The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exhaust Tone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I guess being a guitar player & a Boss driver maaaay be a bad combo. After my long road trip to Track Attack and then Oregon wine country, I noticed the "tone" of my exhaust lost some upper mids/highs. I'm up over 5000 miles. Changed the exhaust plates to 3/4" and got more "burble" and growl, but didn't get back any more high end. While I like it, I'm surprised that the tone changed so much with the mileage, at least to my ears. Anyone else notice a change in exhaust tone after a few thousand miles?

Just for reference, I went through many distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals with my guitars to find "the tone." OK, some may have no idea what I'm talking about...I'm OK with that... ::)

Yes. The new mufflers "burn in" if you will and will become deeper sounding (more bass to you ;) ) after several hundred miles. My GT500 mufflers did the same thing when I installed them. I personally like the deeper sound but that's personal taste.

I assume you still have the stock Axel backs on? You could switch them out for Borla S-Type or ATAK's (I have ATAK's), I hear the new GT500 (double barrel) exhausts sound great too...

Keep in mind there are TONS of things you can do to the exhaust to make it sound different, from different headers to switching the Xpipe to the HPipe, Long Tube Over Axel Pipes, Wider Opening Side Exhausts (Kooks), etc...

Fiddler49 said:
So I guess being a guitar player & a Boss driver maaaay be a bad combo. After my long road trip to Track Attack and then Oregon wine country, I noticed the "tone" of my exhaust lost some upper mids/highs. I'm up over 5000 miles. Changed the exhaust plates to 3/4" and got more "burble" and growl, but didn't get back any more high end. While I like it, I'm surprised that the tone changed so much with the mileage, at least to my ears. Anyone else notice a change in exhaust tone after a few thousand miles?

Just for reference, I went through many distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals with my guitars to find "the tone." OK, some may have no idea what I'm talking about...I'm OK with that... ::)

I stuck a OCD in front of my axlebacks and now the tone is more Plexi ish :)

NFSBOSS said:
Yes. The new mufflers "burn in" if you will and will become deeper sounding (more bass to you ;) ) after several hundred miles. My GT500 mufflers did the same thing when I installed them. I personally like the deeper sound but that's personal taste.
Thanks Rick, had a feeling that might be the case. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't hearing degredation due to windows down WOT runs. ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors