The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I drilled the side exhaust baffles to 1/2"
Installed Borla S-type Stingers. The Borlas have a nice deep tone at idle, they roar when you get on it, and they are 100% drone free at crusing speeds. They come with a 1 million mile warranty.
Go to Borla.com and they test 3 axelbacks on a Mustang.

Dave

Phiffzooted said:
What's a good ford racing cat back exhaust for the boss ?? Any suggestions
The GT500 mufflers are excellent sounding for their price point. I run 7/8" discs with mine and it's loud enough for my taste. They provide a much deeper sound compared to the stock mufflers and don't have the double exhaust tip plus they are a bit lighter.

funny, a buddy's shop installed the corsa extreme on my car today :D

there's no drone when cruising on highway at any rpm range, it idle like stock. but when you open it up it has this really mean bark and sounds fantastic. the quality of the exhaust is top notch. i love it!

I like the Shelby's my bro has a 07 with every mod u can think of
I really like ford racing products and really want a nice exhaust from them I have magna flow on my 04 Mach 1 and not too happy with that exhaust and wanted try something diffent on my boss when it arrives appreciate the suggestions going to check them all out

5 DOT 0 said:
Phiffzooted said:
What's a good ford racing cat back exhaust for the boss ?? Any suggestions
The GT500 mufflers are excellent sounding for their price point. I run 7/8" discs with mine and it's loud enough for my taste. They provide a much deeper sound compared to the stock mufflers and don't have the double exhaust tip plus they are a bit lighter.

I think the gt500 ones are the best they sound great and I put a qtp electric as for my side pipes allows you to go either way anytime.

A few years ago a popular axel back was the SLP Loudmouth on the GT 500's.
(totally different engine than the 4.6. But the 4.6 really sounded nice and tuned so to speak with a good quality system)
The 500's were loud but sounded good and was much cheaper than mufflers. The big thing that made those cars really loud was no cats (especially with headers, they were stupid loud) About the 500's. There were only a couple I heard that I can say really sounded good. Something about the head, valve or X pipe design.?? Not sure why.

I would like to hear a Boss with the SLP's. I bet it would sound nice above 4,000 I am tempted to do it just out of curiosity but if I put headers on it later it would most likely be too loud then.

Any body done this??

Loudmouth has a sound clip, though it is on a GT

http://www.americanmuscle.com/slp-lm-axleback-11gt.html

I actually don't like the sound in the clip, the Coyote/Roadrunner is not the best sounding V8 Ford has built (Windsor imo) and needs more bass. Though I would like to hear one with true straight pipes, no cats no nothing, but I could never get away with that here. Even the loudmouths would probably be an issue.

Has anyone tried clamping off the rears (or putting a baffle) and removing the side baffles? The side pipes look pretty constricted, but since it is shorter and no mufflers it might compare decently with the tight baffle stock setup. If I ever get around to fabbing megaphone side pipes I am going to try it. Cops will love it.

Just talked to my buddy who worked on the Mustang design, he didn't work on the Boss but he says the side pipes alone should flow at least as well as the stock setup with the tiny hole. I am not sure he is right, but that is good enough to give it a try. Will report back once I get around to it.

ArizonaGT said:
The side pipes constrict down to 1" diameter within the pipes, no way is that going to replace a 2.5". They are for sound only.

I have to dissagree because the 1" area you are talking about is how wide? Looks to me like it is the normal pipe flattened out that would be the same as if it was not flattened.

Looking at a pick, the pipes upstream of the crossover are smaller than the big pipes further down, and you avoid the resonators and the mufflers. But the side pipes are pretty thin, even taking into account how with the flattened part is. It also looks like the back will be harder to block than I thought as it has just that slip clamp, not a junction like the side pipes. I guess I could stuff something in the tips just to test it.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
jeepinocala said:
I have to dissagree because the 1" area you are talking about is how wide? Looks to me like it is the normal pipe flattened out that would be the same as if it was not flattened.

No, I'm talking about the intermediate pipe before you get to the flat portion. A guy on TMS/SVTPP already cross-sectioned them.

TMO Supporting Vendors