The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exhaust Manifold Gaskets – Race Quality - Where to find?

129
0
I am looking for "Exhaust Manifold Gaskets – Race Quality" for my long tube headers, does anyone know where I can order a good set that will last long, that have a perfect fit and will not leak?
 

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
1,094
66
Maryland
Stock are as good or better than any aftermarket "race" gaskets.

But if you want some multi-layer dead soft aluminum gaskets from kooks, I have a set for you...since I reused the stock gaskets ;D
 
401
0
Re-used stock as well. Place I got my work done didn't want to use the ARH ones because they didn't want to deal with leaks.
 
367
1
Sorta related to this topic:

Has anyone bothered wrapping the OE headers with header wrap? Or is it too much of a PITA to remove to make it worth while?
Just trying to reduce engine compartment heat...as it's HOT IN THERE. This is the first car I've had where the factory didn't supply a heat shield for the exhaust manifold...
 
367
1
LOL thanks for your response.
Good to know that it's easy to do if I only had a cherry picker :D :D :D

More importantly, good to know that it yielded a profound effect. I'm also worried about the alternator wires near the manifold, so this will help that too. Honestly though, is it a big pain to get at it from just under the car? I keep hearing that long tube headers are a pain - but is it because they are a pain to install due to clearance for hand tools etc?
 
129
0
pufferfish said:
Stock are as good or better than any aftermarket "race" gaskets.

But if you want some multi-layer dead soft aluminum gaskets from kooks, I have a set for you...since I reused the stock gaskets ;D

Thx, that are the ones I have currently installed. They do not leak but it is just a question of time...


Grant 302 said:
With all of the modular engines, the factory MLS multi layer steel gaskets have historically performed the best.

@All, thanks for all the replies, great forum, as always. :)

The stocke ones I do not have anymore (mistake...) and they were also not as thight as I would have liked. Any other ideas and just in case, does anyone know the part number of the OEM exhaust manifold gaskets?

PS: I wrapped my LT as well, wrapping went well with 4 hands available. Alone it would have been a pain to do.
 
steveespo said:
BR3Z9448A

Gasket each $17.74 from Tousely Ford. I would use a thin film of permatex Ultra copper RTV on the header flange side nothing on the cylinder head side.
Steve

As usual, top notch advice from steveespo...

My recommendation, if you're super OCD, is a ceramic based formula in lieu of the copper..

Just IMHO, nothing more and nothing less.
 
129
0
steveespo said:
BR3Z9448A

Gasket each $17.74 from Tousely Ford. I would use a thin film of permatex Ultra copper RTV on the header flange side nothing on the cylinder head side.
Steve

VTBoss302 said:
As usual, top notch advice from steveespo...

My recommendation, if you're super OCD, is a ceramic based formula in lieu of the copper..

Just IMHO, nothing more and nothing less.

Great input guys, as always, thanks! :D
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top