The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Eric's Candy Red S197 Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I was just posting a long over due review of the pads. See the new thread I just posted.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Okay, I had some brake cooling hose inlet ducts designed and 3D printed to facilitate changing hoses as needed. I was tired of removing the front bumper cover to change out the 3" hoses each time I caught them on a tire. This new routing should also help keep the hoses away from the tires. The ducts did not come back as far as I was thinking, so I can't change them from the wheel well like I was hoping. I still need to remove the plastic splash guard underneath, but do not have to take the entire front end off. These were designed to fit the 2011-2012 front end with the Boss/CS lower fascia using the fog light openings with 3" cooling hoses.

IMG_5931.jpgIMG_5934.jpegIMG_5935.jpegIMG_5929.jpgIMG_5932-1.jpeg

IMG_5935-1.jpeg

IMG_5932.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Okay, I had some brake cooling hose inlet ducts designed and 3D printed to facilitate changing hoses as needed. I was tired of removing the front bumper cover to change out the 3" hoses each time I caught them on a tire. This new routing should also help keep the hoses away from the tires. The ducts did not come back as far as I was thinking, so I can't change them from the wheel well like I was hoping. I still need to remove the plastic splash guard underneath, but do not have to take the entire front end off. These were designed to fit the 2011-2012 front end with the Boss/CS lower fascia using the fog light openings with 3" cooling hoses.

View attachment 90163View attachment 90164View attachment 90166View attachment 90167View attachment 90168

View attachment 90165

View attachment 90169
Looks great! Any chance you’ll be making more/selling any?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Looks great! Any chance you’ll be making more/selling any?
I have already paid the engineering/design costs. The printing is the cheaper part. The print job takes around 10 hours per side. The shop that did it for me can print more. I am waiting on the price to reprint them. I should no more in a day or two.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I just heard back. It is $265 to print each set. Remember these were made to fit the 2011-2012 Mustang GT with the Boss/CS lower fascia and 3" cooling duct hoses. I need to look at a stock GT lower fascia and see if they will fit the back. If so, it may be possible to run a hold saw through to open up the holes. If anyone is interested in a set pm me and I will get you the information to the shop that designed/printed them for me.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Regular GT lower fascia isn't going to work. I thought it had the molded in fog lights without the cutouts, but I was mistaken. That design is one I've seen but don't remember where.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
What material did they use for the inlets? I've got one side done on my Bullitt, but have abandoned the other one for now, as they both need a bit of redesign. I used nylon for the one that's done, but will eventually get them both made in ASA.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I'm not an engineer and will not pretend to know the structural properties of the different materials. I do not have the design skills and no nothing about 3d printing. I know my limitations. That is why I farmed this one out. I was not a cheap project but I am happy with the outcome.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Most likely nylon. It's a fairly common combo, but I haven't tried it yet. It's fairly expensive, so I'd want to be pretty proficient at getting things set up before I try it. Standard ASA is still kicking my butt at times.
He talked about using a carbon infused material initially but ended up using ASA in the final product.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The carbon infused wouldn’t hold form and was losing its shape during printing. He said other cooling ducts previously made from carbon infused material started to show cracking with age. They switched to ASA for durability and printability.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
The carbon infused wouldn’t hold form and was losing its shape during printing. He said other cooling ducts previously made from carbon infused material started to show cracking with age. They switched to ASA for durability and printability.
I've got several ASA pieces under the hood of my car that have already been through about 4 track day events and they still look new. I switched from ABS when I found out it was very similar, but also had UV resistance. It's way trickier to print than the standard PLA, but it is definitely way more temperature resistant. I'm sure I'll use ASA when it comes time to try making the ducts again. Good to hear he's had good luck with it.

TMO Supporting Vendors