The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exedy Hyper Single Users Chime in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Boss still has the stock clutch at 37k. I'm the second owner of the car, 1st owner babied it never tracked it ect... car has MGW race spec, Ford Racing line and a separate reservoir. I have a Hyper Single clutch kit new in the box and I have been on the fence about installing due to various things I've read about it's drivablilty. I drive approx 2000 street miles per year and do 1-3 track events per year. Is this clutch hard to drive on the street? Is there any other quirks about this clutch that I should know about?

Thanks

Ron

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Definitely a higher engagement point, but worth it for the quality and durability. I’m running it with a Tremec, but the engagement characteristic is similar with the MT-82. The best drivability solution is this adjustable clutch pedal stop. Install is a bit of a pain, but if you replace your clutch master, you’re already pulling the pedal assembly and cheap insurance if you’re doing the rest of the clutch hydraulics.

AB595D35-1C14-47FD-82BD-E5B3ACA1BF07.jpeg

Ron, I installed an Exedy Hyper Single a little over a year ago and I am very happy with it. I drive about the same as you and have not had any drive-ability issue in day to day driving. Now the clutch effort is a little higher than the stock clutch but that is about the only difference. You will have to relearn how to use the clutch as due to the lighter mass it does spin up quicker but after about a month of driving to break it in I had it down pat and really enjoy driving the car.

I also had installed the MGW Shifter, a separate clutch reservoir and the trans cooling scoop before changing out the clutch and was still having lockout issues while running on track. After the Exedy Clutch install the lockout has disappeared. Just make sure to replace the throw out bearing when doing the installation!

On a side note, I just installed the Ford Performance 1 piece Aluminum Driveshaft and noticed even more improvement, it should be next on your list!

drano38

Wayne
I've had one in my Boss for about 2 years now. Engagement higher on the release (and I still can't get use to it), but I don't consider it too grabby for street use, or in parking lots.
I have the MGW Race Spec and Driveshaft Shop aluminum.
I do need to get one of those MGW brackets though.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Definitely a higher engagement point, but worth it for the quality and durability. I’m running it with a Tremec, but the engagement characteristic is similar with the MT-82. The best drivability solution is this adjustable clutch pedal stop. Install is a bit of a pain, but if you replace your clutch master, you’re already pulling the pedal assembly and cheap insurance if you’re doing the rest of the clutch hydraulics.

View attachment 14994

tell me more about this. Using it on a magxl/6060 and hyper single?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
tell me more about this. Using it on a magxl/6060 and hyper single?
Yeah, Mag XL with hyper single. It limits the down stroke of the clutch pedal. So despite the high engagement point, it feels much more normal once adjusted properly as the clutch engages shortly after you start releasing the pedal.

+1,000,000 for the MM clutch pedal stop! I have it with my RST and it makes the car so much easier to drive. These multiplate clutches that engage so high up in the travel are annoying to modulate when your are releasing the clutch from a stop and have to go through all of the dead travel before you get to the slightly herky jerky clutch engagement. If you do any street driving, especially on hills, it can be super annoying. The MM pedal stop was a game-changer for me because now the clutch engages pretty soon after your foot comes off the stop.

NJ
I didn't like the Hyper Single for street duty. Noisy and difficult to modulate smoothly from a standstill, especially during hard launches. If it was primarily a track car then I could see it but otherwise there are better options for an occasional track-day use vehicle. I wound up switching to an Exedy Stage 1 kit.

Just got the car back from the shop. Initial impressions I’m gonna like this clutch a lot. It is grabby but not to the point of annoyance. Pedal engagement feels very close to stock. Driveline slop is gone thanks to the new driveshaft. Thanks again to this site and the members. Can’t wait to get the track

Just got the car back from the shop. Initial impressions I’m gonna like this clutch a lot. It is grabby but not to the point of annoyance. Pedal engagement feels very close to stock. Driveline slop is gone thanks to the new driveshaft. Thanks again to this site and the members. Can’t wait to get the track
Hey how’s it going interested in what you think of the clutch after these few years?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks for the feedback man appreciate it, ill be going this route.
I have the Exedy single and find it consistently resolves the typical problems - over 80% of the 4500 miles on my race spec Boss are on track and I would say it performs extremely well, far above the stock set up.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I had the single put in last year. No more being locked out on the track. I love it but I am still trying to get used to the engagement point due to it being pretty high. Wish someone made a clutch pedal stopper

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
I actually like the engagement point where it is, maybe bc it gives you just a slight bit more room to time everything during heel toe downshifts before cornering. Not much difference that I can tell though and it becomes natural over time.

For me, driving a race spec Boss vs stock Boss is in some ways like driving two different cars, but the Boss DNA is still felt and relied upon on track everytime. Either way, we all gotta get used to adjusting to different set ups when tracking our car or after making performance improvements - otherwise we can drive ourselves nuts!

TMO Supporting Vendors