The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exedy clutch and flywheel install question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I brought my 12 Boss 302 to a well known speed shop that 2 people recommended me to. They are changing out the stock clutch for the Exedy hyper single w/lightened steel chromaly flywheel. They called me yesterday and said the new flywheel is 3/4" smaller then the stock one.

I verified that I ordered and Recieved the right part numbers for my car. Is this normal?
Did I Recieve the right part?
Has any one else come across this when they changed theirs?

The shop put a call into Exedy and are waiting to hear back from them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I didn't see it. I'm only going by what the shop is telling me. 3/4" seems like a big difference.

Not 3/4"

What they are saying is the factory crank is 1.75", the exedy flywheel is 1.743".

Exedy is saying it should be within 0.002. But it's not. It's 0.007.

Could this be the flywheel for the 4.6L motor?

That's what the shop thinks. That maybe it was misboxed or mislabeled.

Does any one know the spec of that flywheel?2c56168880e7610af5a6a754f18cb0fa.jpg5d74679822e6a009378b76a0b99625a8.jpg49fe746284d54d2d5a96a89f6fc25720.jpg

Or are they being too critical with the measurements?

0.007 is such a small amount. I think if was doing the install myself, i would have just used the bolts to pull it on.

It's my understanding that all mod engines and coyote engines use the same flywheel (8 bolts).
Exedy catalog shows that kit covering 1996-2016
The bolts and bolt pattern are correct. It's the size of the crank and the size of the hole in the flywheel that the crank goes into that are the issue

Sorry I reread. Yes your right, the 4.6 uses the same flywheel.

Last edited:
If the flywheel is smaller does it fit on the crank?

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
You do NOT :eek: pull a flywheel on with the bolts!!! A .007" smaller hole is not going to work. You will screw up the crank and flywheel.

So it is out of spec.[emoji2959]

Now they are saying I have to contact the distributor to get a replacement from exedy.

I contacted beefcake racing and am impatiently waiting.

Team beefcake racing reached out to my shop and is trying to get the problem remedied quickly. It is totally not there fault. Exedy drop shipped the clutch and wrong flywheel

It's my understanding that all mod engines and coyote engines use the same flywheel (8 bolts).
Exedy catalog shows that kit covering 1996-2016

there were a few 6 bolts back in the day, as stated , you don't want to pull the flywheel on with the bolts. Glad to see they are getting it handled. This si why I fit everything up flywheel, disc, t/o bearing all prior to installation.
I'm not sure which is stranger..the fact that Exedy sent you the wrong flywheel, or the fact that they got one of those cheapo digital verniers to actually display

I am a machinist, .007 is a mile, do not even try to install, even .002 interference fit is to much, I would think
.000 to .002 over the crank size would be just about right.
Thank you, they are not installing it. We are waiting for beefcake racing to get exedy to exchange it.

Thank you.
I don't know if it's bad machining or the wrong flywheel

In either case it's Exedy's problem but of course now the car is stuck on a lift until at least Tuesday...I'd say that was a good catch on the part of the shop, if it was the opposite, it may have snuck by.

So, second flywheel came and still no good. The flywheel with this clutch does not fit my crank (all stock motor) . The shop had a coyote crate motor and it wouldn't fit that either. I would think that exedy would send out the correct part after an RMA sent back with pictures and measurements that don't fit. This 1 was actually smaller then the first. Exedy offered me half price off the flywheel if my shop could bore the hole out to the correct size. The owner said he didn't have the equipment to do that.

I'm returning this setup and going with McCloud RST.

TMO Supporting Vendors