The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Eric's Candy Red S197 Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Boone NC
:cool:Not a car question but a trailer question: where did you get the tire rack for your trailer? I have a Featherlite and I'd like to put a tire rack on it this winter. The Featherlite dealer quoted me $2k for their rack; I'm thinking about a Trailex rack which should be able to bolt on. Your rack doesn't look like either of those...

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Nice build Eric , on a color that evokes appreciation from almost everyone ---- such a great look on the Mustang! Look forward to hearing about your track adventures in 2021. Had to look up Lenoir City ,as I sold a Viper there years back and I noticed you are in a great spot to get to many of the great tracks. It looks equi-distance to VIR, Road America, Charlotte,NCM Motorsports Park, and Barber Motorsports Park, so I would imagine there are many envious racers on TMO?!

Happy Holidays

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I had a local welder build a tire rack for my trailer, it bolts on with 4 honking great bolts into the trailer top deck frame, easily removable by two guys or maybe two good sized girls, trying to avoid sexism complaints here. I'm sure any decent welder could whip one up quite easily. Cost the princely sum of four hundred canuck bucks, which is about $3.95USD.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No sexism here, we are all aware with the amount of Beer drunk in the Provinces , Canadian girls tend to be a bit bigger than their US counterparts, haha.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
:cool:Not a car question but a trailer question: where did you get the tire rack for your trailer? I have a Featherlite and I'd like to put a tire rack on it this winter. The Featherlite dealer quoted me $2k for their rack; I'm thinking about a Trailex rack which should be able to bolt on. Your rack doesn't look like either of those...

R&R Trailers in Southwest Michigan. They built the trailer and added on the tire rack for me. It is welded together, so it wouldn't ship well. If I had it over to do I would change a couple minor things. I would make it a little smaller so the tires don't sit quite so low. Also, I would order it without holes drilled for the locking bar. They used a 2" bar with 2 1/2" holes. None of them would line up with my tires, so I had to have plate welded over the holes and re-drill it to work. They offered to fix it, but it was too far to take it back to them. They sent me the plate and I had it welded locally. I am not set up to weld aluminum. Finally, it is welded to the trailer, so it will take a grinder if I ever want to remove it.

I have seen a few people mount the Trailex racks on Featherlites. They work well due to the bolt together design. It is easy to adjust the length of the beams to fit the trailer.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Nice build Eric , on a color that evokes appreciation from almost everyone ---- such a great look on the Mustang! Look forward to hearing about your track adventures in 2021. Had to look up Lenoir City ,as I sold a Viper there years back and I noticed you are in a great spot to get to many of the great tracks. It looks equi-distance to VIR, Road America, Charlotte,NCM Motorsports Park, and Barber Motorsports Park, so I would imagine there are many envious racers on TMO?!

Happy Holidays
There is nothing really close, but some good tracks are not too far. NCM, Road Atlanta, and Barber are all about 4 hours. Charlotte and VIR are a bit further. I have been to all of them over the last few years except VIR.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Heh, EF1, there are loads of drivers that would give their eyeteeth to be as close as you are to NCM, RA and Barber. You are one lucky TMO member in my book! You will enjoy VIR as it is a rush, but then so is RA in my estimation -- that is one of my favorite tracks in all of the US of A!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
It is all relative. I know someone that lives 20 minutes from Road Atlanta. He is able to go much more often since it is so close. He doesn't have to stay in hotels and he can run home for lunch if he needs tools. I finally made it to NCM last month to run the grand full course. It was the first time I tried to learn a track on my own. Usually I get an instructor at new tracks to shorten the learning curve. It took most of Saturday to get comfortable and start gaining speed. I was running pretty good on Sunday. I am looking at going back in March for my birthday.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Finished rounding up the parts for a minor cooling system upgrade. The plan is to flush the cooling system, replace the stock components with a Fluidyne aluminum 3 core radiator, 7 blade FRPP fan assembly, FRPP high flow water pump, Mishimoto silicon hoses and a Reische 170 degree thermostat. Now waiting for a little warmer weather to complete the install. I am not in the mood of playing with the water hose in near freezing temperatures.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I took advantage of the warmer weather this weekend and started my cooling system upgrades. I now have a Fluidyne 3 core radiator, the FRPP 7 blade electric fan, the Gen 2 high flow water pump from Capaldi Racing, a Reische 170 degree thermostat, and silicon hoses. I still need to put the front bumper cover back on. It had to come off to get the bolts out of the a/c condenser. I noticed some wear on my brake cooling duct hoses when I took the wheels and bumper cover off. I will probably order new hoses to install before putting the front cover back on.

tempImagerg3kRb.png

tempImage4Dooyg.png

tempImageaeAD5u.png
The Fluidyne radiator is a lot thicker than the stock piece.
tempImagefCsyZQ.png
tempImageVrPQqw.png
The original stock water pump is on the left.
tempImagelieiNJ.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The item Eric's Candy Red S197 has been updated:

After 6 or 7 years the Orange Koni's were past due for a refresh. It looks like the front left was starting to seep a bit. This time around I decided on upgrading to Yellow Koni's. I also upgraded from Steeda Sport Springs to the Steeda Competition Springs. Here is a comparison of the stock Brembo pack springs with the Steeda Sports and the Steeda Competiton springs.

Fronts
1625953494643.png

Rears
1625954333984.png

While I was under it I changed the oil, tranny lube, and rear diff. I also lubed the sway bar and control arm bushings. Finished it off with a fresh Goodridge rear brake lines and a flush with Castrol SRF. After an alignment it will be ready for Barber in 2 weeks.

Does anyone have any recommendation on settings for the Koni's for the track? I am coming from non adjustable struts/shocks.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
1/4 turn from full stiff on the fronts 1/4 turn from full soft on the rear should get you started but also don’t know the spring rates but I think this will get you headed in the right direction
Thanks, the front springs are 225 lb/in and rears are 185 lb/in.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Steeda Competition Adjustable:

Currently in the middle hole front and back. I was running middle front and softest rear with the Sport Springs and Koni Oranges.

Omg lol we seriously have almost the same set up lol I was using both as well but on the same holes but found that with the steeda rear bar on (even on full soft) the rear end felt twitchy to me so I put the factory rear bar and all seems good. But it could be just me

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I ran full soft in the rear and middle in the front with previous set up. Steeda recommended fun soft in the front and middle in the rear with the new set up. I was afraid to go softer in the front than the rear, so figured I would start it in the middle and go from there. I need to get it aligned this week and put a few road miles on it to start dialing it in a bit before Barber in 2 weeks.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I ran full soft in the rear and middle in the front with previous set up. Steeda recommended fun soft in the front and middle in the rear with the new set up. I was afraid to go softer in the front than the rear, so figured I would start it in the middle and go from there. I need to get it aligned this week and put a few road miles on it to start dialing it in a bit before Barber in 2 weeks.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I could only get -1.5 degrees of camber after installing the new struts/springs, so I pulled them back out. The Steeda camber plates were replaced with a set from Vorshlag. I also cut the towers while I had the struts out this time.

Before:
IMG_0709.jpg
After:
IMG_0715.jpg

I still need to clean up some dust from cutting and grinding and schedule another alignment. I think I can get more than -1.5 degrees camber now.

TMO Supporting Vendors