The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exhaust sound pop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
06GT to 13LS said:
I don't have any intentions of street racing idiots with turboed hamster wheels. I just want to drown out their rediculously annoying fart cans. They can try to run on me, I will just laugh when a VA trooper has them on the side of the road.
lol me either but they usually at least try to get me too lol

It is usually CTS-Vs and M3s that like to rev at me, though the Escape that tried to do a fwd burnout next to me at a light was pretty funny. I always just let them go.

MA
For a really good sound combo, I tried this and am very happy with it:

- Plates removed
- GT500 mufflers ( with mufflers painted flat black but stock polished tips)
- Removed the foam baffle behind the clutch pedal in the intake sound tube.

Now, you can hear the intake more, but not annoyingly so, and it sounds nice on the track between 5-7.5 rpm.

Will be going with Long Tubes very shortly as well, but keeping the GT500's as I love them.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Can you post up how your GT500's look like with the end painted? Did you use hi-temp krylon or grille paint?

SVT1 said:
For a really good sound combo, I tried this and am very happy with it:

- Plates removed
- GT500 mufflers ( with mufflers painted flat black but stock polished tips)
- Removed the foam baffle behind the clutch pedal in the intake sound tube.

Now, you can hear the intake more, but not annoyingly so, and it sounds nice on the track between 5-7.5 rpm.

Will be going with Long Tubes very shortly as well, but keeping the GT500's as I love them.

I painted the backside of the GT500 mufflers as well; heated them up with a heat gun and sprayed them w/Rustoleum high temp black for a cleaner look back there.

So what causes this? Is this unburnt fuel being lit up in the exhaust? What is the technical explanation for this? My daily (high strung Acura RSX-S) does it VERY occasionally. Does the H pipe make this effect more pronounced? Also the 3K->2K decel burble, not sure how I feel about it yet. (I have the baffles off)

TMO Supporting Vendors