The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exhaust Plates for BOSS 302, GT and 2015+ GT Side Pipes For Sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: 2012/2013 Mustang BOSS 302 Side Pipe Exhaust Discs For Sale

A big thanks to Rick for shipping these out!
It was very well packaged, and shipped in good time. Rick was on top of the shipping and sent me status updates on the progress, as the shipment was delayed (to no fault of his own). These are really nice quality plates. Thick, perfectly straight stainless steel. Install was a breeze.

FWIW, I ordered the 3/4 size. I went from full open to 3/4. The sound difference was large--approx half the volume of fully open side pipes. However, the sound character of the car was altered greatly, and I missed the full open sound. So I went back to full open :) Regardless, these plates are spot on. Highly recommended!

Glenn said:
Got mine yesterday, very nice pieces, better than OE quality. Thanks, Rick.

Fully agree on that, I am very happy with my mine. :D

I just did a road trip of just under 1000 miles with no disks. Driving highways at 60-65 and interstates at 75-80. The interstates were fine and had no drone at all. The highway speeds of 60-65 droned pretty bad. The overall sound level without disk is loud but was acceptable ;D, the drone was not :(.

So what do you all think? 3/4", 7/8" or 1".

Thanks,
Ed

12Boss said:
I just did a road trip of just under 1000 miles with no disks. Driving highways at 60-65 and interstates at 75-80. The interstates were fine and had no drone at all. The highway speeds of 60-65 droned pretty bad. The overall sound level without disk is loud but was acceptable ;D, the drone was not :(.

Thanks,
Ed
I'd start with 3/4".

12Boss said:

Thanks,
Ed

Ed
You should not get the drone even with the discs removed, they were designed that way. You definition of a drone may be different from others but if you feel you are getting this I would, get a set of 3/4 and 7/8 since you said it is not too loud and pull the sound tube out of the engine compartment. I doubt one inch will work for you in this case.

Try the 3/4 first and then the 7/8, leave them in for two weeks to get a good feel. I think you will like one or the other from what you stated. If it is still not working for you I would give the 5/8 discs a try. They sound small but they give a great sound and I received the most positive feedback from this size.

YellowBoss said:
Ed
You should not get the drone even with the discs removed, they were designed that way. You definition of a drone may be different from others but if you feel you are getting this I would, get a set of 3/4 and 7/8 since you said it is not too loud and pull the sound tube out of the engine compartment. I doubt one inch will work for you in this case.

Try the 3/4 first and then the 7/8, leave them in for two weeks to get a good feel. I think you will like one or the other from what you stated. If it is still not working for you I would give the 5/8 discs a try. They sound small but they give a great sound and I received the most positive feedback from this size.

I forgot about the sound tube. I will pull that and see/hear what effect that had. Thanks!

Ordered the 5/8 and 3/4" discs this morning. I can't wait to get them and here that lovely sound. 8) Thanks for providing these!!!

Anybody happen to be running cat delete pipes by chance? I've deleted the cats and running the side pipes completely open and it's way too loud for me. Just trying to get the right balance of sound....I'm thinking of maybe trying the 5/8 or 3/4 discs ?

Any opinions ?

NFSBOSS said:
If it's way too loud now I would start small and go bigger as needed. Many order 1/2" and 3/4" plus I have blank discs too.

I ordered the 1/2" and 3/4" discs this morning via PayPal.

Thanks !!

Gearhead31 said:
I ordered the 1/2" and 3/4" discs this morning via PayPal.

Thanks !!

Which size disks did you keep on your car? I'm going to be running long tubes and catless h-pipe. I already know they're going to be loud.

USNjocson said:
Which size disks did you keep on your car? I'm going to be running long tubes and catless h-pipe. I already know they're going to be loud.

The 1/2" discs are perfect, decent sound without being too loud and not as much of the annoying "jake brake" sound on decel.

Gearhead31 said:
The 1/2" discs are perfect, decent sound without being too loud and not as much of the annoying "jake brake" sound on decel.
Have you tried the 3/4"?

USN I was going to suggest you start with 3/4". While it's much louder than stock it's quite a bit quieter than wide open. I had mine wide open for a few back to back track days this Spring, then installed my stock discs for a 90 db track day at Laguna Seca and reinstalled my 7/8" discs a few weeks ago after LS. I have also run the 1/2" before. With each size you get louder with more jake brake effect. The 3/4" is a nice compromise between stock and wide open and I suspect it might be the same going in the opposite direction. OTOH your new exhaust system might be so loud that you might need smaller. Do you still have the stock discs?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

USNjocson said:
I am running 3/4" in my boss with ARH headers off road x-pipe and its not to loud either.

Thanks Rick for your quick shipment to Canada, great packaging and the best part was the quality of the plates.

Received mine on Monday and installed them. I'm running Kooks afterburners so for now I'm using the 1/2' inch ones. Thanks for the great parts and awesome service. Semper Fi !

NFSBOSS said:
Have you tried the 3/4"?

USN I was going to suggest you start with 3/4". While it's much louder than stock it's quite a bit quieter than wide open. I had mine wide open for a few back to back track days this Spring, then installed my stock discs for a 90 db track day at Laguna Seca and reinstalled my 7/8" discs a few weeks ago after LS. I have also run the 1/2" before. With each size you get louder with more jake brake effect. The 3/4" is a nice compromise between stock and wide open and I suspect it might be the same going in the opposite direction. OTOH your new exhaust system might be so loud that you might need smaller. Do you still have the stock discs?

Roger that, where do I sign up for a pair of 3/4?

BTW just wanted to post an observation of my current set-up. I am running Kooks long tubes, Kooks offroad quad with no side pipes at the moment. My kooks side pipes are getting powder coated so all I have is an OEM restrictor plate. With the OEM plate I hear a whistling noise at cruising speeds. It sounds like a hot tea kettle almost.

TMO Supporting Vendors