The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know I bought a expensive car but I just have a problem paying what they want for these mufflers. I am older and remember paying $125.00 for a set of Hooker headers and $79.00 for Headman headers.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
regalt87 said:
I know I bought a expensive car but I just have a problem paying what they want for these mufflers. I am older and remember paying $125.00 for a set of Hooker headers and $79.00 for Headman headers.
oh man am I with you on that. I had a full exhaust on my 96 cobra for less than what some of these axle backs are going for. on my o6 I made my own magna flow axle back. cut the inlet pipe off the stock mufflers welded them to a pair of magna flow universals and welded on some 3" magna flow tips my buddy had laying around...total cost 125 bucks vs the 400 something magnaflow wanted for basically the same thing. here is a pic of them
564369_382600275105883_100000677422918_1218752_1106547992_n.jpg

ArizonaGT said:
jeepinocala said:
I have to dissagree because the 1" area you are talking about is how wide? Looks to me like it is the normal pipe flattened out that would be the same as if it was not flattened.

No, I'm talking about the intermediate pipe before you get to the flat portion. A guy on TMS/SVTPP already cross-sectioned them.

I remember that post but I thought he said it was a 7/8" choke?

I think Kooks is working on a high flow side pipe for the Boss which should be crazy loud if that your thing.

cloud9 said:
Bill Pemberton said:
Good axle back is a Corsa -- crisp sound and no resonance.
I put the Corsa Extremes on about a month after I got it. Sounds amazing and dropped about 30 lbs.

How much louder is it than stock? I have tried to get an idea from videos online but it is too hard to compare one video to another.

cloud9 said:
Bill Pemberton said:
I put the Corsa Extremes on about a month after I got it. Sounds amazing and dropped about 30 lbs.

I also have the Corsa Xtremes.

Here is a video if you haven't seen it yet. Crank the volume to 10 to get the true sound level. FYI the video was shot with 3/4" disks not 1/2". I must have had to many beers when doing the edit. ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QJEsqdet0t0[/youtube]

BossJockey said:
cloud9 said:
Bill Pemberton said:

I also have the Corsa Xtremes.

Here is a video if you haven't seen it yet. Crank the volume to 10 to get the true sound level. FYI the video was shot with 3/4" disks not 1/2". I must have had to many beers when doing the edit. ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QJEsqdet0t0[/youtube]

BossJockey, it seems like there are 4 different sections to the video. Can you explain which is which? :)

Teamsketch said:
cloud9 said:
Bill Pemberton said:

How much louder is it than stock? I have tried to get an idea from videos online but it is too hard to compare one video to another.

Stock with stock side disks or open sides? The black key idle is not much louder than stock. The Trackey idle is louder than stock. At 80 mph with the windows up, the cabin noise level with the Xtremes and stock to 1/2" disks is similar to if you were running stock mufflers and 7/8" to no disks. The biggest difference is under hard acceleration. They're loud under acceleration but not to bad on the inside of the car. I had a coworker that was behind me at a light tell me the next day that my car sounds awesome. ;D

Teamsketch said:
BossJockey, it seems like there are 4 different sections to the video. Can you explain which is which? :)

There were two videos shot. 1 with stock mufflers and open side pipes. The other with Corsa Xtremes and 3/4" disks in the side pipes. The edit just switched back and forth between the two and then to inside with the Xtremes.

BossJockey said:
Teamsketch said:
cloud9 said:
Bill Pemberton said:

Stock with stock side disks or open sides? The black key idle is not much louder than stock. The Trackey idle is louder than stock. At 80 mph with the windows up, the cabin noise level with the Xtremes and stock to 1/2" disks is similar to if you were running stock mufflers and 7/8" to no disks. The biggest difference is under hard acceleration. They're loud under acceleration but not to bad on the inside of the car. I had a coworker that was behind me at a light tell me the next day that my car sounds awesome. ;D

OK, currently I am running stock exhaust, open side pipes and trackey. I was planning on running the xtremes with open pipes and trackey. I notice that with the regular key, stock exhaust, and open side pipes the sound at 80mph is just fine. With trackey, stock exhaust, and open pipes at 80mph the sound is a little louder, but still ok but for long trips I would probably run the regular key instead. I love the side pipes open but am looking for a deeper, louder sound from the rear under throttle.

I just had my first chance to run the car this past weekend with the trackey. The pops and snarls on the overrun with open side pipes is insane. ;D

Open sides and stock exhaust on the regular key for a 3 hour highway drive, it got pretty old. It wasn't much louder than with a 7/8 restrictor on the way there, but at least it kept me awake. Side pipes open is the way to go on the track, with the helmet on the pops are about all you can hear.

Corsa.... They are quiet when need be, and loud when you want them to be. No drone, either. Really good fit, also. ;D

I just installed the GT500 mufflers.They have a great sound.I can't understand why the were not the OEM muffler.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
302BOB said:
Gww52, I run my side pipes wide open. Do you think I would hear a difference if I put the GT 500's on? Are they louder or just deeper sounding?
That's how I'm running my YB Boss. Yes, there is a noticeable difference- not a big difference, but noticeable. The sound is louder and has a deeper rumble.

I have my sidepipes at 3/4".You could not even hear the exhaust note from the rear before the change.Now there is a great blend from side and rear.My car was just too quiet before.

If anyone in the Knoxville area wants to hear the Corsa Xtremes on a Boss feel free to shoot me a PM, also I plan on going to Cars & Coffee at European Auto Garage this Saturday.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The Corsa Extremes also will allow you to say , " Ohio, Ohio, Ohio, " instead of " China, China, China." Handbuilt in the US in Berea , Ohio, I frankly don't think there is a better catback made. It is a bit more money , but the fit and finish and the R&D they do on their systems is second to none. Axleback or catback , definitely the way to go in my estimation.

And since Cloud9 , Bossjockey and myself endorse them , it is now a required upgrade for Competition Orange Bosses, ha,ha!

Bill Pemberton said:
The Corsa Extremes also will allow you to say , " Ohio, Ohio, Ohio, " instead of " China, China, China." Handbuilt in the US in Berea , Ohio, I frankly don't think there is a better catback made. It is a bit more money , but the fit and finish and the R&D they do on their systems is second to none. Axleback or catback , definitely the way to go in my estimation.

And since Cloud9 , Bossjockey and myself endorse them , it is now a required upgrade for Competition Orange Bosses, ha,ha!

they have a catback? i thought they only had axleback...

TMO Supporting Vendors