The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
I was planning on removing the side disks (baffles) this weekend. For normal use, no track key - is there really a big difference? Also - are there any negatives to removing them? Is there a reason why people are drilling bigger holes as opposed to just removing? Reasons like warranty or car not passing inspection? Live in New York. Sorry if these are stupid questions, but any advice would be great.

Thanks.

There is a significant difference in cabin sound volume under acceleration between stock disks and no disks. Many love the no disk sound, others do not. Its easy enough to try and if it to loud, a 5/8" hole is about 1/2 way.

VWGTI123 said:
I was planning on removing the side disks (baffles) this weekend. For normal use, no track key - is there really a big difference? Also - are there any negatives to removing them? Is there a reason why people are drilling bigger holes as opposed to just removing? Reasons like warranty or car not passing inspection? Live in New York. Sorry if these are stupid questions, but any advice would be great.

Thanks.

No discs at all is the way to go IMO and it is a big difference! My instructor that I had this week at WGI wondered if it was the stock exhaust as it sounded so gooood! And no issues with inspection either as I live in NY also.

06mach1 said:
VWGTI123 said:

Thanks.

No discs at all is the way to go IMO and it is a big difference! My instructor that I had this week at WGI wondered if it was the stock exhaust as it sounded so gooood! And no issues with inspection either as I live in NY also.

+1 do it and never look back , dont worry it wont be insane loud and crazy sounding but it will make finally perfect sense why you bought that car, and thats coming from a city guy. now if you like tasty , try Scott's (2012YellowBoss) 7/8 discs they are a gentleman's good taste.

I'm still planning on fabbing megaphones like the old race cars for the side pipes. I need the plate where they connect, the rest I can fab myself but that piece is too thick for my hand tools ;D

VWGTI123 said:

There are no negatives to removing the discs besides your own personal taste in sound. You will have no problems passing inspection and will not damage the car or affect your warranty.

The reason I and many others have installed discs with different size opening that are bigger then the factory discs and less then wide open is all about sound. While there is no drone wide open some people use the car as a DD and want it quieter then wide open for everyday use. I drove my car for several weeks without the discs when new but did not like the Jake Brake sound or popping noise. That is why I cut some discs of different sizes to see the effect they would have. Starting at 1/2 inch and up to one inch size. I found that even a 1/8 inch difference makes a big difference in the exhaust note.

You can hear the different sound each disc makes in this thread, if you have any questions you can PM or send me an email.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/after-market-discs/

I am about to pull the trigger on some Corsa Extremes Axlebacks for my Boss. Do I need new clamps or can I reuse the old ones? A prior thread indicated these had to be cut off?

BossTXB said:
I am about to pull the trigger on some Corsa Extremes Axlebacks for my Boss. Do I need new clamps or can I reuse the old ones? A prior thread indicated these had to be cut off?

Corsa Xtremes come with new clamps. There in the pink bag in the below photo.

IMG_7765.JPG

The MBRP race mufflers do sound nice IMO ... But I want to hear some more of the FRPP SVT Sports or the Kooks and the Steeda ones.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
Sweet. Are they a lot louder than the GT500's were?
they are deeper and louder but not crazy loud...just right. down fall is less back pressure so the "popping" on decel from the side pipes is a lot less "think silver key". The lopey idle is much more noticeable with this set up.

Was is worth the 350 bucks I paid....your damn right it was. Would I pay full price...yup. Am I selling the GT500 mufflers for 260 shipped...sure am

TMO Supporting Vendors