The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exhaust....GT500 or Pypes cat back?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6NRzDiIrvo[/youtube]
KonaBlue302 said:
That sounds great Force :) I cant wait to get my AED tune and exhaust next week.

Dave

I have the AED tunes, including Lopey. I'm sure you know that you have to delete the Cats to run the lopey? I've got the Jegs Performance stainless steel.

My first exhaust with the AED tune was the Roush Extreme with stock H pipe. Crazy loud and after I installed the AED, then my barking on decel, turned into full cannon shots!! Because of the Roush mufflers that had no restrictions.

I changed the H pipe to a FRPP X Pipe and sold the Roush and installed the FRPP 2013 GT500 Quad Exhaust.

Sounds awesome, no drone (Roush did);

Performance is definitely increased. I have no dyne #'s to compare. However, the seat of my pants Dyno, tells me I get better performance with X Pipe/GT500's. I'll try to post my video of Lopey Idle. Pypes is somewhat louder or at least a different tone.

Boss949 said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6NRzDiIrvo[/youtube]
I have the AED tunes, including Lopey. I'm sure you know that you have to delete the Cats to run the lopey? I've got the Jegs Performance stainless steel.

My first exhaust with the AED tune was the Roush Extreme with stock H pipe. Crazy loud and after I installed the AED, then my barking on decel, turned into full cannon shots!! Because of the Roush mufflers that had no restrictions.

I changed the H pipe to a FRPP X Pipe and sold the Roush and installed the FRPP 2013 GT500 Quad Exhaust.

Sounds awesome, no drone (Roush did);

Performance is definitely increased. I have no dyne #'s to compare. However, the seat of my pants Dyno, tells me I get better performance with X Pipe/GT500's. I'll try to post my video of Lopey Idle. Pypes is somewhat louder or at least a different tone.

Yeah, Shaun @ AED said that all of his tunes are off road exhaust (cat delete).

Your exhaust sounds great. Do you still have the side pipes also? I was considering the quad GT500's kit but the rear valance/fascia doesn't fit 2012 only 13'+ :mad:

Im going to stick with the H pipe and use the side exhaust plates to fine tune the sound between awesome and awesomely obnoxious. I may move to an X pipe if I go with LTH but I heard there isn't much improvement with just the headers. The big restrictions are the cats, mid pipes, and factory muffler. With those gone, they breathe really well. I also like the gutted cat idea, the exhaust will still appear "stock" (We use to do that back in the late 80's on our Grand Nationals to get thru the visual cat inspection) The only cost is the axleback Gt500's, a couple straight pipes in place of the mids and labor....cheap cheap with the full effect of a $1500+ exhaust.

I will post a video(if I can figure it out) after its all installed. If it works out well, I will start a "budget exhaust build" thread. Although most people that have, and can afford, these cars are not really budget minded but I like the "stock" appearance look. It Keeps them all guessing.

Dave

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
here is mine with JEGS cat deletes and magnaflow comp cat back aed lopey idle tune
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7wtcoQSzLE[/youtube]

here is mine with ARH headers and off road x pipe and magnaflow comp cat back
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP2uXLzXbHI[/youtube]

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
KonaBlue302 said:
Yeah, Shaun @ AED said that all of his tunes are off road exhaust (cat delete).

Your exhaust sounds great. Do you still have the side pipes also? I was considering the quad GT500's kit but the rear valance/fascia doesn't fit 2012 only 13'+ :mad:

Im going to stick with the H pipe and use the side exhaust plates to fine tune the sound between awesome and awesomely obnoxious. I may move to an X pipe if I go with LTH but I heard there isn't much improvement with just the headers. The big restrictions are the cats, mid pipes, and factory muffler. With those gone, they breathe really well. I also like the gutted cat idea, the exhaust will still appear "stock" (We use to do that back in the late 80's on our Grand Nationals to get thru the visual cat inspection) The only cost is the axleback Gt500's, a couple straight pipes in place of the mids and labor....cheap cheap with the full effect of a $1500+ exhaust.

I will post a video(if I can figure it out) after its all installed. If it works out well, I will start a "budget exhaust build" thread. Although most people that have, and can afford, these cars are not really budget minded but I like the "stock" appearance look. It Keeps them all guessing.

Dave
you can run his lopey idle tune with cats. I did for nearly a year

Justin said:
you can run his lopey idle tune with cats. I did for nearly a year

Yes, he did say that I could run cats but all of his tunes are programmed for off road exhaust and that I could use the cats but eventually they would deteriorate and fail.

BTW yours sounds awesome also Justin. Thanks bud

Boss949 said:
changed the H pipe to a FRPP X Pipe and sold the Roush and installed the FRPP 2013 GT500 Quad Exhaust.

My car sounds exactly like yours. I run the Quad GT500's, LTHs, O/R X and AED cam tune. I love it.

I missed the mail lady today and subsequently missed my AED tuner delivery......F*** me. My daughter had the day off from school so I took her for some lunch...... Damn it. Go figure, anything that has to do with the federal government is unreliable......she never comes before 3pm. Today she came between 1:10 & 1:45. Atleast I can pick it up @ 9am and then I can spend the rest of my days running that lope idle tune. Throw in some racing fuel and hit the track. There is nothing like the smell of race fuel, a lumpy ass cam idle and a beer......LIFE IS GOOD ;)

Dave

Boss949 said:
Me too. Great muscle car sound and the quads look awesome.

The LTH's? Noticeable difference in performance.

Headers on our cars are a big gain. Some people will tell you that it's not worth the hassle but for me it definitely is. It's a good peak gain but the power under the curve is so nice.

ForceofWill said:
Headers on our cars are a big gain. Some people will tell you that it's not worth the hassle but for me it definitely is. It's a good peak gain but the power under the curve is so nice.

If there are good gains with the LTH then I'm in. I like Kooks Long tubes. Im going to see how loud it is after the gt500s and no cats. If there is still room for more loudness without being ridiculous then I will do the headers.

I just recv'd my programmer and installed my AED tune. Im running lope idle and this thing sounds sick, The freakin car shakes just like the old solid lifter race cams. It also feels so much smoother all throughout the rpm range. Plus better all around drivability. Im very impressed. I had the track key before and AED tunes kick azzzzz big time.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel