The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Explain MyLaps to me like I'm an idiot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I bought a MyLaps X2 transponder locally for my eventual foray into time trials. The problem is I have absolutely no idea what to do with the thing. The website mentions tons of features and how accurate it is but I don't see anything that says how to use it. Where does it need to be mounted? It also came with a "racekey", what do I do with that? Do I need anything else?

Explain this to me like I'm 5. Please.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Write off any of the features they advertise, they're purposely obscure by design, especially the online ones.

What it will do is work with any timing/scoring entity that's compatible with amb transponders. The racekey is used to load the time-limited license onto the transponder and renewals. Mounting of the transponder itself should be low and as forward on the car as is safe. Mine hangs from a mount on the passenger frame rail just behind the bumper skin and works well.

They're among the worst companies in motorsports, but a necessary evil. Pegasus has some good resources to help get you started: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/document.asp?DocID=TECH00130

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Do you have a picture of how it's mounted? Does orientation matter?
Upright, facing the ground with a clear view of the asphalt as close to the track as possible.
I went through all those questions as well and ended up calling Winding road and talking to an installer who gave me some useful info.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here is mine, hanging from the cable but this is basically where it mounts so you have some sort of visual.x2.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Does it have clear view of the asphalt? I was told it has to see the ground.

i was told the arrow is supposed to face forward the direction you are driving. I didnt want to rill into my splitter so i mounted it facing the asphalt. It works perfect so i dunno

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
i was told the arrow is supposed to face forward the direction you are driving. I didnt want to rill into my splitter so i mounted it facing the asphalt. It works perfect so i dunno
Apparently none of this matters....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
😂😂😂🤷🏻‍♂️

my track coach said i can keep it in the glovebox if i want. It all works when i forgot it in there once.
That's crazy all the disinformation we got....

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Here's what I came up with. I just used a couple scrap pieces of 1/8" aluminum and made a mount that utilizes the license plate screws. It's easy to get to and could easily be swapped to another car if the need arose.

IMG_1485.JPGIMG_1486.JPGIMG_1487.JPGIMG_1489.JPGIMG_1490.JPG

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
I put mine in the wheel well just behind the strut. Works great. The race key is in the passenger compartment and zip tied to the console. Power comes from the plug in the console so I unplug it when not on track.

20180418_021708.jpg

I will never own one of these..
I went to DVR the Ohio race, had no idea how to do it, I watched the youtube vid, first thing it said was "find the DVR button on your remote".
There was no DVR button on the remote
I put it down, got a cup of coffee and called a friend who DVR'd it for me.
I went over to his house and watched it.
I miss VCRs

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I will never own one of these..
I went to DVR the Ohio race, had no idea how to do it, I watched the youtube vid, first thing it said was "find the DVR button on your remote".
There was no DVR button on the remote
I put it down, got a cup of coffee and called a friend who DVR'd it for me.
I went over to his house and watched it.
I miss VCRs
Totally, I have to have my son help me with these things now.
As soon as I get something figured out there's an update and it changes everything.
This is a different world than we grew up in my friend, that's for sure.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel