The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Enter the Boss...new member...possible convert seeks advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
So its 1:30am and just settling in after a LONG drive home from LA. Exactly 500 miles on the clock and I have an ear to ear grin stuck on my face.

Will postpics andimpressions tomorrow after a little sleep...but for now all I can say is WOW!

Ive had mine since July30th (drove it home from Orlando to Dallas/Ft.Worth).

My wife wants to know when I'm going to stop smiling and giggling like a teenage girl (every time the side exhausts bark and bubble, etc.)

Wow is accurate

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
CaliMR said:
Congrats! The great thing about the Boss is that not only is it fast and looks good, but it is just plain fun to drive.

My dad went with me for the trip...we were supposed to trade off drivers during stops...yeah didn't happen ;D.

Poor guy. Eventually I hope you let him drive it, if he is as old as my dad he probably remembers when the old Bosses came out.

CaliMR said:
Poor guy. Eventually I hope you let him drive it, if he is as old as my dad he probably remembers when the old Bosses came out.
LOL.

I am (62)! I remember exactly when the 69 Boss came out!

That's why I bought mine sight/unseen/no demo drive; Just what I read about them on the forums, etc.

I begrudgingly allow my sons in law (27,36, 38) drive mine!!

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Boss949 said:
CaliMR said:
LOL.

That's why I bought mine sight/unseen/no demo drive; Just what I read about them on the forums, etc.

...and your daughters???

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
My dad has the opportunity to purchase an all original 1970 Boss, I think this pushed him over the edge.

So I spent more time with the car this morning (after about 5 hours of sleep). My initial impressions are that the motor is FANTASTIC. Pulls from 2K and does not run out of steam, at least until 6K where I stopped myself for break-in.

Shifter is definitely in need of a little tightening up. The only gear that was really notchy was going into 6th...but that may be just my inexperience with the transmission. Brakes felt nice and strong, although I didn't do a lot of high speed braking they definitely brought the car down fairly quickly and predictably. I was averaging about 24mpg coming up from LA, filled up once on the way home over roughly 500 miles (after the initial full tank from the dealer). Oil level stayed steady the whole trip.

I took a few offramps at speed against the wishes of my dad, but the car felt nice and planted. Road noise was fine, much quieter than my Evo. Steering feel was definitely a little numb in spots, but the car definitely turns very well. The LRA definitely gets some getting used to, but did not ever feel abrupt or unstable over bumps. I can definitely feel the car's weight, but coming from a 3200lb Evo that was expected. It actually is the same weight as my old Evo X, so it wasn't pig like at all.

One thing that really didn't surprise me was the attention the car got on the road and during stops. Holy crap people were drooling over this thing. I had truckers honking and giving me thumbs up as well as other Mustang drivers. Had a B7 Audi S4 try to play with me...yeah that didn't end well for him.

Zero regrets...zero hesitation doing it again if the situation presented itself again. Thanks again everyone for your input and advice, this car ROCKS!

four-walling said:
Boss949 said:
CaliMR said:
LOL.

...and your daughters???
They are relentless; but I've pointed out the 3 seats that are available to them (no pedals to mess up their shoes!)

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Boss949 said:
four-walling said:
Boss949 said:
CaliMR said:
LOL.

...and your daughters???
They are relentless; but I've pointed out the 3 seats that are available to them (no pedals to mess up their shoes!)

Come on dad, toss the girls the key to the Boss.

They would put the word on the street that you are the coolest dad in the whole universe!

Kerry,

sshhh they already think that I'm the coolest.

Toss the keys? Never. Let them drive it with me in the passenger seat? possibly.

Wait, I remember, I let my oldest daughter drive it (she's the one who works at Sun State Ford and hooked me up with the deal).

Her husband had a 2009 GT Vert that was all modded up and she hated it. Drove mine and loved it!

I'm glad I didn't steer you wrong when you PMed me on the Evo site. The car just gets better, once you take the seal off the upper revs.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
CaliMR said:
I'm glad I didn't steer you wrong when you PMed me on the Evo site. The car just gets better, once you take the seal off the upper revs.

Pretty much nailed it on the head man...awesome experience so far.

Still need to grab that beer btw.

TMO Supporting Vendors