The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

exhaust pop in my 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This happens in all gears. Lets say if i'm in second gear doing about 3500rpm or so and let off to slow down and press on the loud pedal to resume speed, i'll get a small pop thru my exhaust. Just 1 pop. it sounds like the right side...hard to tell./ if i sit and just rev it i get no pop. i have roush axel backs for over a year and never had this before. car runs strong with no problems or tunes or TK. any ideas!

Sesshomurai

It's a "feature" of trackey. TK modifies the cam timing on closed throttle, adds fuel and burnoff to the exhaust to get a crackle-n-pop sound. Depending on your side pipe configuration and/or rear mufflers it may be more or less pronounced.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
This happens to me sometime as well, it's done it as long as I can remember. I think it's just a byproduct of the side pipes; I really don't mind it.

ArizonaGT said:
This happens to me sometime as well, it's done it as long as I can remember. I think it's just a byproduct of the side pipes; I really don't mind it.
Same here. I noticed it more when I had my side pipes wide open. It happens with both stock and TK tunes for me.

FWIW there is a bunch of talk right now on the Camaro side of the yard about running axle backs (increasing flow, like opening the side pipes) causing similar pops and a quick stutter when you are decelling and then quickly apply the gas. They are claiming the stutter will actually slow your acceleration, though it seems to me the only situation you are going to notice the lack of acceleration even if it is real (engine braking then mash the throttle to the floor) is when you are street racing from a roll, since heel-toe or non-asshat driving would not require you to stomp it like that. A friend of mine has one, he asked me if it was true and I told him to stop being a ***** and trade in on a Mustang ;D

Sesshomurai

CaliMR said:
FWIW there is a bunch of talk right now on the Camaro side of the yard about running axle backs (increasing flow, like opening the side pipes) causing similar pops and a quick stutter when you are decelling and then quickly apply the gas. They are claiming the stutter will actually slow your acceleration, though it seems to me the only situation you are going to notice the lack of acceleration even if it is real (engine braking then mash the throttle to the floor) is when you are street racing from a roll, since heel-toe or non-asshat driving would not require you to stomp it like that. A friend of mine has one, he asked me if it was true and I told him to stop being a ***** and trade in on a Mustang ;D

Its true because TK performs engine braking on decel. Which is useful for cornering at higher speeds.

TMO Supporting Vendors