The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

exhaust restrictor plates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Boss said:
CaliMR said:
We do need to get together sometime to put the two styles of PW Bosses together. I used to do a lot of fun runs over the mountains with the local motorcycle guys, that could be fun too.

This Sat the Team Shelby guys are doing a run from Saratoga to Half Moon Bay for lunch. You guys should go.

Would love this but unfortunately I'm on 'single dad' duty this entire weekend (wife will be out of town).

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
OK - I gotta say it - WHY THE %$#@ ARE THERE SO MANY POSTS RELATED TO THE DANG RESTRICTOR PLATE SIZE? IMHO, there's 2 ways to go, 3 at the MOST. If you have any stones at all and/or if you track the car you take them out, period. End of story. If you drive the car a lot on the street (which admittedly I do not do, LS-378 is a 'track rat'), and you have local police enforement that have nothing better to do then write you up I can see leaving them in. That's two options. Once you start getting into "I want to make it louder but not that loud" it just seems silly to me. And as for getting the right sound, there is only 1 sound and that's full bore, no plates. That's even what Ford wanted, hence how easy they made it to take them out with no residual effects of any kind.

Maybe I'm just cranky this morning ;D Go ahead let 're rip - but please don't tell me there is a 'sweet spot' in the sound if you use plates with a 33/64" hole or something insane like that...

BOSS X

Texas
PeteInCT said:
OK - I gotta say it - WHY THE %$#@ ARE THERE SO MANY POSTS RELATED TO THE DANG RESTRICTOR PLATE SIZE? IMHO, there's 2 ways to go, 3 at the MOST. If you have any stones at all and/or if you track the car you take them out, period. End of story. If you drive the car a lot on the street (which admittedly I do not do, LS-378 is a 'track rat'), and you have local police enforement that have nothing better to do then write you up I can see leaving them in. That's two options. Once you start getting into "I want to make it louder but not that loud" it just seems silly to me. And as for getting the right sound, there is only 1 sound and that's full bore, no plates. That's even what Ford wanted, hence how easy they made it to take them out with no residual effects of any kind.

Maybe I'm just cranky this morning ;D Go ahead let 're rip - but please don't tell me there is a 'sweet spot' in the sound if you use plates with a 33/64" hole or something insane like that...

4TH option: Get the QTP cutouts. Spend the money, you know you want to. ;)
The Boss was made for them, they were made for the Boss.
Then you can set them any way you like.

So anyway, it seems nobody has ever gotten a ticket for this? I doubt it would happen around here really, I hear plenty of cars that are even louder.

5th option: put a whistle tip in there

TheMarco, I have had mine out a while and no issues at all with the police. I have gotten a few thumbs up from the them though. They are not as loud as a lot of other cars or pretty much any Harley around here, and cops love domestics. If I still had an import, I might worry.

Fat Boss said:
PeteInCT said:
If you have any stones at all and/or if you track the car you take them out, period. End of story.

Uhh maybe where you live. At Laguna Seca you have to put them IN.
I was reading my new NorCal Shelby emagazine last night and they lowered the db limit to 90! I'm not sure my 7/8" will pass but I still have stock and 1/2".

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Fat Boss said:
PeteInCT said:
If you have any stones at all and/or if you track the car you take them out, period. End of story.

Uhh maybe where you live. At Laguna Seca you have to put them IN.

Uhh, if you have a DB limit on a given track then obviously you may need to keep them in, meaning the stock plates. My point was for the various sizes being made outside of specific track rules, so I believe I was pretty clear of the meaning of my post. I'd be curious to know the DB linit at Laguna, we have a 86 DB limit at LimeRock Park and they do not require me or any other Boss's that hav ebeen there to reinstall the plates.

Edit (after Rick's Post): If your limit is 90 db then their sample points must be pretty aggressive (a.k.a very close to the cars). At LRP the town is pretty much up in arms about the sound levels of non-pro races and even still I can run w/o restrictors on a 86 db limit track.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
The sample point is 50 feet away. I've never fun there and have no idea how loud are cars are so your reference is a good one. Looks like we don't need to worry about it. I'm still leaving my 7/8" discs in. :eek:

My reference is really only as good as how strict LimeRock Park (or any track) wants to be. I can tell you that how strict they are in interpreting the data and the physical attributes of the track (and their sample point position) has a everything to do with it.

What I did last year when the new regs came out is to bring the Boss there with the plates in and see what other cars (usually p-cars) are getting black flagged and which are not. Based on what I saw/heard I was able to tell that I'd be fine so I took them out at the track. They never have been back in since and I've never even gotten a warning ;D

Laguna Seca is pretty aggressive with the sound monitoring. I know several people who have an angled extension for their exhaust that angles it away from the meter when they run there though they have no issues at the other local tracks.

CaliMR said:
Laguna Seca is pretty aggressive with the sound monitoring. I know several people who have an angled extension for their exhaust that angles it away from the meter when they run there though they have no issues at the other local tracks.
Thanks. I don't think I'll need them but I'll be sure to throw my smaller discs in my tool box just in case.

Andy which discs did you use when you ran there?

5 DOT 0 said:
CaliMR said:
Thanks. I don't think I'll need them but I'll be sure to throw my smaller discs in my tool box just in case.

Andy which discs did you use when you ran there?

I threw the stock ones back in. The girl with the LS said there was no way I'd pass with them out so I put them in. They will give you warnings so you theoretically could find the limit and back off. The thing about Laguna is the humidity and temp change drastically during the day which greatly affects the sound characteristics.

I haven't run the Boss at LS yet, I was speaking from experience with other cars. Guys who run P cars and RX7s and other noisy cars have issues there, which they don't have at Infineon, THill, etc and will run deflectors on the pipe end. Just need to point it away from the meter for most cars.

Fat Boss said:
I threw the stock ones back in. The girl with the LS said there was no way I'd pass with them out so I put them in. They will give you warnings so you theoretically could find the limit and back off. The thing about Laguna is the humidity and temp change drastically during the day which greatly affects the sound characteristics.
Thanks. I install my 1/2" discs and bring my stock ones with my. My trunk monkey won't be happy about it though. He likes it as loud as possible.

TMO Supporting Vendors