The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exhaust....GT500 or Pypes cat back?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok, this question may have been asked before but I couldn't find the answers.

I am looking to get more performance and a good sound.

Ok, Im ready to do an exhaust upgrade but am torn. I like the sound and price of the Pypes pype bomb cat back system. Im not sure if it has any performance increases over the stock boss exhaust. If your familiar w/the system its 3" has its own mid pipes and resonators at the end into 4" tips. Does anyone have the system and does it have any HP gains over stock that you are aware of?

GT500 exhaust. There are a couple of options and don't know which route to go on this one. There is a 3" GT500 cat back comes w/xpipe but I want to keep my side exhaust. Or do I just do an axle back GT500 axleback and does it provide enough performance gains or is the complete system the way to go?

Is anyone aware of any HP gains with the GT500 over the stock exhaust?

Which do you have, and do you like it?

anybody had both, Which do you like better?

I am looking to be able to justify the cost difference between the 2 systems. If there is a 10+ rwhp gain on theGT500 exhaust over the pypes, then its worth the price difference imo. Just tryin to finger it out ;)

Thanks in advance

Signed,
Confused :-\

You will probably get the same numbers from either system, and if you like the Pypes system then look at the Magnaflow Comp and the Flowmaster Outlaws. Both the Magnaflow and the Flowmasters have a little better sound then the Pypes IMO, and they sound different than the GT500 which I like since everyone has those.

Brandon302 said:
You will probably get the same numbers from either system, and if you like the Pypes system then look at the Magnaflow Comp and the Flowmaster Outlaws. Both the Magnaflow and the Flowmasters have a little better sound then the Pypes IMO, and they sound different than the GT500 which I like since everyone has those.

I also checked the flowmaster and magna flow but I liked the tone of the pypes on AM website better. They had video and sound clips of all of all mentioned except FRPP GT500. Guess I will check youtube and see what they sound like. But for the $600 difference between the GT500 and Pypes and not much difference other than the sound. I would go with the Pypes.

Anyone else have any input or thoughts as far the performance difference?

Thanks Brandon,
Dave

If you're only going to change the axle back go with pypes. If you plan on changing the mid pipe or headers go with the GT500 axle back. The GT500 axle back with my Kooks headers and H pipe sounded awesome!

USNjocson said:
If you're only going to change the axle back go with pypes. If you plan on changing the mid pipe or headers go with the GT500 axle back. The GT500 axle back with my Kooks headers and H pipe sounded awesome!

Im going with a full cat back. The Pypes has resonators at the exit and mids same location as stock exhaust. The catback GT500 is more than twice the pypes catback cost but it includes an xpipe but doesn't have the boss side exhaust adaptor ports :(

Did you keep your side pipes? if so, is it the stock h pipe?
Did you do it all at once or at different times and was there a noticeable increase in HP/performance?

I can also just gut the cats and run either exhaust from just behind the side pipe/H pipe section.

Decisions :-\
Dave

KonaBlue302 said:
Im going with a full cat back. The Pypes has resonators at the exit and mids same location as stock exhaust. The catback GT500 is more than twice the pypes catback cost but it includes an xpipe but doesn't have the boss side exhaust adaptor ports :(

Did you keep your side pipes? if so, is it the stock h pipe?
Did you do it all at once or at different times and was there a noticeable increase in HP/performance?

I can also just gut the cats and run either exhaust from just behind the side pipe/H pipe section.

Decisions :-\
Dave

I am running Kooks long tubes, Kooks offroad H, Kooks side pipes with 5/8" restrictor plate, lethal performance over the axle pipes and '14 GT500 axle back. I did everything at once this time and felt a huge difference. I've gone through 4 axle backs with this set up that include, '12 GT500, Roush, Borla S, '14 GT500. The Borlas were the best sounding but I wanted to give the quad tips a try. The cheapest way would be to get parts used from here or other forums.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiV5w-2VHvk[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq_R5yR_3Lw[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNjD71vbcpk[/youtube]

Nicely done setting off those car alarms. Although it sounds very similar to a friends G8 which is odd.

OP, also be aware that the Pypes, assuming since they are similar in design to the Outlaws and Sport Comps, will produce drone, and I mean a lot. Sometimes on the highway with my Outlaws I cannot hear my wife if she doesn't speak up and I usually also have to turn the radio up to ludicrous levels.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
forceofwill had the pypes system on his 12 GT and IMO it sounded ok but had lots of drone. I would go with a Magnaflow Comp cat back. it moves the mufflers back where they are supposed to be and wont crowd your Driveshaft. The clearance he had there was very small and if it shifted it rattled the car like crazy.

The GT500 axle back isnt going to gain you much in sound or performance. The GT500 is just a little louder and a little deeper (I had it on my boss for a while).

There really isnt that much hp to be gained with any of them 5-7. You can gain a lot of sound and power buy going with headers and a mid pipe or just a mid pipe ditching the cats.

I personally steer very clear of flowmaster products. had them on my mustangs in the past and horrible welds and fitment and it is/was made of aluminized steel which rusts rather badly from the inside out.

mid pipe
http://www.mrt-direct.com/boss-302-non-catted-h-pipe.html
http://www.mrt-direct.com/93p902.html

over the axle pipes
http://www.jpcracing.com/2011-up-mustang-gt-boss-2-3-4-mandrel-bent-over-the-axle-pipes-stainless-steel-revised/

and your choice of axle back
http://www.americanmuscle.com/2010-mustang-axleback-exhaust.html#shop-by1

what I have
http://www.americanmuscle.com/magnaflow-competition-catback-2013gt.html

there was a used one on facebook group still for sale for 400

Justin

here you go I bumped the magnaflow comp cat back up to the top on this facebook group. he is now asking 350
https://www.facebook.com/groups/290274504442668/

Wow, thanks everybody for your input. Now im even more confused...just kidding.

USNjocson, your car sounds awesome. My AED is on the way...cant wait.

Thanks Justin....I looked at getting your set up also in my deliberations but After 2 days of intense psychotic research I have determined the GT500 has the sound Im looking for. I also found that im absolute obsessive compulsive and probably should be locked up in a little padded room somewhere, but I digress.

I have a great exhaust guy in ft Lauderdale, Rob @ Florida performance exhaust. This guy does one offs for champion Porsche and local Ferrari/Lambo shops. He is awesome. Anyway this is what I finally decided on:

GT500 axleback.( Ordered today and on its way)
Then Have Rob replace the mids with straight pipes.
Keep the factory H pipe and side pipes and either go wide open or use the 3/4" plates (wont know until I hear them both) or Have him take or make an X pipe and add the side pipe flanges.
Finally, Either gut the cats or have him make some cat delete pipes.
All for $900-$1000 including parts and labor. :eek:

The good thing is he has done many of my cars and trucks, Buick turbo t, el camino, my other mustangs....etc and he always gives me a smoking deal. Plus he welds everything I want welded and clamps the rest.

That combo should sound awesome. The only thing I think may sound better(to me) should be to use the dual tip GT500 axleback instead, but the fascia kit doesn't fit 2012 so not an option.

Now I need to see who wants to sell their OE exhaust... the cats to the h pipe section. Anyone want to donate(;)) or sell their nuisance OE exhaust that's just taking up precious garage space for ccccheap ?

Thanks for the help,
Dave

I think you made the right decision. After getting rid of the cats, the GT500's are about as loud as I like right now and I don't have side pipes anymore. If you keep the cats, take the plates out of the H and you should have a nice sound. Take the cats out of these cars and you get much much louder.

ForceofWill said:
I think you made the right decision. After getting rid of the cats, the GT500's are about as loud as I like right now and I don't have side pipes anymore. If you keep the cats, take the plates out of the H and you should have a nice sound. Take the cats out of these cars and you get much much louder.

That's good info. Thanks Force. Do you think the x pipe hassle is necessary having to get the extra flanges made and welded on plus the cost of the X pipe or should I just stay with the factory H pipe and gut the cats. That would be the best bang for the buck and very close to equally as effective as the X pipe hassle. Plus, when they look under the car, it still "looks" stock other than the straight pipes in place of the mids. I like stealthy looking where nothing "looks" like its been heavily moded. But there is nothing stealthy about this loud exhaust with the AED lope idle program 8)

I think I just talked myself into keeping the OE H pipe and gutting the cats. Its getting cheaper and cheaper. It sounds like a good budget exhaust build thread.... GT500's, swap mids for straight pipes, and gut cats. Cheap Cheap.

Justin

Jegs sells cheap cat deletes with hardware and gaskets included. I had them on my boss they made the car crazy loud with the magnaflow comp cat back

USNjocson said:
Dave I have OEM cats sitting in storage that I keep stubbing my toe on :mad: I can send them your way if you buy me a redbull and cover shipping :)

Sold!

I will message you my address and we can figure out what shipping and a pack of redbull costs and I will paypal you.

Thanks Brother,
Dave

Just keep the stock H since you're just deleting the cats. I wouldn't have gone to an X if I didn't do LTH.

This is my GT with the Pipes catback and no cats/headers. It was so F'ing loud.

[youtube]WJsXLZbE4ic[/youtube]

TMO Supporting Vendors