is full. Check it again each pit stop or every 200 miles. Mine burned 5 quarts in the first 2500ish miles but has not burned a drop since I changed the oil at that point, as far as I can tell. Some other people have had similar experience. Also the oil idiot light doesn't seem to do anything when it is low so need to do it manually.

There was a 12 and a 13 at the track yesterday, I was there in my mouse car since my gf was going to be driving too.

Yeah I was just gonna ask about that. Should I pick up a few quarts at the dealer for the ride home? I know it takes a 5w-50 synth...which I probably won't be able to find at the average gas station.

I guess the savings is offset by the flight and gas...but driving on the open road in a new Boss....priceless. ;)

I would get 2, but only because mine would have needed it. It needs to be the 5w50 "spec B" to meet warranty requirements, so yeah you probably won't find it at the gas station. If the parts guy looks lost, tell him it is the same as the Shelbys. $20 is cheap insurance in case you get one that likes to drink like mine did.

I can't think of anything else you will need, unless maybe some painter's tape to prevent chips on the first drive ;D and a lot of water to keep hydrated.

Also be careful about the lip until you get a feel for the length of the hood.

Oh and a ratcheting 15 mm box wrench (iirc the size correctly) to pull out the baffles.

Mine have been out for months. It gets a little annoying if you are just cruising the highway so I put baffles in for highway road trips. But I made my own by tracing them on a piece of sheet metal and then snipping them to shape, and cutting a slot instead of a hole for the bolts. That way a couple turns, slide it in or out, and button it up, instead of having to pull off the pipe. But honestly I have not even put them back on in months. You will get a bit of a stutter noise, like a j-brake on a semi, under deceleration if you don't have Trackey but you can do a 3/4" hole in the baffle instead of the little stock one to get most of the good noises and greatly reduce the j-brake. One of the members here sells different baffles.

Boostd4 said:
Cancelled the Boss I ordered. I found one down in LA (At $500 under MSRP no less) so I'm flying down this Saturday to pick her up.

Sweet.

My 2012 Boss replaced my 2004 Evo 8 RS as my "sports" car. You're in for a real treat.

George

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
VTBoss302 said:
Boostd4 said:

Sweet.

My 2012 Boss replaced my 2004 Evo 8 RS as my "sports" car. You're in for a real treat.

George

Miss the Evo at all?

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
CaliMR said:
Mine have been out for months. It gets a little annoying if you are just cruising the highway so I put baffles in for highway road trips. But I made my own by tracing them on a piece of sheet metal and then snipping them to shape, and cutting a slot instead of a hole for the bolts. That way a couple turns, slide it in or out, and button it up, instead of having to pull off the pipe. But honestly I have not even put them back on in months. You will get a bit of a stutter noise, like a j-brake on a semi, under deceleration if you don't have Trackey but you can do a 3/4" hole in the baffle instead of the little stock one to get most of the good noises and greatly reduce the j-brake. One of the members here sells different baffles.

Yeah I have a feeling they will be out of my car pretty much all the time...but I've been reading about "tuning" the sound by putting different sized baffles in. Just part of the fun of exploring a new car.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
Grant 302 said:
Did I miss it? What color are you getting?

Congrats on the deal! Are going back via the 15 or 101?

I got a Performance White with Recaros and Rear Diff. Still haven't decided which route I'm taking, I5 might not be the greatest for break in.

Sesshomurai

Boostd4 said:
Grant 302 said:

I got a Performance White with Recaros and Rear Diff. Still haven't decided which route I'm taking, I5 might not be the greatest for break in.

Nice. Can't wait to hear your after thoughts.

Boostd4 said:
Grant 302 said:

I picked up my PW in Orlando and drove back to DFW through Louisiana; I-12 Baton Rouge; 190 East to I-49 to I 20. The longer, scenic is the best because you get to drive fast then slow; fast,then slow.etc.

I had the restrictor plates removed before the trip (this is a must). Anyway, I was told by a very knowledgable sales person and the Tech line at Ford Racing, that it was very important not use the Cruise Control for the first 500 miles and to not use the TracKey (if you get it installed before leaving). I alternated engine speeds for the whole trip home, even after the 500 mile mark and it was completely enjoyable.

You'll See!!!

Boostd4 said:
Miss the Evo at all?

Definitely.

I've been fortunate enough to own and operate many different vehicles and the Evo is one of my all-time favorites, but I enjoy the Boss just as much, if not more.

My general criteria for a "sports" car is something that offers good performance and is fun to drive while still retaining decent street ability. Something I can take to the track (road course) and still enjoy on the street. Both the Boss and the Evo are excellent choices in this regard.

I was the original owner of a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8 RS. For those who are unaware, the RS model was unique in that it did not come with a stereo, power windows, power door locks, rear wing and so on in an effort to reduce weight. Another thing that really set it apart at the time was the inclusion of a front helical gear LSD. Combined with a viscous coupling center LSD, a clutch type rear LSD and no ABS, it was an enthusiast's delight. Only around 500 were imported in that model year.

IIRC, MSRP was around $26,500. IMHO, it was quite likely the best performance car value of modern times. I bought what may very well have been the last new 2004 RS for $23,500 after the 2005 models were introduced. Apart from the cheaper price, the main reason I chose the 2004 model was because I didn't want the computer controlled Active Center Differential that became standard across the USDM Evo range in 2005.

Anyhow, having sampled all the Evo 8-9 variants (I've never driven an Evo X), I'll try to make some quick "real world" comparisions to the Boss.

In spite of their obvious differences (4 cyl turbo vs. NA V-8, AWD vs. RWD, 4 door vs. 2 door) they are surprisingly similar, as well, in their feel and function. They are probably about equal in terms of build quality, fit and finish. They both have a refreshingly simple interior with more of an emphasis on performance than extra bells and whistles.

As far as value is concerned, I would give the advantage to the Evo (especially the RS, not so much a 9MR SE or a new X). They also respond very well to simple mods and I would probably argue that Evos are cheaper and easier to modify. The amount of aftermarket options currently available for the Evo are simply staggering. I think I looked at like 100 different aftermarket exhaust systems before buying one for my Evo.

For me, the Evo's greatest strength is its AWD system. It inspires so much confidence and makes it so easy to get the power to ground. I also feel that the steering in the Evo was second to none. The response and feel was borderline telepathic.

The Boss requires a little more care in exploring its limits, but it is by no means a difficult car to drive. The optional Torsen differential does a wonderful job and its mechanical operation is seamless and very predictable. Thankfully, the traction control and AdvanceTrac can be completely disabled. The behavior of the solid rear axle does take some getting used to, though, especially on bumpy roads. Nevertheless, it is a very rewarding driving experience.

I could go on, but in the end so much comes down to personal preferences that the only one who can decide which is better is you. I hope you like your new Boss. I know I do.

George

I agree on the steering, steering feel is the weak point (other than the shifter) on the Boss. Very few cars can compare to the Evo in that regard. It is also a lot more high-strung, and far cheaper to mod (until you break something) due to being FI from the factory. The weight is another big difference, the Boss feels like it plows and floats a bit in the hills even at 5/5. The live axle takes getting used to, but once you trust it there is massive grip. Even mid corner bumps, it feels like it is hopping but I have never had it hop enough to interrupt grip.

As for driving on the track, the Evo was far easier to drive fast but imo the Boss is more rewarding as it requires more skill. At the top level, to squeeze out the last 1/10 second on a lap, I'm sure they are similar in skill, but for the average guy the Evo almost drives itself, though the Boss is still far from a difficult car to drive.

They are different kinds of cars, but each is a superstar in its own element. I'd take my old Evo IX on a wet track, severely potholed back roads, or really twisty switchbacks, but at all other times the Boss is my choice.

zzyzx

Steve
Boostd4 said:

PW with Recaros/Torsen? That sounds oddly familiar!

Perfect choice, if I do say so myself. :)

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
Well...Evo left my garage today :-\...but the Ford dealer called and said my Boss is all ready to pick up ;D.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel