The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exedy Mach 600 Clutch Noise - Is it normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I recently replaced my stock clutch after it went out on me on the track with the Exedy Mach 600 and it’s lightened steel flywheel. I also took the opportunity to install the FP short throw shifter. The clutch works well and was excellent on the track.
However, when engaging the clutch in reverse or to go in 1st there is a sandpaper or hissing type sound during the engagement process. Is that noise normal?

Also, the transmission doesn’t always like to engage in first from a stop the first time now and requires a reattempt half the time. I have had no issues in 2nd through 6th.
Thoughts?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
I recently replaced my stock clutch after it went out on me on the track with the Exedy Mach 600 and it’s lightened steel flywheel. I also took the opportunity to install the FP short throw shifter. The clutch works well and was excellent on the track.
However, when engaging the clutch in reverse or to go in 1st there is a sandpaper or hissing type sound during the engagement process. Is that noise normal?

Also, the transmission doesn’t always like to engage in first from a stop the first time now and requires a reattempt half the time. I have had no issues in 2nd through 6th.
Thoughts?
Did you replace the throwout bearing as well with the new clutch? Does it feel like the engagement point has moved at all?
I have had the first gear engagement issue for years now, but I'm still on the stock clutch and gearbox. I think it's partly a clutch disengagement issue (possibly due to a bad ToB) coupled with worn synchros, and possibly related to my next idea related to the sound:
I I've had that sound crop up intermittently too, but that could just be some friction material on the flywheel, not surprising after a track day - try a few hard/high rpm shifts with a fast clutch engagement (basically drop the clutch pedal to re-engage) and it could clean some of that material off the flywheel if that is the case, that has helped my issues somewhat, at least with the sound and the inconsistent engagement point. The procedure was recommended by a Ford tech who tracks his Mustang.
Never really found a fix for the 1st gear lockout, hoping a new clutch and synchros will fix that for me.
Good luck.

Did you replace the throwout bearing as well with the new clutch? Does it feel like the engagement point has moved at all?
I have had the first gear engagement issue for years now, but I'm still on the stock clutch and gearbox. I think it's partly a clutch disengagement issue (possibly due to a bad ToB) coupled with worn synchros, and possibly related to my next idea related to the sound:
I I've had that sound crop up intermittently too, but that could just be some friction material on the flywheel, not surprising after a track day - try a few hard/high rpm shifts with a fast clutch engagement (basically drop the clutch pedal to re-engage) and it could clean some of that material off the flywheel if that is the case, that has helped my issues somewhat, at least with the sound and the inconsistent engagement point. The procedure was recommended by a Ford tech who tracks his Mustang.
Never really found a fix for the 1st gear lockout, hoping a new clutch and synchros will fix that for me.
Good luck.
I did replace the TOB. I am still on the stock clutch line although I have the FP stainless steel line available for install the next time I drop the exhaust. The engagement is about the same. It is a little different but I expected that with a racing clutch. Bummer on the first gear engagement background. That is frustrating.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
It might be that your 1st & reverse issues are from the new shifter assembly. Check to see if there is an adjustment screw that limits or increases the amount of reverse lockout movement. You may have too much travel to the left as you pull the shifter towards you then up to first gear.

I’m not sure about the Ford Performance shifter but at one point it was a rebranded Barton Shifter. Reason I pose this question is that I had a very similar problem with my second version MGW shifter. In fact from a neutral position going for1st gear it would sometimes land me in reverse! Way too much left travel in the shifter as it came over the reverse lock out bracket. Also similar noise was heard from a misalignment in the shifter to gear box shift rod. The noise only happened when I moved the shifter from/to reverse & first gear. No noise in neutral or 2nd thru 6th gears. No noise with clutch operation. Try starting off in 2nd gear to see if the noise is present or just in going from 1st to reverse. (PS: George overnighted a new shifter once I explained the issue to him, Great Customer Service.)

I would suspect if it were a clutch or TOB noise it would present itself in all gears.

Another common mistake during clutch replacements is shimming the TOB with zero standoff clearance between the TOB & PP release splines/forks. TOB are not designed to have constant engagement with PP release forks and/or splines as it leads to early TOB failures.

Last thing to remember is your Barton Shifter may not have any Shift Rod Travel Adjustments, just something for you to check in to.

Good luck and please let us know what you find.

The

It might be that your 1st & reverse issues are from the new shifter assembly. Check to see if there is an adjustment screw that limits or increases the amount of reverse lockout movement. You may have too much travel to the left as you pull the shifter towards you then up to first gear.

I’m not sure about the Ford Performance shifter but at one point it was a rebranded Barton Shifter. Reason I pose this question is that I had a very similar problem with my second version MGW shifter. In fact from a neutral position going for1st gear it would sometimes land me in reverse! Way too much left travel in the shifter as it came over the reverse lock out bracket. Also similar noise was heard from a misalignment in the shifter to gear box shift rod. The noise only happened when I moved the shifter from/to reverse & first gear. No noise in neutral or 2nd thru 6th gears. No noise with clutch operation. Try starting off in 2nd gear to see if the noise is present or just in going from 1st to reverse. (PS: George overnighted a new shifter once I explained the issue to him, Great Customer Service.)

I would suspect if it were a clutch or TOB noise it would present itself in all gears.

Another common mistake during clutch replacements is shimming the TOB with zero standoff clearance between the TOB & PP release splines/forks. TOB are not designed to have constant engagement with PP release forks and/or splines as it leads to early TOB failures.

Last thing to remember is your Barton Shifter may not have any Shift Rod Travel Adjustments, just something for you to check in to.

Good luck and please let us know what you find.

The
So the thing I did that made a big improvement was simply replace the transmission fluid. I still have some trouble when the fluid is cold putting the car in first then reverse (three point turns are esp bad). However, once the fluid is watm and I’ve been driving almost no issues. At a stop light sometimes I still have resistance going into first from neutral but can put it into 2nd then downshift while still stopped and go. Does this information change any feedback?

I think that's the same clutch I have in my 07 GT500, I installed that and a Blowfish bracket/drive shaft hoop at the same time. Moving the shifter from the body to the trans resulted in a massive noise change in the cabin. You can hear, and feel in the shifter everything that trans is doing. It's not horrible, if you drive it normally, it's not really noticeable. Also first and reverse gears take the most beating of any gear in the trans, so you might be seeing some wear, and with regards to the Tremec, it does shift better when it's warm, this is not that unusual, in full on performance transmissions it is really noticeable.
FWIW back in the day, before they put synchros on reverse, it was common to have to place the trans in a forward gear, then go to reverse, this is why I'm thinking it might just be normal wear, reverse and first synchros are getting a bit worn, the input shaft bearing is also probably helping out as well.
IMO if you know the throw out bearing isn't trying to engage full time, and the pilot bearing is good, I'm thinking it's just normal noise (and wear) that is being translated through the shifter into the cabin.

I think that's the same clutch I have in my 07 GT500, I installed that and a Blowfish bracket/drive shaft hoop at the same time. Moving the shifter from the body to the trans resulted in a massive noise change in the cabin. You can hear, and feel in the shifter everything that trans is doing. It's not horrible, if you drive it normally, it's not really noticeable. Also first and reverse gears take the most beating of any gear in the trans, so you might be seeing some wear, and with regards to the Tremec, it does shift better when it's warm, this is not that unusual, in full on performance transmissions it is really noticeable.
FWIW back in the day, before they put synchros on reverse, it was common to have to place the trans in a forward gear, then go to reverse, this is why I'm thinking it might just be normal wear, reverse and first synchros are getting a bit worn, the input shaft bearing is also probably helping out as well.
IMO if you know the throw out bearing isn't trying to engage full time, and the pilot bearing is good, I'm thinking it's just normal noise (and wear) that is being translated through the shifter into the cabin.
That’s what I’m starting to think. Glad to know it’s a reasonable thought.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel