The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exhaust Plates for BOSS 302, GT and 2015+ GT Side Pipes For Sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: 2012/2013 Mustang BOSS 302 Side Pipe Exhaust Discs For Sale

PP sent for a set of 3/4. Love the new pipes wide open, but better have something on hand to quiet them when needed!

The 5/8" plates sound real good and are not that much louder than factory. They howl nicely on acceleration and burble on engine braking with little snap, crackle, pop. These are fine for subdivisions ruled by neurotic nanny-state liberals.

I live in the country and wish I had ordered the 3/4" plates, or bigger. And I'm 61 years old.

One thing we can all agree on, the 7500 RPM Boss engine pulls stronger all the way to cutoff and it sounds just awesome!

One tip I can add is that a dab of silver anti-seize on the studs can make it a lot easier next time you want to change the plates.

F-22 said:
I live in the country and wish I had ordered the 3/4" plates, or bigger. And I'm 61 years old.

One month in: Son says 5/8" isn't loud enough, and I agree. Wife says 5/8" is a little too loud. So I guess 5/8" is good for me for now. :)

No drone or resonance at highway speed, in fact they are pleasant at highway speed.

Hello....

As I mentioned on another post, I'm a new Boss owner - a '13 Race Red. I've read on multiple sites that owners remove the stock side exhaust discs and then I saw this thread.

Question - what does the stock disc look like? Is it solid (no holes)?

I'll likely order some of Rick's discs, but I'm curious about what is in the pipes now. Also, if the stock plate is solid and (in essence) blocking the engine exhaust from exiting the side pipes, why did Ford put them in the pipes in the first place? Has it always been Ford's intent to let the Boss owner control the sound and exhaust?

Thanks!

CooG302 said:
Hello....

As I mentioned on another post, I'm a new Boss owner - a '13 Race Red. I've read on multiple sites that owners remove the stock side exhaust discs and then I saw this thread.

Question - what does the stock disc look like? Is it solid (no holes)?

I'll likely order some of Rick's discs, but I'm curious about what is in the pipes now. Also, if the stock plate is solid and (in essence) blocking the engine exhaust from exiting the side pipes, why did Ford put them in the pipes in the first place? Has it always been Ford's intent to let the Boss owner control the sound and exhaust?

Thanks!
Welcome to the club! Stock disc has, I believe, a 1/4" hole that lets some exhaust pass. I had the 3/4" disc in for a while, and that sounded quite good. But then I went commando... ;D

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland

Welcome CooG302

Please see the Pictures from my Boss.

The Picture on the Left is a Exhaust Disc from Rick with 1" hole and i love it.
The Picture in the middle shows the difference between the stock hole and the 1"
The Picture on the right shows the pipe without a disc

Last edited by a moderator:

Great... thanks for the info guys.

My Boss is not a daily driver, so I think I'll add a bit more rumble. :)

3/4" sounds like the way to go.

Another question. Since the LS is more of a "true track car", did Ford still restrict the side exhaust with the same sized disc?

CooG302 said:

Another question. Since the LS is more of a "true track car", did Ford still restrict the side exhaust with the same sized disc?
They are the same size in both cars.

CooG302 said:

The 3/4" seems to be the good balance for me, between the 5/16" stock, and 'Commando.' What a great sound !!!

Re: BOSS 302 & Mustang Side Pipe Exhaust Discs For Sale

I installed the 3/4 " plates with gt500 mufflers and it sound awesome. Not to loud, not to quiet. Just right.

I wanted to let everyone know that I've confirmed through Ford Racing that the side pipe kit for the new 2015+ S550 Mustangs use the same flange. That means that these exhaust plates will work on the new kit.

I'll be listing these on ebay in the next day or two but the price will go up a few dollars. If you're going to order I suggest your order using the procedures in the first post and save yourself some money.

dlaude6 said:
Wow, did not know the stock size was so small. To those people who are saying that commando and 1" is too loud, are you running cats? I drove one Boss the other night that sounded great, but the one I ended up buying is very quiet (and completely stock), just trying to decide. Guess I could always try commando first.
I have tried them all.
Best size for me was 3/4 with Roush axel backs.
But now I have lost the cats and HOLY LOUD BATMAN.
if you are all stock and just want it louder than 3/4 is the way to go.
If you go louder than that you will get the Jake brake effect when you let off the go fast pedal. At first it will sound good but it will get old QUICK.
IMOP I could not stand the J Brake effect in the Boss. But we all hear things different.

TMO Supporting Vendors