The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Equinsu Ocha Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lol and thanks for the remarks. Yes I’ve been a long time lurker and I have been much more involved on the 6g forum (db252) when I first got the car. I have followed this forum closely though since it pertains much more track involved input. Bought this car brand new on New Year’s Eve of 2015 and my hands have been all over it as you can tell. All the work listed has been installed by myself and I’m deep into this car more than any other I’ve owned. This car got me back to track life which has been longer than I can count and that goes back to the days when I attended Bob Bondurant instruction at Sears Point (Sonoma) so you can see how far back that was. While track days were limited to about 6 a year with this car, being 53 and freshly retired I’m planning for quite a bit more. My continuing influence is to keep the car comfortable and drivable on a daily basis for myself and the wife as she loves driving it (rare occasion) but making it more than track capable. All that means is heavy race car that can be driven anytime with more than enough power (900whp/700tq). I’m a gear head enthusiast like the rest of you and can’t leave s#%t alone.
Thanks again for the welcome and I’ve extremely enjoyed all the threads I’ve read from this site.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Modifications from A to Z! What a nice guy to include every letter of the alphabet, ha,ha! Well, White Devil, your cousin just wanted to drop in and say hi, though yours is the devil in the details and mine devilishly overweight. Diet coming for driver and his mount.

Great post and we do want some track videos! You did date yourself, though I am quite a bit older , since I went to Bondurant in Chandler , AZ. in the mid 90s , so if you were at his school in Sonoma you went when you were a pretty young man!!

Thanks Bill and well done defining the name; not everyone gets it. Yeah I broke down my age with the Bondurant comment as it was summer of 86 when I was there playing (learning?) in their 85 Mustang's. Wow that seems so long ago as I put this down.
Adding more letters to the alphabet as we speak. Steeda road racing k member, GT500 oil pan/high volume oil pump kit and and a Boundary black billet oil gear set in it. And oh I bought GT500 cam covers as well since I couldn’t bare to put the plastic ones back on. I will update with pics when my hands are clean again.
Thanks for getting me into start posting over here.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Nice build! I might have missed it (age 68 eyes) but I didn't see any added engine cooling. 900HP on a road course is going to be tough to cool, very very tough to cool. You'll need more water and oil cooling with that kind of power.

Also, the Track Day pads are inadequate for even stock engined cars like mine. I like Hawk DTC50 front/30 rear, but many others here prefer pads from GLoc, Raybestos, Pagid, Ferodo, etc. Tim at OP Mustang can help with that. With the speed that car is going to be capable of and its weight you're going to need something way stouter than the Track Day pads.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
JDee is so correct with that kind of horsepower and if you don't take his advice when you get to the end of the straight you will wish you were wearing maxi pads, hehe!

G-Loc 18 up front , and G-Loc 10s in the rear ( just one of the many hundred suggestions you will get )

Cooling is something we always need more of. I’m working on an oil cooler that will also separate the stock water cooled oil cooler. I was never really having heating issues with oil and water over the last few years and our ambient temps can get really hot some days. My issue as it seems most were differential related and the cooler that’s on there now alleviated that problem. Why I may have that power available, I’m certainly not using all of it on track nor boost sometimes.
Braking is something I’m always messing with. I know the track day pads aren’t the greatest but they have seemed to do well. I’ve tried gloc and another brand but haven’t tried the Hawks and I will look into that. My Wilwoods in the rear do what they do and I’m good with that. I’m always open to suggestions/advice. Running the Castrol SRF fluid so that never lets me down.

welcome, there are a great bunch of people in here. about that retirement thing, both Bill Pemberton and myself are retired..I was retired for about 10 days before I discovered I had another career and didn't know it... lol

welcome, there are a great bunch of people in here. about that retirement thing, both Bill Pemberton and myself are retired..I was retired for about 10 days before I discovered I had another career and didn't know it... lol

That is AWESOME! What a great transition you had. You and I my brother retired from the same profession of one of the best jobs ever. I'm going to go over that link you sent and give it its due time when I get the moment (being retired seems like I should be able to read it now for as long as I'd like though right?........although we know retirement is way busier than working.) Thanks for the welcome.

Newest addition. Added the Watson IC tank to my setup for quite a few reasons. First off since adding the new K-member, the Whipple IC tank no longer had a third point of bracing which I fixed temporarily. Secondly I want to put an oil cooler in that area and a trans cooler on the opposite side as this will free thoss spots especially switching to the GT500 front bumper or the new Mach 1 bumper (aftermarket versions of course). Thirdly, I already moved the battery long ago so that space was open just begging for something. The extra volume is nice, I now have an ‘ice’ tank if I want to use it (I won’t) and getting the tank off the left front nose and between the wheels is nicer. Yes it’s a higher point but the weight is still far less from the stock battery. I sourced all hoses for the retrofit from the original Whipple hoses and kept everything 3/4” id as much as possible. Stock Whipple IC id is .650“ and the Watson tank is 1/2” NPT which makes for the smallest points. I have the pump temporarily mounted until I fab a bracket for it. I’ll shut up now and just show some pics.

3510F910-0928-420E-A1D5-0AC5870987C8.jpegB5B47FB0-FF17-4EE7-9A52-5B195A99D58E.jpeg778A5A8A-757F-434B-A983-A171A54FC44E.jpeg69429BF6-BF27-4B09-8BD1-A6AC2E86FB3F.jpeg71A4A40E-1172-4960-8AB0-4EA6DB63F2A2.jpegF79662C0-F3B2-4526-A824-5083909DAC08.jpeg31CCDC8E-AFE3-49CE-9A6E-FA9A4EA3CDAE.jpeg8DE556DA-1E81-4809-806B-5FF751652111.jpeg013B1DBC-03EE-4C82-B172-6E730D53A653.jpeg

So far so good. I topped it off just over the return port that can be seen in the video. Didn’t expect better iat2 temps and it maintains the same temps as before in regards to outside temps and speeds I’d be driving while on street. If anything it make take slightly longer to get to its top temp.

TMO Supporting Vendors