The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

exhaust restrictor plates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace72ace said:
Is Fatboss fat? Or just needs to lose a few pounds...? <I'll be here all week, try the veal>

I think I'll be getting some disks from Scott. Wonder if his are slotted?

I understand slotted but no exactly sure what you are looking for. In any case if you tell me what you want I can ask them to make up a set, let me know.

I think he means like what I did, instead of a hole for the screw you cut out one side so it is a deep groove. You can just crack the bolts and then slide them in or out instead of removing the whole pipe section. Takes 2 minutes to do it.

The thing is, by the time I got around to making them, I had decided to just leave them out all the time.

I used thin sheet aluminum from the hardware store, I mean really thin, and a tin snips. Traced the old ones, cut with the snips, then used one of the pyramid drill bits to make the holes and snipped out a groove to the side holes. It does not need to be metal as thick as the OEM one, the exhaust isn't going to blow out thin aluminum.

My bad, it is galvanized. You can see the grooves instead of holes, and how thin it is. This is after about 300 miles of use, other than the soot there is no damage or deformation or signs of overheating. Why two holes? I was trying out a bunch of different hole shapes/sizes to see about eliminating the j-brake sound. Didn't seem to make a difference. You do want the little tab I left on the side, so you can grip them to pull them out when it is barely cracked open.

IMG-20120512-00349.jpg

IMG-20120512-00350.jpg

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
CaliMR said:
I think he means like what I did, instead of a hole for the screw you cut out one side so it is a deep groove. You can just crack the bolts and then slide them in or out instead of removing the whole pipe section. Takes 2 minutes to do it.

The thing is, by the time I got around to making them, I had decided to just leave them out all the time.

I used thin sheet aluminum from the hardware store, I mean really thin, and a tin snips. Traced the old ones, cut with the snips, then used one of the pyramid drill bits to make the holes and snipped out a groove to the side holes. It does not need to be metal as thick as the OEM one, the exhaust isn't going to blow out thin aluminum.

You are correct, this is what I meant. Sure is cheaper than the QTP cutouts. I may just make my own as well...

Fat Boss said:
Does my car make me look fat? Lol

Good meeting you Marco. Anytime you need to escape come on down!

Awesome. I'll be back :D

By the way has anyone here ever gotten noise tickets? While I LOVE it, it's pretty darn loud!

Today I was out with my daughter in it for a bit and I did that lovely downshift-full-throttle passing thing on the highway. Especially with the windows rolled down the sound was like an evil orchestra from hell. Amazing.

She told me the guy in the car we passed made a face looking like this:

scaled.php

:D

ace72ace said:
You are correct, this is what I meant. Sure is cheaper than the QTP cutouts. I may just make my own as well...

I made some sets for testing when I first got my Boss. You can do it but for the price of these, is your time worth it? The discs I have are stainless steel and 18 gauge, you will install them for life. This is one reason I had these made since I was unsure how the thin discs I cut in the garage would hold up, one less thing to worry about.

As far as making them slotted, I thought about that but these are very simple to replace. Most people will install a set they like and leave them in. Once you loosen the bolts, slotted or not you need to adjust the pipes again so I saw no need to make them this way. I have tried to keep this project simple and cheap.

2012YellowBoss said:
ace72ace said:

I made some sets for testing when I first got my Boss. You can do it but for the price of these, is your time worth it? The discs I have are stainless steel and 18 gauge, you will install them for life. This is one reason I had these made since I was unsure how the thin discs I cut in the garage would hold up, one less thing to worry about.

As far as making them slotted, I thought about that but these are very simple to replace. Most people will install a set they like and leave them in. Once you loosen the bolts, slotted or not you need to adjust the pipes again so I saw no need to make them this way. I have tried to keep this project simple and cheap.

Are there any sound clips / videos out there of what it sounds like with your discs in? Is it better than running with no discs?

TheMarco said:
2012YellowBoss said:
ace72ace said:

Are there any sound clips / videos out there of what it sounds like with your discs in? Is it better than running with no discs?
They're inexpensive. Order up a set of 3/4" and give them a try. If wide open is too loud for you this will be a good starting point. I have 1/2", 3/4", and 7/8" and am currently running 7/8". At times, mostly when I'm trying to talk on my cell, they can be just a touch loud at fwy speeds. The rest of the time they sound great. ;D

2012 is right, you will figure out what you like and leave it there. I tried a bunch of different hole sizes is why I made a bunch of them then kept boring them out bigger to see how it changed. I'm just that type of person, I wanted to be sure I had the size I wanted. In the end, they are staying out. I have one slotted set with a small hole for if I have to go on a long highway trip (200 miles of interstate to the track) or if I need to keep a relatively low profile. With the black key, I would leave them in but with red key the j-brake is not too bad. I also cut off the band and repositioned it so it won't rattle on the floor, so adjusting them is not a big deal. I just get them kind of close, not like the little overlap will hurt flow as the pipes are so tight further down. Takes a minute each side to get them in or out with a ratcheting wrench. And since I only have them in every once in a while, the thin material is fine for me.

7/8 is pretty good, you could order them or the 3/4 and if it isn't loud enough drill them out. I use one of the pyramid style bits and it is easy.

I actually found the noise pretty much like with the plates in when cruising 65-70 on the freeway. To me it only seems a lot louder when revving it up (which is addictive and probably causing me not getting much more than 15mpg out of this thing so far)

CaliMR said:
15... you must not be out of the break in. I got 12 today and half was the highway

Yay! You're in CA as well right? Where the gas for some reason has to cost a dollar more than the US average. At least we get fun out of it.

I'm a stone's throw from Stanford. Our gas costs more for a lot of reasons, but I make sure and burn a little extra to offset all the Prii on my block. Just took a run up over Pagemill then hitched north on Skyline/35 to La Honda west then pealed off on Pescadero road, then down 1 to Santa Cruz for some ribs at Cole's. Ended up taking 17 back as my belly was full and I was a little tired. Pagemill used to be great, but it has got to seed lately. Taking La Honda up and over then pealing on Pescadero is the way to do it, if you can avoid getting stuck being Prii. If you don't know those roads, look them up. I used to also make runs down highway 9 going west from 35, but the Boss is a big car and that windy goat trail is more fun in something light.

CaliMR said:
I'm a stone's throw from Stanford. Our gas costs more for a lot of reasons, but I make sure and burn a little extra to offset all the Prii on my block. Just took a run up over Pagemill then hitched north on Skyline/35 to La Honda west then pealed off on Pescadero road, then down 1 to Santa Cruz for some ribs at Cole's. Ended up taking 17 back as my belly was full and I was a little tired. Pagemill used to be great, but it has got to seed lately. Taking La Honda up and over then pealing on Pescadero is the way to do it, if you can avoid getting stuck being Prii. If you don't know those roads, look them up. I used to also make runs down highway 9 going west from 35, but the Boss is a big car and that windy goat trail is more fun in something light.

If you're ever in the Silicon Valley area during the day you should come have lunch with me at the Yahoo! campus :)

We do need to get together sometime to put the two styles of PW Bosses together. I used to do a lot of fun runs over the mountains with the local motorcycle guys, that could be fun too.

TheMarco said:

I just bumped this thread
https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/after-market-discs/
and this thread has vids also
https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/experimenting-with-exhaust-discs/
As far as what is better, that is personal and I can not tell you what is better. Many people like the wide open sound while many others are running discs ranging from 1/2 to one inch. Seems the only thing we all agree on is the factory discs hole is a bit too small.

CaliMR said:
We do need to get together sometime to put the two styles of PW Bosses together. I used to do a lot of fun runs over the mountains with the local motorcycle guys, that could be fun too.

This Sat the Team Shelby guys are doing a run from Saratoga to Half Moon Bay for lunch. You guys should go.

TMO Supporting Vendors